Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Another idle question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RobertGary1 
#1 ·
You guys are probably getting sick of my idle questions. When I bought my bike it had been sitting with California gas in it. I've since overhauled the carbs (sent to the guy in West Virgina) and overhauled the petcock. Both were caked full of pink gummy stuff. After solving an initial intake leak (idle would bounce around, RPMs would pause when declining ) the bike seemed fine. So...

Ride #1 after fixing intake leak. Set idle to 1100 RPM went for ride. Idle stayed dead on 1100 and went to it smartly after reving.
Ride #2 same.
Ride #3 Probably tried to ride bike too soon after starting. Then found idle at 800RPM. Just road with it until reaching full temp, still found idle at 800 RPM consistently at every stop. Readjusted idle to 1100. This was a short ride, just long enough to bring the temp gauge to about the middle.
Ride #4. Started with some back firing them time. Took off choke, started, idled around 2400. After fully warmed up still at 2400. Set idle back to 1100.

Each time the idle is dead on consistent during the ride. I'm just not sure why ride #3 had a low idle. I did try spraying brake cleaner around the boots again but no sign of intake leak.

Could the carbs have somehow been flooded or something on ride #3? Otherwise the bike seems to be running very well.

-Robert

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a big fan of upsizing the slow jet one size- the stock Ones are a bit small. When I went to #40s, I just need the choke for starting and the first 100 feet or so (at 60F). Also with mine, the idle speed is much more consistent with temperature changes. Don't really know what happened with yours, could have been something stuck in the float seat or a pilot jet for a time. It doesn't sound like you adjusted the idle on ride #2 incorrectly

#3 ·
I agree with upping the pilot jet a little. Sounds like maybe you had some crap get stuck in one if your pilots just enough to restrict fuel flow causing the idle to drop. Because it was running, what ever was partially blocking the jet stayed there because of the flow of fuel. When you shut the bike off fuel flow stopped, and the crap moved off of the feed hole. It may do it again, or never again. Might use some Seafoam for a couple of tanks and see how it goes.

#4 ·
Did you back out the air/fuel screws.? Are you running iridium plugs?

You said it had "California" gas in it.....is this a CA model? Are you sure all the vent hoses canisters, etc.. are clear and connected?

What fuel are you running now and have you been using the choke to start the bike....are you sure it's retracting properly?

I'd only change the pilot jets to a set of NEW stock units, you don't need to go up any if you just back out the air/fuel screws...... ( unless you have altered the air intake somehow)

#5 ·
Bike came from Mass (according to carfax.com) so it does not have California SMOG. I've not touched any adjustments other than idle. I had Steve Reed in West Virginia rebuild the carbs. He used factory spec jets. He sets them up pretty good so when they came back in the mail I didn't adjust anything. I'm pretty sure I rigged the choke cable correctly in that I get full motion. Again, its was only this one ride that was an issue. The only other thing different about this one ride was that I didn't give it as much time to warm up. Then, with 1/2 choke I took off. The bike stumbled a couple times.

Since then I've taken the bike out 2 more times. Its run perfectly and idled at 1100 the whole time. So something about that one ride caused it to idle different (either the bad starting or perhaps some crud, although it would be hard for crud to get in there since the carb just had a full overhaul and I also just fully overhauled and cleaned the pet cock).

-Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.