AntiFreeze - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

AntiFreeze

Ive read about this topic in the verses and many other places but I just want to make sure I have one simple fact correct.

If I buy an antifreeze at say autozone that says 50/50 then do I or do I not still need to put distilled water in it.

I am pretty sure I dont. Thats the point of 50 50 correct?

Also.. I need to make sure its safe for aluminum and has no silicates.... correct?

Thanks

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Vulcan Drifter

If the jug states "50/50" then the mixture (in said jug) is 50% water and 50% antifreeze and will NOT need any further dillution.

You'll want to find a "Dex-Cool" (orange usually) or one that specifically states "safe for aluminum".

Edit: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095 - more info if you're interested.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

Yep, that's the point of 50/50.

It should be silicate free, but most are these days.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Keep in mind the 50/50 stuff costs about 80% of what pure antifreeze does. A gallon of distilled water costs less than a dollar locally. Much cheaper to make your own 50/50 mix, although not as convenient.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Keep in mind the 50/50 stuff costs about 80% of what pure antifreeze does. A gallon of distilled water costs less than a dollar locally. Much cheaper to make your own 50/50 mix, although not as convenient.
Exactly, and I always mix up to near 75%, remember it's also a coolant and that ups power a bit, then there is the fact if need be you can top off with a bit of water later if necessary, and still be 50/50 or above...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Exactly, and I always mix up to near 75%, remember it's also a coolant and that ups power a bit, then there is the fact if need be you can top off with a bit of water later if necessary, and still be 50/50 or above...
Actually, antifreeze is not a coolant. If fact antifreeze has less ability to transfer heat than water, making antifreeze a poor coolant. The purpose of antifreeze is to extend temperature range. The water is responsible for the bulk of the heat transfer. That is why a 50/50 mix is recognized as 'optimal' for both hot weather cooling (increased boiling point of approx. 230F) and freeze protection (down to approx. -30F). Also, a 70% antifreeze mix is the recognized as a maximum for most antifreeze manufacturers and (I'm quoting from the link below) "the beneficial effect of raising the boiling point ends with about 70-percent antifreeze. During the summer, engines will run warmer to hotter; therefore, as the percentage of antifreeze increases, heat transfer decreases because antifreeze has a lower specific heat than water". The maximum 70% mix may be good for someone living above the Arctic Circle, but overkill for the Lower 48 and probably a bad idea (based on the science) for those folks living in hot climates.

Here is a link to the scientific mumbo-jumbo from an engineer (see explanation of figure #3).

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 10-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The best "compromise" for a coolant is definitely a 50/50 of ethylene glycol and water. for a motorcycle it has to be silicate free, the silicates will destroy the water pump mechanical seal. You also need to use distilled water, which you can get at the local Walmart for $.66 a gallon. Water from a faucet contains minerals and acids which will corrode the engine and radiator, and plug everything up. It won't happen overnight, it takes a couple of years, but the results can be disasterous. I have worked on way to many "swamp coolers" that were completely eaten up by the alkali in the water. Corrosion is like cancer, once started, it can only be gotten rid of by removing ALL of it, difficult to do when you can't get to it.

One thing I have had very poor performance from is "engine ice" I tried it because I live in AZ, and it gets HOT here. But what I found was, it takes longer for the engine to warm up, causing unnecessary idling, it runs just as hot as with ethylene glycol once warmed up, but it cools off faster when the engine has been shut off for just a little while, often requiring it to be warmed up again after sitting for just a couple of hours. Never had those issues with ethlylene glycol.

BTW, ethylene glycol is most definitely a coolant. DO NOT run your bike with plain water unless it is an emergency. Water has a MUCH lower boiling point than a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol, and will boil under normal operating conditions. The temperature gauge, which was designed for coolant, will not show that it is overheating, because coolant would be fine at that temp. But plain water will boil, which results in uneven cooling, hot spots, and serious engine damage.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

/\ Darn, Prestone is still lying to me, in big letters on the front of the gallon jug it is written---ANTI FREEZE/COOLANT, and yes as you state 70% is the top of the litter and protects down to-84*F and increases the boil point to 276*F...
BTW-I have no link, I'm quoting streight off Prestone's Jug...
One thing is that I am old, and did run older cars that could leak anti-freeze, and even boil over every once and again, but if I had a good strong mix 50/60-70% I could just add some water and keep on keepin on... That's why I have always run rich, just sayin... I was just statein what I do, I didn't say do as I do...lol...
Oh, and when I get a new car or truck, when that 400 CCA OEM battery dies I replace it with the best 900+CCA I can get to fit, I still remember how those old cars sounded on a very cold morning, and the cold walk that usually followed, of course sometimes we out smarted it, and parked on the hill...lol.........

post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:08 PM
kay
carbon unit

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
BTW, ethylene glycol is most definitely a coolant. DO NOT run your bike with plain water unless it is an emergency. Water has a MUCH lower boiling point than a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol, and will boil under normal operating conditions. The temperature gauge, which was designed for coolant, will not show that it is overheating, because coolant would be fine at that temp. But plain water will boil, which results in uneven cooling, hot spots, and serious engine damage.
The temperature gauge, which was designed for coolant, will not show that it is overheating, because coolant would be fine at that temp??????

.....that statement is making my head hurt

Are you serious?

if the water is boiling in your motorcycle then the other parts of your cooling system are not functioning properly, you don't have enough water in the system or perhaps you just shut your motor off it's a hot day and the boiling is happening in the cylinder head for a few seconds.

R-12 DICHLORODIFLUOROMETHANE (CC12 F2 ) Dichlorodifluoromethane, commonly referred to as R-12 has a boiling point of -21.7F (-29C) at atmospheric pressure. ....and is a better coolant that water.....

the temperature at which water will boil is one of the reasons why it's such a good coolant.

when water boils...heat (thermal energy) is being removed.

it's a far better coolant than

ethylene glycol

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1

Last edited by kay; 10-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Having worked at construction in the field I have seen water boiled in paper cone drinking cups, and have done it myself... I have also seen guys pick up a pot of boiling coffee off the coals and set it in their hands (temporarely), I have not done that...lol...
PS-If someone will stop by my house I'll give them a quart of Kawasaki Anti-Freeze, I can't find my radiator fill cap...lol...
On second thought it may not be good, it could have frozen in the unheated metal shed...lol... I heard that, is it true...???
My point bein, I'm too dumb to be technical, so I don't argue over much anymore...lol...

Last edited by Old Dog; 10-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement