Making my frame a hard tail - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
Making my frame a hard tail

I have a stock '97 vn750 frame and I want to make it a hard tail. What do I need to do? Ill post some pictures tomorrow.

Here's a couple pictures:





Last edited by darienmd; 09-28-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: adding pictures
darienmd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
HAWK
 
Ccspinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago land
Posts: 2,576
iTrader: (9)
 
Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Ease way is to replace the shocks with solid strut bars.
The stock swing arm is not set up to work without something there.
You could bolt it on like a shock or weld it if you never want to go back.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Ccspinner is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
Ease way is to replace the shocks with solid strut bars.
The stock swing arm is not set up to work without something there.
You could bolt it on like a shock or weld it if you never want to go back.
first, thanks for the response! i'm gonna stop by my garage today after work to take some pictures. i bought this frame from a friend last week and the swingarm on it is kind of strange looking.

also, what would something like that cost to have welded? i don't have the welding tools/experience to do so myself.
darienmd is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Member
 
bamamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atmore, Al.
Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)
 
Not to question your motives but why? You want your ass to hurt on rides? I have a lot for friends with "cool looking bikes" all hard tail Harleys, but they stop so often to let the body recover from bumps, but yeh, you could replace the shocks with a solid bar.
bamamike is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamike View Post
Not to question your motives but why? You want your ass to hurt on rides? I have a lot for friends with "cool looking bikes" all hard tail Harleys, but they stop so often to let the body recover from bumps, but yeh, you could replace the shocks with a solid bar.
yeah, i just have a certain look in mind for my bike that im trying to achieve. i got some extra pounds of cushion anyways! haha
darienmd is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Sparky!!!
 
slimvulcanrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,695
iTrader: (3)
   
Garage
you say you have the frame, but what about engine and final drive.... and driveshaft... the driveshaft and final drive are spendy
slimvulcanrider is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
you say you have the frame, but what about engine and final drive.... and driveshaft... the driveshaft and final drive are spendy
Don't have an engine yet. I'm picking up the front end and wheels from the guy I got the frame from tomorrow, so I'm guessing he has the axle as well.

Here is my frame:




just to get an idea of what I'm working with. I've been e-mailing my uncle back and forth, he's Caleb of Cro Customs in California and he's been helping me out, but you guys are specific to the frame I've got. I've also found a website that fabricates weld-on hardtails for yamaha xs and other various bikes (no vulcans :/) so I'm thinking maybe that would be the better bet. Try and get some cash for this frame and find one of those frames on craigslist or something.
darienmd is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
just realized i posted the pictures twice

i've been on so many forums and in so many threads i'm starting to lose myself, sorry fellas!
darienmd is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
If only it had 6th gear..
 
DavesVulster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 1,100
iTrader: (1)
 
Let's say you went with a different swing arm. Something you could run a chain drive on. That would free you up if you don't want to be bound to the vulcan's v twin. If it were me, I think I'd look at swing arms of compatible width and if that turned out to be cost effective, I'd look at a parrallel twin... or even a four lunger if it fit profile wise (nighthawk 750 or something). Easier to go chain drive on any of those. Just my thoughts, since you already have the frame. I think it'd be easier to get some green for a rear wheel (splines anyone?) than a frame alone IMHO.

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
DavesVulster is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
Let's say you went with a different swing arm. Something you could run a chain drive on. That would free you up if you don't want to be bound to the vulcan's v twin. If it were me, I think I'd look at swing arms of compatible width and if that turned out to be cost effective, I'd look at a parrallel twin... or even a four lunger if it fit profile wise (nighthawk 750 or something). Easier to go chain drive on any of those. Just my thoughts, since you already have the frame. I think it'd be easier to get some green for a rear wheel (splines anyone?) than a frame alone IMHO.
awesome, thanks man! i'll look into these options and I'm sure i'll be back with more questions shortly! haha
darienmd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome