Tach fixed - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Model A Guy

Tach fixed

My tach had the black cover that goes on the indicator needle sitting at the bottom of the dial obstructing the temperature indicator since I bought it, not to mention the clear part needed cleaning on the inside.
I finally decided to fix it or get another tach. It was not designed to come apart without messing up the little metal band the secures the front cover.
I didn't want the band to look any different afterwards so when I got to the point when taking the tach off that it could be turned upside down the trusty dremel with a cutoff disk came into play. The rear chrome cover was pulled back along with the rubber o ring. On the bottom of the dial I cut crosswise, only the lip that the metal band secures together and of course the metal band itself. It took a small flathead scewdriver to get it started coming off, starting from the cut then prying along the side all the way around. This was done slowly so as not to distort its shape. When the band came off I had to use the screwdriver between the cover and main body to get it started separating. It came apart! After using a small amount of plastic model glue to reattach the black cover to the needle and cleaning the inside of cover I put it back together. It took a little time to get the band started back on the lip around the body but I believe it would hold itself on by itself. I insured the cut in the band would be on the bottom when reinstalled. A small amount of plastic model glue under each end of cut metal band and when it was dry, after re-installation a dab of silver model paint. It looks good and you don't notice it at all. I am a happy camper!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Good job. This is helpful to anyone who needs to clean the inside of their gauges. Mine aren't bad but if you look from the right angle you can see streaks from condensation in the tack. If it gets more noticeable I'll use your method to get in there. Thanks!

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Pictures would have been real cool, but still good info. I know another member awhile back took apart his speedo, which sounded like a bit of work.

Thanks for the write up.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Model A Guy

Pictures

It was nighttime and I doubt pictures would have turned out very well...plus I don't have much luck in that catagory! Wish I had tried.
If anyone was to need clarification of what worked for me, I would be more than happy to assist by this thread or e-mail.
This site has given me the confidence to purchase my 92 and lube the splines, change all the fluids, fix the accts', stretch the upper ones 3/8 ths
of an inch, replace cut off mufflers...
Thanks to all. I will work on picture posting, I'd like to show her off!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
This site has given me the confidence to purchase my 92 and lube the splines, change all the fluids, fix the accts', stretch the upper ones 3/8 ths
of an inch,
replace cut off mufflers...
What did you stretch 3/8ths of an inch??

Good job on the tach BTW.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-05-2011 at 04:51 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 PM

Exclamation Stretched 3/8ths inch

OHC I believe it's something on his bike. Get your mind out of the gutter, this is a family show! (couldn't resist)

To Do List:

-T7 stator mod
-R/R relo
-MF Battery
-voltmeter
-ignition switch
-ACCT's to MCCT's
-LED brake & turns
-spline lube

Did I miss anything?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Model A Guy

The upper cam chain tensioner springs. One above each acct. Worked wonders for making them quiter. Read on forum to try it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 AM

Sounds like that may have been easier than the way I took mine apart. I pried the metal band up from the back of the lip all the way around with a small screwdriver then wedged the screwdriver between the b aand and the lip and worked it off all the way around. Getting it started back on was a b_ _ _h as i recall i got the band started then used the screwdriver to work it back on all the way around then i wrapped the jaw of a pair of linesman pliers with duct tape, so i wouldn't scratch the band or the freshly painted gauge bezel, and smashed the band back around the lip. It looks good now but it was a very tedious job.

Last edited by ddgray; 09-06-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: mispelled sounds
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Model A Guy

more than one way for most things, eh?

That was my first thought on doing it. I figured prying it off all the way around also. My luck, the places where I did this, the metal would stretch and wouldn't return anywhere near to normal when done. Knowing, if it can it will when I am involved in something is why I did it the way I did! Did yours' need cleaning on the inside or did you have a problem like mine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement