Im screwed... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Im screwed...

No more riding this year...
Found my spark issue, fixed the wires, but still intermittant...took of the cover to expose the coils...2.5 quarts drained out with gas in it....needless to say, need to change out oil and filter, but now I can at least see the level window, lol...apparently, on my front carb, float is/was stuck, and when the rear ran, the front was dumping gas into my crank....luckily I caught this before too long, and hopefully no seal/bearing ills...Im just ticked off because its supposed to be high 6's here this week and really hoped to get down to my Mom's...
Gonna change out oil, clean the carbs (et al), run it a week, then change oil and filter again....sadly though, means I wont be putting anythinfg else on the bike this year, unless a trade.
BTW...any ideas of how to clean the coils/electrics from oil ?...I thought mebbe ether....but Im walking around in a daze now....FTW...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

BTW...any ideas of how to clean the coils/electrics from oil ?...I thought mebbe ether....but Im walking around in a daze now....FTW...

I have used (Walmart special) regular brake spray cleaner... cover/avoid your shiny/waxed tins.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Not sure what you are talking about as far as the coils go. There is no oil around the coils, other than the stator, which is designed to run in oil.

Gas in the oil shouldn't hurt anything unless there was an awful lot of it, and you put a heavy load on the engine. If it was only running on one cylinder, I doubt that was possible. Unfortunately one of the design flaws with the Vulcan 750 carbs is that they will dump gas into the engine if a float sticks or a needle valve does not seal and the fuel level in the float bowl gets too high. On 4 of my remaining bikes, and my recently sold Ninja 500, this was not possible, because an overflow tube (basically like the standpipe on the petcock) connected to the float bowl allows fuel to run out the drains before it goes into the engine. Liquid gas in a cylinder can be far worse than getting gas in the oil. It can cause hydrolock, which usually does considerable damage to the engine.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Best stuff to get oil off electrical stuff is.............

.....TaDa... Electrical cleaner. (duh? Right?)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=119711_0_0_

Radio shack sells cans of "electric contact cleaner"... That's what I use.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

bummer wolfie. been one thing after another for you, but then the girl was neglected and abused before you got her. I'm not following about the 2.5 qts either. i think if you clean everything with the electrical cleaner, fix your carb issue and put in fresh oil you should be able to ride a lil more. that cleaner evaps really quickly and should dry everything. plus you don't have an pita box (air box) to contend with so the carbs shouldn't be too haneous... good luck mun.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 11-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Wow Wolfie, did someone put a vodoo hex on your bike without your knowledge
Just kidding bro.
Those little float needle valves in the carbs are touchy. I had purchased 3 new valves to stop one of my carbs from dumping all that fuel into the crankcase. I finally installed the 3rd new needle valve and it cured my problems. I learned to shut off the petcock every time i got off the bike, but im use to doing that from my early ( aka ta '60's) days of bike ownership. A bad fuel bowl float will cause the same problems. Get your blood pressure back to normal and approach the repairs as a challenge and conquer it!

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

...breathe, breathe...no trigger yet...

...whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

...been a helluva long day fer me......damned thing was runnin so great, got over 100 mi on it before it gave me chicken crap....
No biggie...borrowed a cuppla bucks for a cigar and a $5 bottle of vodka, and since was 66 deg here today, got into my outside tub and soaked fer an hour with my AK at my side....lol....siiiiigh....

Quote:
I have used (Walmart special) regular brake spray cleaner... cover/avoid your shiny/waxed tins.
Would be like "Brakeclean" I imagine and wrecks havoc on any plastics. Need a gentiler cleaner.

Quote:
There is no oil around the coils, other than the stator, which is designed to run in oil.
Unless crankase is overfilled as Ive stated.

Quote:
unless there was an awful lot of it, and you put a heavy load on the engine
ANY gas in the crankase is bad, my friend, as it removes lubricants from many vital parts. I know this from my hot rodder days in the 70's...

Luckily I think I caught it quick enough, and just need to do the carb fix now (and oil change)....but before this, I couldnt see the oil level in the sightglass...NOW I CAN ! The gas cleaned off my sightglass !!!...lololool...

I got Contact Cleaner from when my uncs worked for RCA and NASA...was my first guess, thanks bro...

Quote:
Wow Wolfie, did someone put a vodoo hex on your bike without your knowledge
Just kidding bro.
Quote:
bummer wolfie. been one thing after another for you
...well...you guys may laugh...but Im a Pagan...its what all my ancesstors were...and I believe in curses and such....44 yrs ago, a Czech witch placed a curse on my dad and all males after....my dad died 2 years later, and my life's been hell since...I could fix it, by well...you wouldnt be interested....but ya, my life's been cursed...seriously....
Sokay though...this MF dont give up...never have never will...stubborn cuss I am. I'll get this japper Scoot runnin yet....I got a dead 68' 441 BSA Victor to run like a top and made a bobber outta it (before they called em that), I can fix this whoore of a bike to sing again....

Hey brothers........thanks all fer yer help...if not for the moral support alone...sometimes thats even more important in my case....especially since I been giving up a lot lately... (ie...FTW)....it just sucks....first bike in 27 years, all was fine and now "bend over Wolfie"...ya know ?.....if it wasnt for you guys, I wouldda called my Angel buddies to come and trash this thing....thanks guys...*big hugs*....and I frickin mean it....

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Wolfie is a VN750 ridder, he'll just flip the dust of his leather jacket again and then all you'll see behind him is dust again,,, Varooomm.... off on his merry way again

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Yeah when they go, they GO... but when they **** the bed, we say where'd my money go? LOL. Sorry, I'm spent and must sleep now. G'night forum....

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
well...you guys may laugh...but Im a Pagan...its what all my ancesstors were...and I believe in curses and such....44 yrs ago, a Czech witch placed a curse on my dad and all males after....my dad died 2 years later, and my life's been hell since...I could fix it, by well...you wouldnt be interested....but ya, my life's been cursed...seriously....
I dated a girl that practiced white wiccan back when I was a pup. We were only like 18 but she was really serious about it. She included me in a couple rituals that were pretty cool (drinking the moon, the "wind" ritual, etc.) but I had to draw the line eventually. Man, that girl was fun, gorgeous too. Yo, her name was Wendy. How funny is that, "Wendy the Witch." Hmmm, I wonder what she's up to these days. Are witches on Facebook? LOL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement