Need some educated advice on a VN750 Purchase - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Need some educated advice on a VN750 Purchase

Hopefully eveyrone can help me reach a decision.
So..Im in the process of buying a 2003 Vulcan 750 with approximately 24k miles on it. I want to get this bike primarily as a starter bike and trade it in towards a new bike in 6months to a year. The price seems right and the resale potential seems high. The dealer was asking 2475 for it which I found out is NADA books high retail value. Low retail is about 1850. We negotiated and came to 2300 out the door. I was hoping to pay 2000 but 2300 still seems very reasonable. My only concern is reselling it. I plan on using it as a daily driver and am expecting to keep it under 30k by trade in time. So the miles are concern and the only other visible problem is a crease/dent in the gas tank. Other thank that the bike looks good ..no rust..normal wear..tires look good ..runs great..Just wondering if this is a good deal and whether or not I could get 2000 out of it at resale/trade in time? If 2300 isnt a fair price what would be?
Thanks for your help!
Also I read something about some problem with the shaft drive on these vulcans and read to make sure the shaft is lubed or something. Dealer said this was done in servicing. Any light on what this problem is exactly and how to know if this bike has that problem?
Sorry about the lengthy first post. Im getting cold feet about this big purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 AM

Garage
This time of the year, you should be able to talk him down more than that. Look around some more, keep your eye on craiglist and cycletrader.com too. With the riding season coming near an end for most of us up North, I would think you should see more bikes for sale.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I never looked at bikes from a financial point of view, other than "can I afford it" I have always lost money when selling and trading bikes, and with the market the way it is here in Phoenix right now, with about 20% unemployment, and almost everyone else underemployed, you would have a hard time giving one away. I just sold a near perfect '09 Ninja 500 with low miles for $500 under NADA trade in value, and I was the original owner. And I just plain got lucky. The way I see it, motorcycles are a hobby, and an expensive one, and you are going to lose money, but if you are having fun thats what counts. Do not look at bikes as transportation like cars, they are two totally different things.

As for the spline lube, that is critical. Do not take the dealers word for it. Even if they did it, and that is highly unlikely, because it is a time consuming job, who knows what they did it with. Definitely do that right away, or you may wind up with a piece of scrap metal instead on a bike.

I have no idea what the bike market is like on the east coast, I'm 3,000 miles away. There are other things to consider besides the mileage, such as the general overall condition of the bike. And in addition to the spline lube, you will probably need to replace the automatic cam chain tensioners with manual cam chain tensioners. The splines and the cam chain tensioners are probably the Vulcan 750s 2 biggest weak points.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Weird. Pretty sure I posted in this thread. Duplicate maybe?

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 AM

I got an '03, bought it new and still have it and ride it. keeps up with any other bike. The only draw back is the smallish fuel tank (5 gal would have been just perfect). Do not expect to make any money selling any used bike. Will not be there. You will get even less if u trade that bike too. Other than that "don't worry, be happy

03 VN750
nautillus horn
crash bars
saddlemen saddlebags
luggage rack
plexifairing 3 windshield
extended backrest
heated grips
led tail light
electro pods
dash board
Givi E-21 saddle bags
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
Weird. Pretty sure I posted in this thread. Duplicate maybe?
More like triplicate!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM

If the bike is nice, looks great and runs great, I would not let $300 stand in the way. And I am the most anti dealer person here. If you buy from a dealer, you are going to get ripped off, plain and simple. But $2300 for a nice bike with 24,000 miles on it doesn't sound like too much of a rip off, especially if it is OTD. Dealers around here used to add on about $1000 to the price of new bikes with such things as doc fees, freight and setup, then try to coerce you into buying an extended warranty and a service contract. Most of them have stopped that since the recession hit, because people just wouldn't pay it, they had to get real on their prices, or go out of business.

24K is not high mileage on a VN750. I just passed 70,000 on my '02, and the only issues were the cam chain tensioners at about 15K, and a clutch just recently. I fully expect it to go well past 100,000. If you get it, you may very well change your mind about the new bike, unless there is a specific one you just have to have. The 750 is a great ride, and will keep up with many v-twins more than twice it's size. It also handles great. And for me it is comfortable. I have ridden mine all over the country, and 600 mile days are no problem comfort wise. Hands down it is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned, about equal with my '85 Goldwing. The Goldwing has a slightly better seat, but the Vulcan has a better footpeg position.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Good advice from all..but, if you haven't made a decision yet, may have an option for you..Private Messaged you today..

Vance & Hines Pipes
Mustang Seat
Kawasaki F&S Extended Backrest
Kawasaki F&S Luggage Rack
Saddlebags
Kawasaki F&S Tank Bib
Kuryakyn Flame Iso Grips
Aftermarket Mirrors
Kuryakyn Chrome Levers
Billet License Plate Bracket
Fork Mounted Tool Bag
AGM Battery & Tender Leads
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM

I bought my 750 as something I could use to get my road legs again.
It is a 2004 and had 3000 miles on it. I knew the owner. The bike looked like a new bike in every respect. I gave $3200 for it.

I have put around 4000 on it since May and I have loved it. I have since bought a Voyager and my touring ride. I still have the 750 and love to ride it.

I just bought a Plexi III windshield and hope to put it on tonight.
I have put a trunk on the bike which makes it easier on trips. I am in the process of working through some of the mods I read about on this forum. I have done the pickup coil mod and that seems to make a difference on starting when the bike is warm.

As for the tank size I get around 150 miles before I refill.

Someone gave me a complete set of body parts that are like new. I am thinking about getting a custom paint job done on them. I will keep the original parts if I ever want to change back. I kinda like that pretty wine color another person in this forum has on his bike. It looks so nice.

Growing old is mandatory.:
Growing up is optional.
Bring on the toys...

Plexis III; front tire size up; pickup mod; Motazu trunk;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement