oil pressure switch - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

oil pressure switch

Haven't seen anything on this but, I am guessing there is power to the pressure switch anytime the ignition switch is on. When the engine is running the oil pressure breaks the circuit and the light goes off. I have oil pressure, before I change pressure switch, I changed oil about 150 mi ago used fram oil filter. I just read a post by Old Dog he mentioned Fram oil filters, but didn't elaborate, what can anybody tell me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Old Fart

Garage
From what I have read....Fram filters should be avoided. Not saying it won't work... But they got a bad rep.

Now.... Are you saying your oil light has not gone off? Not sure what you mean by "oil switch"

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Now.... Are you saying your oil light has not gone off? Not sure what you mean by "oil switch"
I'm assuming he means the sending unit that's hooked into the oil line. But if he changed the oil 150 miles ago, that light wouldn't still be on...or maybe it would, but the engine wouldn't be running! Solidsurface, did your light *just* come on?

C

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 PM

On my 750 the oil warning light is grounded through the oil sending unit. So on start up if there is oil pressure at the sending unit it will turn the switch off which breakes the ground and shuts the light off.

I had an issue after changing the oil once, the light didnt go out. It was fine before the oil change so I felt sure it was somethng simple but didnt run the moter. I called the local dealer and he told me to losten up the filter and let a little oil out then tighten it back up and try it again. I did exactelly as he said and to my amazement the light went out.

He said what happened was the filter had an air lock or as he called it a bubble in it. Just loosening up the filter broke the air lock and things were fine.

I used a Mobil oil filter for that change. He did say for some reason certain filters are more prone to the problem than others, he didnt mention any by name.

Since that happened I have been using OEM filters and never had a problem since.

RJ
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 AM

Great! Not sure which filters are more prone to doing that, but that would definitely be the advice we'd have offered here. Glad your baby is up and running without problems!

C
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Guess I did leave a few voids in the post! No the light just came on, and the reason I used pressure switch is because that is what Clymer's calls it. It was always sending unit in my book as I get older names and terminology change I just assumed this was one of those changes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
From what I have read....Fram filters should be avoided. Not saying it won't work... But they got a bad rep.

The oil light came on just the other day. I used oil pressure switch because that is the term Clymer's uses, I have always called it a sending unit .

I believe I have oil pressure because when I shut the engine down it took a few minutes for the oil to drain back down to the lower part of the engine case.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
I'm assuming he means the sending unit that's hooked into the oil line. But if he changed the oil 150 miles ago, that light wouldn't still be on...or maybe it would, but the engine wouldn't be running! Solidsurface, did your light *just* come on?
Yes the light just came on!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Schmidt View Post
On my 750 the oil warning light is grounded through the oil sending unit. So on start up if there is oil pressure at the sending unit it will turn the switch off which breakes the ground and shuts the light off.

I had an issue after changing the oil once, the light didnt go out. It was fine before the oil change so I felt sure it was somethng simple but didnt run the moter. I called the local dealer and he told me to losten up the filter and let a little oil out then tighten it back up and try it again. I did exactelly as he said and to my amazement the light went out.

He said what happened was the filter had an air lock or as he called it a bubble in it. Just loosening up the filter broke the air lock and things were fine.

I used a Mobil oil filter for that change. He did say for some reason certain filters are more prone to the problem than others, he didnt mention any by name.

Since that happened I have been using OEM filters and never had a problem since.

RJ
So is the wire between light and sending unit hot or ground?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Should be hot; the unit grounds itself to the engine block, I think.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement