New & Diff. Brand Tires & Odometer Readings--- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

New & Diff. Brand Tires & Odometer Readings---

First, I have always filled up with gas at my sons Gen. store for a couple of reasons, he is my son & I give him my business when feasable, also his gas is non ethanol...
Well, when my bike was new and with the Vulcan I would get something around 8.2 - 8.3 mi. to home... BTW-the Sportster reads via a pickup off the rear wheel...
Well I had got the 8.2 on my Sportster when near new, but it went to 8.3 as the rear tire wore (as memory goes), so I installed (@ 8.9k mi.) a new Metz. ME-880 150/80/16 and the milage went back to 8.2, then later to 8.3, then when the tire had to be replaced with a small patch or two of cord showing (less than 6k) I was gettin a whoppin 8.4 mi., replaced the ME-880 Metzler tire with a new Dunlop D401, same size 150/80/16, now the odometer will only get 8.1 mi. ...
Point is I didn't know that an old tire vs a new one or brands would make that much difference...
Just wonderin how much difference y'all have experienced...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 08-27-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Old Fart

Garage
To be honest I never paid any attention to it, but it does sound logical that different tires, worn verses new,and even same "size" tires from different makers could have different circumferences. (as this would the cause of your different readings)

I know many bikes have less than accurate gauges, and the fact that I still have to go to the same places and buy gas to do so just makes it this kinda useless, but very interesting......especially given the yo yo pricing on fuel now

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
To be honest I never paid any attention to it, but it does sound logical that different tires, worn verses new,and even same "size" tires from different makers could have different circumferences. (as this would the cause of your different readings)

I know many bikes have less than accurate gauges, and the fact that I still have to go to the same places and buy gas to do so just makes it this kinda useless, but very interesting......especially given the yo yo pricing on fuel now
Yeah, I just remember us talkin about how much the Speedos are off, and realy hadn't thought much about the tire difference & the odometer, so to speak... Just a variance I happen to notice, due to parkin after the same short trip so many times...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
First, I have always filled up with gas at my sons Gen. store for a couple of reasons, he is my son & I give him my business when feasable, also his gas is non ethanol...
Well, when my bike was new and with the Vulcan I would get something around 8.2 - 8.3 mi. to home... BTW-the Sportster reads via a pickup off the rear wheel...
Well I had got the 8.2 on my Sportster when near new, but it went to 8.3 as the rear tire wore (as memory goes), so I installed (@ 8.9k mi.) a new Metz. ME-880 150/80/16 and the milage went back to 8.2, then later to 8.3, then when the tire had to be replaced with a small patch or two of cord showing (less than 6k) I was gettin a whoppin 8.4 mi., replaced the ME-880 Metzler tire with a new Dunlop D401, same size 150/80/16, now the odometer will only get 8.1 mi. ...
Point is I didn't know that an old tire vs a new one or brands would make that much difference...
Just wonderin how much difference y'all have experienced...
Interesting observation. While I do believe that different brands of tires or an Old vs. New tire can make a difference it is really hard to pin down accurately. 0.1 mi out of 8.2 mi is only 1.2% - not very much. I assume that you reset your odometer when you fill up you tank. Consider that your reading in tenths of a mile may be as little as the difference from 8.29 to 8.30 mi = .01 mi or about 52 feet. (Probably somewhere between 50 and 500 feet over 8 mi) Other factors that can affect this measurement are tire pressure (& temperature); your consistency in taking turns and curves (inside vs outside path and speed - when leaning the tires have a smaller circumference); even which side of the gas pump you park on and exit the station.

Other than the tire the rest of the odometer measuring compontents should be very consistent (if not completely accurate). So I believe that unless you precisely control other variables it is difficult to conclude anything about your measurements. (Probably with "lots" of data and using statistical methods it can be done.)

It makes common sense though that a new tire (more tread depth) at a higher pressure has a larger circumference and will result in a lower odometer reading over the same distance than a worn tire at lower pressure.

- Safety First

Paul

'04 VN750
'75 CB360T
'08 Concours 14
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Oh, I understand this was not a scientific test, just an observation that I was gettin 8.4 mi. on a worn & different brand tire, and 8.1 mi. on the new tire...
No biggie, just a Redneck observation...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:44 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Pretty interesting Old never thought about tread wear changing your odometer. What do you get for mileage on your sporty? I know the ethanol screws up everything, some enhancement huh, but I don't know of any place up my way that I can get pure juice.

On another note, I'd love to take a Harley out for a blast. Can't test drive a bike in mass (unless the dealer lied to me before) which is rediculous imo. Anyway, take care.

Dave.

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-28-2011 at 06:51 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
Pretty interesting Old never thought about tread wear changing your odometer. What do you get for mileage on your sporty? I know the ethanol screws up everything, some enhancement huh, but I don't know of any place up my way that I can get pure juice.

On another note, I'd love to take a Harley out for a blast. Can't test drive a bike in mass (unless the dealer lied to me before) which is rediculous imo. Anyway, take care.
Dave.
Dave on most of my ridin I get around 48 mpg, but it will do better on better roads, I don't do much city street ridin... I have the 4.5 Gal. tank and usually fill up at +/-150 mi. and usually +/-3 gal. my low fuel light usually comes on at about 140... I'm thinkin I could do 200 mi. but with the EFI I see no need to try...lol... It probably wouldn't hurt anything, but...lol...
I first got the bike I didn't know if I was goin to be a happy camper or not, but with 15k on the clock, I am as of now very happy... I actually like ridin the twisties on it better than I did the VN750, but I did do a bit of mods., changed the 21" spoked front for 19" cast, different bars, added a fork brace, installed RK air shocks, it handles great in the twisties for a cruiser...
It will top out a tad better than the VN750s I had, but only by a pinch...
You would think if you were cycle licensed and had insurance that you could take one for a try out...??? The Sporty is a bit different than the VN750 but not much, just takes a bit of gettin used to...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Thanks man. ya know I think I'm gonna go down to the local dealer here and see if they'll let me. When I bought my V, I asked about test riding and that's when I was told that I could not. Just makes sense if you're gonna plunk down a few grand, you'd get to see if it's a good fit. So I took a chance and have no regrets but i'd still like to play the field a little bit for future reference. I really need two bikes lol. I like the size of this one and the balls but sometimes I miss the bigger bikes too. Oh well, I'll have to talk with my boss about this dilema. I'm sure he'll figure it into my next pay review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement