decisions - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

decisions

long story short, i traded an xr650 for my 92 vn750. 4 miles into my first ride on my first ever street bike, the shift fork in the bottom of my motor gave way. luckily the church i got it from covered the repair. in the mean time, i did the r/r and learned very quickly about my bike. then i found your website, started gettin the bug to make it a custom, and more importantly, a harley killer. but i gotta tell ya, this stator thing has me bugged. and that stupid goats belly has to go. anyway, the mods will cost money and i have nice long winters here so i have the time, but is ist really woth it? what kind of performance increase are we talkin' here. if i do all the popular mods, will i be able to catch that damn 883 that just spanked me. or should i just sell it and get a bigger vulcan with no electrical issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Old Truck Junkie

How long have you been riding?? I,m just getting at weather you got spanked cause your lack of ridding experience. The vn should more than hold it's own against an 883 HD.

BTW welcome.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM

I see this is your first post, welcome to the site. So you have nice long Winters where? I assume North somewhere. You should be able to smoke 883's now, bro. Customize your bike whatever way you want. Make it yours and you'll love it that much more. If you're like most here, you'll buy a bike to save money then blow all your money on aftermarket parts for your bike.

Oh yeah, and what kind of church sells motorcycles? I'm joining...

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Bottom line is no matter what you do you're still gonna have a little bike with all kinds of issues. I think people here spend as much time wrenching on these bikes as riding them. When I bought mine a freind who has had 4 of these said "Don't buy it. These bikes are turds". I didn't listen cause the price was so low and he was right. Nothing but issues. But if you put a few bucks into it it's a fun little turd. Keep in mind you likely won't get what you have into it when you sell it. And unless you're a small guy and think this bike has tons of power you will.

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Welcome from South Cent. Tenn. ...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The only real problem in about 30K miles I had was the acct's and the replacement of the r/r. Early on I did have to replace the J-box.
But I am a rather good wrench, so I stayed on top of things. I kept fuel treatment in the fuel during winter and a bat tender on the bat. And also changes oil at 4k miles or so.
The wrenching I did was to add on stuff or make mods to it.
This bike has been good to me.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Turd bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Hwy View Post
Bottom line is no matter what you do you're still gonna have a little bike with all kinds of issues. I think people here spend as much time wrenching on these bikes as riding them. When I bought mine a freind who has had 4 of these said "Don't buy it. These bikes are turds". I didn't listen cause the price was so low and he was right. Nothing but issues. But if you put a few bucks into it it's a fun little turd. Keep in mind you likely won't get what you have into it when you sell it. And unless you're a small guy and think this bike has tons of power you will.

Yup, Devil is 100% correct. This is a fix and ride, fix and ride motorcycle. It will always have one problem or another. I've seen two posts of people who have been brave enough to take a long trip on the 750. I'll keep trying to sell mine until I find a sucker, er buyer, and then get a 1600 or 1700. I've never owned a bike with so many inherent issues that constantly require repairs. And I have owned many bikes since 1962, many that never had even a small % of the problems my 750 seems to have.

Many might hate this response but down deep they know I'm right.

Last edited by keltec; 08-08-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: word missing
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltec View Post
Yup, Devil is 100% correct. This is a fix and ride, fix and ride motorcycle. It will always have one problem or another. I've seen two posts of people who have been brave enough to take a long trip on the 750. I'll keep trying to sell mine until I find a sucker, er buyer, and then get a 1600 or 1700. I've never owned a bike with so many inherent issues that constantly require repairs. And I have owned many bikes since 1962, many that never had even a small % of the problems my 750 seems to have.

Many might hate this response but down deep they know I'm right.
What year is your bike and how much you pay for it?

I think it has just gotten to the point where the crappy older bikes are being sold and the ones that run well aren't on the market.

You pick up a 20+ year old bike for little cash , you really have no good grounds to bitch about it...especially if you are like the 4th or 5th owner.

I bought my Vulcan new and it ran like a top. It's not the bike itself, it's just old and outdated now, and each year it will only get worse. I got a freind with a 22 year old Honda that has issues too.......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

I agree with KM, I've had 2 new, and one used one, about all I did was mods., the used one I didn't keep too long, as it for some reason didn't have the gitty up the others did...
I'm sure if they had still been in productions I probably would traded for a new one rather than the Sportster, which cost me more...
Don't get me wrong, I do like the girls bike, but there didn't seem to me at least, to be anything wrong with the VN750s...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I bought my Vulcan new and it ran like a top. It's not the bike itself, it's just old and outdated now, and each year it will only get worse. I got a freind with a 22 year old Honda that has issues too.......
You must have gotten an exceptional one. My buddy bought 4 of these right off the showroom floor. I don't remember what order he had these problems in but they included bad head gaskets, bad lower cylinder gaskets broken ACCT springs bad stators and as we all know faulty carbs. Just because it's normal for a VN750 to constantly backfire doesn't mean it's ok. We also know the electrical system was lousy, stator, RR, etc. The very last one he bought only had a couple thousand miles on it and the lower cylinder gasket blew out and sprayed hot coolant on his leg. That was the last one he had. He said they were such fun little bikes he just kept thinking he got a bad one cause he liked them.
Now, you can get these bike very cheap. They are easy to work on and IMO very good experience if you plan on owning motorcycles your whole life. They are small, light and a blast to beat the hell out of. I'm putting money into this bike knowing full well everything I said above and I have no problem with it. However, the guy asked for an honest opinion about wether it's "worth it". I don't hear anyone bitching as much as I see some opinions I wish I had before I bought this bike. If I had known what I know now I would have saved a bit longer and bought something else. You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement