oil pressure switch - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

oil pressure switch

Haven't seen anything on this but, I am guessing there is power to the oil pressure switch anytime the ignition switch is on. When the engine is running the oil pressure breaks the circuit and the light goes off. I have oil pressure, before I change pressure switch, I changed oil about 150 mi ago used fram oil filter. I just read a post by Old Dog he mentioned Fram oil filters, but didn't elaborate, what can anybody tell me. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsuface View Post
Haven't seen anything on this but, I am guessing there is power to the oil pressure switch anytime the ignition switch is on. When the engine is running the oil pressure breaks the circuit and the light goes off. I have oil pressure, before I change pressure switch, I changed oil about 150 mi ago used fram oil filter. I just read a post by Old Dog he mentioned Fram oil filters, but didn't elaborate, what can anybody tell me. Thanks
What went wrong on my 03 was I got lucky so to speak... I was going to an air show to take some pics. and stopped by the Kaw. shop for something, when I started the bike the oil pressure light stayed on so I gave it a bit of throttle and still the light stayed on, I shut it down and got the mechanic, he said it was more than likely the switch, he removed it and got another, put it on and still no pressure, he thought he may have picked the one up he took off, so he put the one left on, no pressure, he then removed the switch and started the engine, no oil came out, so I did not have any oil pressure...
He went in on the right side and moved the water pump/oil pump chain back and forth and the darn thing started working... We think that it could have been a small piece of card board from the Fram filter in the pressure relief valve (ball & spring)... Everything is just guesstimation...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Double post .....

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19794

You're fired....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-15-2011 at 07:33 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
What went wrong on my 03 was I got lucky so to speak... I was going to an air show to take some pics. and stopped by the Kaw. shop for something, when I started the bike the oil pressure light stayed on so I gave it a bit of throttle and still the light stayed on, I shut it down and got the mechanic, he said it was more than likely the switch, he removed it and got another, put it on and still no pressure, he thought he may have picked the one up he took off, so he put the one left on, no pressure, he then removed the switch and started the engine, no oil came out, so I did not have any oil pressure...
He went in on the right side and moved the water pump/oil pump chain back and forth and the darn thing started working... We think that it could have been a small piece of card board from the Fram filter in the pressure relief valve (ball & spring)... Everything is just guesstimation...
Don't care for the sound of that, but it is something to keep in mind, Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Double post .....

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19794

You're fired....

Kind of hard to fire someone that was never hired. Double post means more visitors, after all didn't you visit both post. Ha! Actually I tried to delete one but when I went to edit I couldn't find delete. Someday maybe I will become site literate !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

oil pressure switch

Quote:
Maybe I don't have oil pressure, I removed the sending unit today started the engine and no oil came out. I also checked the current with a test light at the sending unit and at the plastic connector in the head light using the same ground for both checks. The end that goes to the sending unit ( disconnected from sending unit to check) has less power !!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

I think you are right, I don't believe you have any oil pressure...
You might try what the Kaw. mechanic did...
"He went in on the right side and moved the water pump/oil pump chain back and forth and the darn thing started working... We think that it could have been a small piece of card board from the Fram filter in the pressure relief valve (ball & spring)... Everything is just guesstimation"...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you are right, I don't believe you have any oil pressure...
You might try what the Kaw. mechanic did...
"He went in on the right side and moved the water pump/oil pump chain back and forth and the darn thing started working... We think that it could have been a small piece of card board from the Fram filter in the pressure relief valve (ball & spring)... Everything is just guesstimation"...
I really was not looking forward to that. It seems like a lot of work for guess work but at this point I see no other options. Thanks!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsuface View Post
I really was not looking forward to that. It seems like a lot of work for guess work but at this point I see no other options. Thanks!
Oh, do you know what it takes to actually get to the pump, you are talkin nothin here, as compared... I think... I guess I would burp it, belch it, swap filters, turn it upside down and shake it, whatever before I tried to get to the oil pump... If I remember right...
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM

What about putting a vacuum on the hole? Whatever is stuck couldn't have gone far or you'd be seeing oil.

BTW, at least with the cartridge filters for my 77 Mercedes Diesel, the only good Fram filters are made in Turkey. The others are made with cotton gin waste... aka the crap from off the floor. People have found twigs, rocks, you name it inside those things. Bosch is only a few more dollars.

If it ain't broke... well I'm sure I can find something that is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement