Wheelies!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Wheelies!!

So I ride with a large group of guys, mainly Harleys. First I have to say the vn750 has gotten me more complements from Harley guys than you can imagine. There are very few of them that can pull on me. So we like to play parking lot games. Slow speed, full lock turns and such. So last night I was trying to do a burnout, and the front brake just wouldn't hold it. So i lined up at a dead stop, revved it up to between 3-4000 rpm and let the clutch go. Holy Crap! the front wheel came right off the ground. And I am not talking a few inches I am talking 2 feet! I did it 4 or 5 times! I had everyone there in amazement. I am talkin wheelies on demand. I have had my VN for about a year and a half and put 15000 miles on it and never even tried to drop the clutch, now i know why. I will do it on a sport bike or dirt bike, but a cruiser? Now i have no intentions of running around doing wheelies, I guess this is more of a warning. Be Carefull! I love my VN! Guys talk crap until they ride with me. Then they shut up. I just figured this was the only place that I could tell my story and people could truly appreciate it. 20 YEARS OF FIRE AND STEEL, LONG LIVE YOUR VN750'S!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 03:42 AM

Let me know when u are parting our your bike I need a tool box

Memphis Shade Malibu Windshield
Highway Bars
Saddle Bags
Chrome cup holder
Cell Phone Holder
Jarden Pipes
Mustang Seat

First bike ever
2001 Vulcan 750 purchased 2011

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Start looking for a new shaft and final drive box, our splines aren't meant for that kind of abuse. I agree on the performance of our little bikes until we come up against a Magna.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:34 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
I'm dyin' over here, ha ha!

It does sound like FL is pretty hard on his V. They're not wimpy bikes at all but man, I don't know about some of those parking lot games, lol. Seems like inviting a scene of a large oil puddle and metal parts on the ground ;-) . Cool story tho. Yeah, our bikes are too light to pull off brake stands successfully but after my ear shave and re-jet, if I open it up from dead stop or a crawl just the right way, I can feel that front wheel lift just enough to give that hydroplaning feeling and it keeps it up for a good run. A damn fun bike. Keep on keepin on.

Dave
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Yeah, I really liked the way the VN would come off the line, seems the low 1st gear and traction are just right... What I don't understand as some have said, "he beat me off the line but I took him later", I didn't feel like no one with the same size rear tire and about the same weight could take me off the line... My Sporty is geared higher and has to be played just right to come off the line strong...
It can wheelie, it can burn out, but it has to be just right to launch off the line right...
The VN750 is sweet off the line...IMHO......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
haha
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Yeah, I really liked the way the VN would come off the line, seems the low 1st gear and traction are just right... What I don't understand as some have said, "he beat me off the line but I took him later", I didn't feel like no one with the same size rear tire and about the same weight could take me off the line... .
And they likely couldn't. Launching a bike from a standing start is not as easy as it looks, especially if you are going head to head with someone else. A fraction of a second can meam alot. Ask any professional drag racer...

I have had lesser bikes beat me off the line....this due to my bad launch and their really good one. Most stories I have seen on VN impromptu races like this has the Vulcan getting the lead first...any many times keeping it the rest of the way.

There are many faster motorcycles out there ...but in the cruiser world the VN 750 still remains one of the top performers...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

You're right man, good launching is key. I'm not all that great at it I must say, then again it's not common that I'm doing quarter mile time or head to head, lol. I was much better at it on my suz 1100 beast. Just seemed the clutch was more....I don't know, direct I guess. I mean my clutch is fine (when warm, like many others). Just my perception more than likely, as well as lack of practice. I beat the hell out of the 1100 cause it was a war pig from beginning to end and I didn't care as much. Wheelies, hole shots etc, loads of fun. I think I'm nicer to this one because its a smaller eng, and that is also perception, or I'm just getting older, but when I'm in the mood and missing the white knuckle pull of that 4cyl monstrosity, I'm not dissapointed with the Vulcan. Sorry

Last edited by DavesVulster; 09-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

No parting out here. I am actually in Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. Ive been going since january and will be till April. I have learned a bunch. As for racing it is almost all rider. I go to school with most of the guys I ride with. One of my friends rides a 883 Low. It's an 2008, hes put 48000 miles on it. He scrapes pegs and mufflers, shooting sparks around turns all thee time. I have another buddy with a Night Train, he scrapes his primary arounud turns. I will not race the guy on the 883 cause I dont wanna say ive been beat by an 883.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vn750FL View Post
One of my friends rides a 883 Low. It's an 2008, hes put 48000 miles on it. He scrapes pegs and mufflers, shooting sparks around turns all thee time. I have another buddy with a Night Train, he scrapes his primary arounud turns. I will not race the guy on the 883 cause I dont wanna say ive been beat by an 883.
It's a Low, peg scraping is fine (they ride up) but when you start scrapin the solid stuff you might just be ready to take a ride sometime...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement