Any advice going forward with repairs? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Any advice going forward with repairs?

Stupid cager ran my bike over right outside my workplace. Security won't let me see the tapes citing privacy issues. They argue they would need a police warrant to do so. I have a description of the culprit, and she supposedly works around there. I'm fairly certain I will catch her one of these days and make her pay for what she did.
Here are the apparent damages:
Broken ignition switch (buying one from Dave)
Loose back fender and saddlebag supports (broken screw maybe?)
Bent break pedal (bend back into place?)
Bent brake handle (bend back into place?)
Please comment on how I ought to proceed. I highly appreciate any input. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 AM

First of all, I'm sorry about your bike, bro. It totally sucks; and knowing how much work I've put into my bike (as I'm sure you have, too) I would be completely pissed.

I'm gonna make a couple assumptions here, based on what you've said above: 1) This was an accident and the cager didn't do this maliciously. 2) The at-fault party has insurance and by rights the damages should receive recompense.

I can't offer much help on the mechanical side of your situation, but indulge me in offering this bit of friendly advice. If my assumptions are correct, then treat this incident for what it is -- an accident. The cager may be stupid, irresponsible, etc, etc; and you may be mad as hell right now (which is natural); you may also be simply venting in your post (which this forum is a safe place to do that -- we understand). But, if you have any serious thoughts about getting revenge -- my friendly advice, brother, is let it go. It'll only cause you more grief and won't get your bike back on the road any faster.

I'll stop now, so I don't start preaching or meddling too much (maybe I should have quit at "sorry about your bike" LOL). Concentrate on getting your baby back together. Let's ride! [Back to minding my own business now].

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Replace both your brake pedal and lever. Those bits are too important to mess around with! I have one of each - pm and we can talk about a reasonable low price and how to ship to you.

BTW, I agree with what johnm says above - assume it's an accident and see if you can settle out with her. If what you've described is the bulk of the damage, she can pay for it out of pocket (and should!).

C

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Old Fart

Garage
If you filed a police report, they would have handled it. The driver can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident, and you can get their insurance to fix your bike.

If you didn't file a police report, you are screwed......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

You all have very good advice. Especially Johnm, I appreciate your advice. What I meant by "make her pay" is exactly that. Make her pay pecuniarily for the damage she inflicted onto my property. I still don't know who this lady is. But I have enough description of her and of her vehicle that I will find her. I already took pictures of every silver sedan with a dent in the bumper. There were only two. And one had all kind of dirty decorations hanging from the rearview. So I would just need to find these owners and confirm that are asian and female.
KM, I did file a police report. So I should be covered from that side. The officer asked me to choose between criminal mischief and leaving the scene of an accident. He said she would be arrested when found were I to choose the latter option. So I chose the first option thinking she didn't know what she was doing. Maybe I was too nice.
But right now I'm just trying to get the bike back into running shape. I still don't know if it can start given that ignition switch is completely broken (pulled out of it's socket). Hopefully the damages amount to those I already listed.
Semper fi
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Crobin, appreciate the advice. Will PM for those two.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I guess you are nicer than me. I would have had her arrested. How can one knock over a 500 lb motorcycle and not know it?

She fled the scene and should learn the consiquences so she doesn't do it again.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
/\ x2 !!!

This ain't no damn bicycle !

~~C8>
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM

The police should be able to take care of the finding her, and insurance should take care of the making her pay (though don't settle for the first number they offer). You can probably get the parts/help from us for considerably less than it would typically cost to fix your scoot, but the insurance company has no way of knowing that. Besides, you deserve something for having your baby hurt...

As for the back fender, those things sometimes tear out some tin rather than breaking a bolt. I think there's only 4 bolts for the fender, so it should be pretty easy to check them.

Good luck,
Hippie

2005 VN750 upwards of 14K (haven't looked lately)

Mods:
AGM Battery
Degoated
Headers wrapped
Custom paint
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Given that your ignition switch isn't looking too good, either, you might want to take it to a shop and have someone go over it with a fine-tooth comb. I assumed with the damage you described that she bumped it more than ran over it; but it sounds more serious than that. Have you tried to start it to make sure she didn't also fubar your engine in some way?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement