Loading and Unloading Passengers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Loading and Unloading Passengers

My cousin came to visit me this past weekend and while I love her to no end, she ain't the tiniest of ladies. I can barely feel Carrie at a buck 5 getting on and off the bike so I never had to worry about mounting or dismounting procedures. Any advice on the best ways to load and unload passengers if they're not a measily hundred and 5?

What I did was stand up and hold the handle bars tight. I put my feet a little further apart and held super tight. She'd grab my shoulder, step on the passenger peg, throw her leg over, and have a seat. Not gonna lie, doing that all day got old fast. Should I have stayed seated to add my weight to the overall weight of the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Jack of all trades

I like to stay seated and lean the bike. You can even leave the kick stand down as a just in case. Just try not to put all the weight on the stand to avoid undue stress. I have no problem with this and really think it might be the easiest way. Or you could put it on the center stand and have her scoot back then you get on.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM

This is something I've always wondered about... especially with the VN750 and that backrest thing it has for the rear passenger... how do you get someone on there??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I am at a buck 5 myself or close to it, I always have them load off the ground. While standing on the ground to throw a leg over and slide onto the seat. I don't let them use the foot peg for loading or unloading. Using the foot peg would throw us both and the bike to the ground.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The way I always do it , even with heavier passengers is to sit on the bike, hold it straight up with both my feet on the ground, knees locked....and then have the passenger climb on.... By putting their left foot on the left peg, stand up leaning slight over the bike.. Their left hand on my left shoulder, pivot on the rest as they step over the seat with their right leg, and sit down as soon as their right foot touches the right peg.

If you can't hold up the bike while they do this you shouldn't have them as a passenger.

It's important the passenger learns to do this quickly, if it's someone that never got on this way, I put th bike on the centerstand and let them practice a few times.

Getting off the bike is just the same thing in reverse... Never let the passenger get on first or off last.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I have never had any problem carring anyone once they are loaded.
When one is my size one finds other ways of skinning the cat.
The idea is don't let the cat skin you.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

My bike doesn't have a center stand, I should have clarified that, sorry fellas. Good idea though. And although it weighs more than the 750, I can handle it and her just fine. Just curious about an easier way.

I like the idea of sitting down and having her swing a leg over without touching the pegs, then her scooting back. That seems easier than what I was doing. My bikes kinda low too so that should work well.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 08-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
My bike doesn't have a center stand, I should have clarified that, sorry fellas. Good idea though. And although it weighs more than the 750, I can handle it and her just fine. Just curious about an easier way.

I like the idea of sitting down and having her swing a leg over without touching the pegs, then her scooting back. That seems easier than what I was doing. My bikes kinda low too so that should work well.
Well, if your bike is low and you have no sissybar or passenger backrest.. Just have them vault on from the rear like trick horse riders do....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 08-23-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The way I always do it , even with heavier passengers is to sit on the bike, hold it straight up with both my feet on the ground, knees locked....and then have the passenger climb on.... By putting their left foot on the left peg, stand up leaning slight over the bike.. Their left hand on my left shoulder, pivot on the rest as they step over the seat with their right leg, and sit down as soon as their right foot touches the right peg.

If you can't hold up the bike while they do this you shouldn't have them as a passenger.

It's important the passenger learns to do this quickly, if it's someone that never got on this way, I put th bike on the centerstand and let them practice a few times.

Getting off the bike is just the same thing in reverse... Never let the passenger get on first or off last.
X2 I also have the kickstand down as a safety precaution because when the passenger starts to get on the bike it wants to lean to the left.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Well, if your bike is low and you have no sissybar or passenger backrest.. Just have them vault on from the rear like trick horse riders do....
LOL!!! Too bad I put a sissy bar on it for Blondie. Maybe I'll make her hurtle it next time anyway, she's pretty spry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
X2 I also have the kickstand down as a safety precaution because when the passenger starts to get on the bike it wants to lean to the left.
Good idea, load the passenger from the left and put the stand down. Noted, thanks buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement