Thinking of getting a vn750. questions... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting a vn750. questions...

Hey guys,

Theres a Vulcan 750 for sale.
Its a 2001 model and at 3500 miles. The guy is selling it at a great price for $2000.

Question...

Ive heard about the rear shaft spline problem, where the splines were not greased properly from the factory. My question is, at 3500 miles, is this something i should worry about? Should I bother getting the splines checked before buying, even with such low mileage?

Are there any other considerations I should know about or anything else I should check before purchasing the bike?

Thanks!

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:48 PM

You should probably check the charging system. Take a voltmeter and check that the bike is charging right.

I would believe at 3500 miles the splines shouldn't be a problem but you should definitely lube them when you get it. If I'm wrong about this, someone chime in though.

Also, a 2001 with 3500 miles seems like it sat for a long time... ask if it's been sitting around lately or if it's been on the road. If it's been sitting around it probably needs some cleaning of the fuel system.

If it starts up and idles and runs fine, just some seafoam in the gas tank should clean up the system and keep it free of gunk... however, if it idles rough or doesn't run right, it might need to get the carbs pulled to clean them. It can all be done with the info on this site and everyone would be happy to lend some aid.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah, I'd be more concerned about fuel/carb issues than the splines ...(although I'd lube them up first thing if I bought the bike)

3500 miles in what ? Ten years? Seems pretty low... These bikes don't
Like to sit around.

+1 on checking the charging system.

If the bike don't run... , I would..

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM

Garage
Seems like that's a really good price for that year and milage.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetigerx2 View Post
Hey guys,

Theres a Vulcan 750 for sale.
Its a 2001 model and at 3500 miles. The guy is selling it at a great price for $2000.

Question...

Ive heard about the rear shaft spline problem, where the splines were not greased properly from the factory. My question is, at 3500 miles, is this something i should worry about? Should I bother getting the splines checked before buying, even with such low mileage?

Are there any other considerations I should know about or anything else I should check before purchasing the bike?

Thanks!

Anthony
Go for it man, they're GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!! You going to have some minor problems with any used bike. The bonus of this one, besides the fair price, good year, and low mileage; is this site. Any problem you have with the bike, we can and will help you fix. Go for it dude.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Git-R-Done!

Ummmm, I personally think that $2K is great price for that bike, esp if it's in good condition. I second what everyone else said about seeing how it runs first.

But if it runs well, I totally agree with LP up there : this site will give you the knowledge, wisdom, and support you need to take care of almost any issues you may come up with. Mine's a 1989, and it had only 7700 when I bought it. Thanks to the great guys (and ladies I think) on this site, I have been able to keep it running top notch.

I did end up replacing the carb assy, but more because the PO broke the entire piece that holds all the idle linkage clean off it - I can't even imagine how.

Personally, I love mine : easy to ride, quick, handles well both in town and on the freeway, looks good, comfortable to ride - need I go on? Lol

If you do get it, be sure to post pics and fill us in on all the details.

Oh, and ride safe

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM

If you're going to join this site, you may as well bite the bullet and get the bike.

Things to look for:
It runs
No major oil leaks (grit and grime all over the engine)
Doesn't blow white smoke (a possible sign of coolant leak)
Electrics work.

Cosmetically:
No major dents or flaws in the paint.
No tears/cracks in the seat.

Not that it has to be perfect, but for $2k, you should get a bike that is in reasonably good shape.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, ill let you know if the deal goes through!
Liberty, they do look like GREEAAATT bikes haha.

I have had a motorcyle in a number of years (switched to vintage scooters for the past three years). But lately ive been wanting to take longer road trips again.

The Vulcan look like a great do all bike with great features for the price!

Oh, and from the looks of it, the bike is in perfect condition. Im going to see it tomorrow.

Also regarding it being the end of season...I live in the bay area, so the season might last a bit longer here.

-Anthony
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
yeah, i'd be more concerned about fuel/carb issues than the splines ...(although i'd lube them up first thing if i bought the bike)

3500 miles in what ? Ten years? Seems pretty low... These bikes don't
like to sit around.

+1 on checking the charging system.

If the bike don't run... , i would..
^^^^ x2 ^^^^
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Welcome! There, with that out of the way, I'd offer a couple hundred atleast. People usually have wiggle room. So if it runs & is in good shape then even at $2000 I think it would be worth it. I paid $1800 for my '91 4 1/2 years ago & it had 8600 miles on it. I've got alot more than that on it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement