Wife lays down law 750 has to go or me - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
GreatDays

Wife lays down law 750 has to go or me

I bought 4 turn signals on the card wife found out and laid down the law

Probably better off selling it anyway if it comes between the relationship.
Dagnabbit the compromises of marriage. What should I sell this one for, I have the new turn signals coming so with that cosmetically its in great shape

I was 'selling' it to my buddy but she nixed that immediately so I have to actually really sell it. Has 25k miles 1993 Vulcan 750 cosmetically its an 8 on a 1-10 scale.

I took the bike after doing a big sheetrock job from a guy so I have no idea what they're worth but my sheetrock job was 1 week long, hang tape and texture I did 2 sessions of mud then texture 40 hours I would like to think I can get $1250 from a sale as a rock bottom price but list it for $1500 let them talk me down

Is it reasonable?

Meanwhile I haint gave up yet am trying to get her on the passenger seat and maybe she'll take a likin to the bike! I doubt it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Chucklehead

Check with kelly blue book for your area. IMO the bike is well worth $1500 - $1800 if running smooth and cosmetically clean.

If I were closer I'd tell you I'll be right over and attempt to sway her opinion. Silly how they like to take our toys away and make us grow up? If you do get her on the back, take a nice easy ride somewhere and stop and offer her the keys for the way back, crazier things have worked.

Good luck!! Would be a shame to get rid of her after all the work (either one)

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
If you do get her on the back,
I thought you said get her on her back,and I thought "where is this going?"

A little advice to the OP, if she gets that bent out of shape over some signal lights and is that demanding,weigh your options carefully.I sold a bike once in the interest of marital bliss ,I loved them both and now they are both gone.But I have had several bikes since then,no more wives though.Just saying.
Well ,I have had other wives....... but I gave them back

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 10-14-2011 at 04:31 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:20 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

with my wife, she would keep the VN750 and tell me to get out! lol

as for the asking price on your bike? put it up for $2000, and let them talk you down. your bike is worth $1500-$1800 easy!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
my wife has a whole different outlook on the bike after taking her for a couple long country rides, last time she came home got on the net and started looking at riding gear! good luck!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM

If you are in serious financial difficulty, and you wife just plain doesn't like motorcycles, getting rid of it might be the right thing to do. But. If you are a long time "committed" rider, and owned a motorcycle when you got married, and are not losing the house, I would keep it. If riding is a serious part of your life, you simply just give it up. But OTOH, if so, did she know that? Things are not always as simple as they seem.

I got married 22 years ago, to someone who knew riding was an important part of my life, and knew that I would not be giving up my motorcycle. All seemed well, until a few months later, when she brought up getting rid of the motorcycle again. I refused to even discuss it. We had discussed it BEFORE getting married. She knew the deal. Then we had two daughters, and she started up on it again. Used every dirty trick in the book, even to the point of saying, "what happens if you get killed in a motorcycle accident and the kids have no father". I was even in the doghouse for 2 days for buying a motorcycle magazine Less than 2 years later we were divorced. Yes, there were other things involved other than a motorcycle, quite a few incompatibility issues.

Shortly after the divorce is when I bought my first Vulcan 750, a '93. I also bought a dirt bike. And as soon as the kids were old enough, I bought them dirt bikes too, and started teaching them to ride, and they loved it. Their mother didn't, and of course got very upset, but since they loved it so much, she didn't forbid it (she had custody, as is customary in my state) They both became accomplished dirt riders, and one got her endorsement at 18, after taking the MSF course. I got her a Rebel 250, in the hopes we would be able to ride together, but it didn't last very long, she wound up getting married, and the younger one so far hasn''t shown an interest in street riding, and I have not pushed her, because I know how dangerous it is if you don't take it VERY seriously. So I still have the Rebel, which sits around a lot, along with several other bikes. I just sold the Ninja 500 yesterday, because I could no longer ride it without severe pain, and knew it wasn't going to get any better.

This is just my opinion, having failed at marriage myself I am no expert, but I don't feel that anyone has a right to give their husband or wife an ultimatum about anything reasonable, and there is nothing unreasonable about owning a motorcycle. I fully understand the value of a "good" marriage, but any marriage is supposed to be a partnership, with compromises, and very few absolutes. You may already have problems that getting rid of a motorcycle won't solve, at least more than temporarily. I would be, and was, very resentful at her demands that I give up my motorcycle, and that resentment would have remained even if I had gotten rid of it.

I won't go any farther, it sounds like you have already decided to give it up, and that is your choice. I have no way of knowing what the situation is, but I do advise thinking about it and talking to her about it some more if you really want to keep it. If not, then list it on Craigslist at high bluebook value, so you have wiggle room, relist it every few days, and drop the price occasionally. The longer it takes to sell, the longer you have to ride it, unless she has forbidden that too, in which case I know what I would do.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Garage
You'll probably be able to sell it for more in the spring when everyone is having riding fever. Talk her into waiting till then and maybe she'll forgive and forget when the time comes.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Old Fart

Garage
A divorce will cost more than the turnsignals and bike, but might make you happier in the long run.

Many marriages end over arguments about money. I'd never marry a woman that had issues about me owning a bike or spending money for it, as long as that spending was reasonable with our income.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
A divorce will cost more than the turnsignals and bike, but might make you happier in the long run.
^Reminds me of the old joke,"Why does a divorce cost so much?..Because sometimes it's worth it"

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Makes it tough since you weren't a rider when you got married. I can understand her added concern over your new risky hobby as it pertains to the future of her children having a daddy in one piece. That's the mindset of non-riders, even though it seems nonsensical to me. Let's see ... I'll get rid of you now, so I don't have to do all that worrying. ok .. right.
Exposing yourself to street riding is serious business, and should be considered as such.
Some of us can not imagine not riding. I assume it is for the endorfin rush we are now hooked on. I was a rider before I was a husband, made it a little easier for me to assimilate her in to my world. I was lucky. If not for that, I would of course trade in the bike for a happy marriage with a great woman. There are other things in life to get your "hit", but very few great compatible life partners.

I agree that $2000 is a good starting price to work from. But I also think I would try to get her to go for a nice, safe ride. Do your maintenence, if you get stranded with her, that would likely be the clincher.

Have a good one.

~~C8>

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement