Can I do away with the xoxxo surge tank? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Can I do away with the xoxxo surge tank?

Hi Guys: I'm in the process of removing the engine in my 02 VN750 and was wondering if anyone out there has any options or can tell me what the consequences would be of doing away with the surge tank. WHAT A P.I.T.A.!!! I don't know what the engineering logic of this design was other than to force owners into the Dealers. Zero room, zero clearance. There's GOT to be a better option! Pros or cons would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Chucklehead

Search up "Ear shave" and while removing the motor is the best time to eliminate that pain in the goat belly. Otherwise it has to be cut out piece by piece. The whole process really isn't that difficult and makes carb removal and install a little easier. But just a little.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 AM

The earshave basically puts conical pod filters on the carbs and then you can take off the whole airbox and ears (the original filters and filter housings). You need to rejet the carbs when you do this though.

You do get more power when you do it, from what I've read. I just need filters to do my own ear shave, but still haven't been able to buy them.

For more detailed info, search for ear shave in this forum.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:04 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Yes you can ditch it. Whether it's a good idea or not is up for debate. There are good points on both sides. I did it to mine and will never put that pig back in there. You will have to increase your jet size on both main and pilots or it will run too lean, your gas mileage will drop just a little and you will hear the carbs sucking air. Some people don't like that. Mine growls when I get on it, maybe because I made an under tank filter for it but I love the sound.

I verified that I have better acceleration through the whole range by going against a friend's bike that before I did the mod, I could beat, not by leaps and bounds though, in a 1/4 mile at wide open
throttle and recently to see if there was a difference, we tried again and I passed more easily
without being at full throttle and when I gave it full, I ended up quite a distance ahead. We were both surprised.

Anyway, listen to other opinions before you do it so you won't have any regrets. Best of luck to you.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??

Last edited by DavesVulster; 10-19-2011 at 02:07 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Giggity!

Garage
I too did the under the tank filter as well as origionally the pod filters. If your nimble enough you can even change your jets with the carbs on the bike. Although it is a heck of a lot easier to do with them off. I love the shave & recomend it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My main issue with the earshave thing (other than I actually LIKE the ears) is the poor quality of the filters you have to use. None of the choices available seem to filter nearly as well as stock, and will let a lot more dirt in the engine, which will wear it out faster. Now, if you could get decent filters, I'd be all for it. I like things simple. But even if I got rid of the "surge tank" I would keep the ears, just for looks. But to me, engine reliability and longevity is paramount, and I would feel that way even if it made a serious power increase. I don't race the bike, I cruise and tour on it, and I want to squeeze every possible mile I can from that engine.

If you remove the complete air injection system, and the CA evap system if you have a CA model, and plug the holes in the surge tank where the hoses went, it makes it quite a bit simpler to deal with. Also, the surge tank can be tied to the frame, so it will not keep falling down while you are trying to work on something. I removed and replaced my carbs twice with it in place, and while it was time consuming, it was not especially difficult. Remove the ducts between the carbs and surge tank, and tie it up out of the way before doing anything else.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
And just so you know..."xoxo" means "hugs and kisses".... Likely the exact opposite of what you wished to say......LOL

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugs_and_kisses

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement