decisions - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
Hey TuxedoSeven, that's just too much for you to handle alone. I wouldn't feel right , I'll help and take some up here in Mass.
Hey!!! Y'all leave some fer me, willya?

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Banned

Yeah... Money pits.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

I dumped a load of cash into mine, mostly 'cause I wanted the bike a certain way, not because it needed it. Now I can't find a buyer 'cause nobody who's called cares what mods you've done, they wont pay more than stock value for it. So now I'm gonna take a sweat bike apart and sell the accessories, and return the bike to bone stock so I can get it sold.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I totally DISAGREE with most of this thread. My 2001 starts everytime,all the time, doesn't burn oil, doesn't backfire, runs cool, handles well, gets 52-60 mpg, runs with any cruising bike out there, very easy to work on, low maintenance, lightweight, and a fraction of the cost of a comparable new bike. Is it possible that most of the bike problems are owner related?

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
I totally DISAGREE with most of this thread. My 2001 starts everytime,all the time, doesn't burn oil, doesn't backfire, runs cool, handles well, gets 52-60 mpg, runs with any cruising bike out there, very easy to work on, low maintenance, lightweight, and a fraction of the cost of a comparable new bike. Is it possible that most of the bike problems are owner related?
So you actually COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the popping backfire on decel that these bikes are known for? Mine doesn't burn oil and runs cool too but I have some head and lower cylinder gaskets that are less than ideal. Sound familiar?

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually it was my son who got whipped, i just wanted to know if there was really anyone out there (new kid)!! I have a 92' bone stock, and i want to make my little bike a regular on kingsbury grade. I plan to do as many mods as money allows this winter, but i really would like ten more ponies or so. First to go are the ears and the goats belly! Can i just pitch the gb and run a straight pipe into my own muffler as long as i add the kn filters and re-jet?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Hwy View Post
So you actually COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the popping backfire on decel that these bikes are known for? Mine doesn't burn oil and runs cool too but I have some head and lower cylinder gaskets that are less than ideal. Sound familiar?
Backfiring completely gone. Cost less than a $1.00 to remedy that. My headgasket is fine. No leaks. No compression loss.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbside1 View Post
Actually it was my son who got whipped, i just wanted to know if there was really anyone out there (new kid)!! I have a 92' bone stock, and i want to make my little bike a regular on kingsbury grade. I plan to do as many mods as money allows this winter, but i really would like ten more ponies or so. First to go are the ears and the goats belly! Can i just pitch the gb and run a straight pipe into my own muffler as long as i add the kn filters and re-jet?
You can do what ever you want to it. Your own muffs or straight pipe. You're gonna rejet your carbs when you shave it anyway so just do a little research and you'll be fine.

It's been said that takin out the belly can cause a loss of torque in the low end so check into that. Personally it doesn't bother me and I think it mellows the soubd some but if you're lookin to get more at the top end it might be the thing to do. If only these lil' bastards had a 6th gear. I hit 105 and it had more left in it but was definitely screamin in the rpm's.

Incidentally, I haven't found this bike to be hard to work on... but then again, I haven't visited Statorville either ;-)

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-09-2011 at 07:06 PM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoSeven View Post
A guy walks into a cancer clinic and sees a lot of cancer patients. The next morning he watches The Doctors and Dr Oz and the stories are cancer related. Then a friend gets cancer.
That guy is now convinced that everybody has cancer and we should all move to communes and feed on lettuce.
This is a great bike. 100's of thousands sold worldwide and many still on the road. The only design flaw can be removed with a 2 hour arts-and-crafts project.
Read the sites for the other 25 year old bikes and you'll see the same stories. Heck, read the sites for new bikes and you see issues, but you can't get those parts for 25 bucks on ebay.

Just got a driver's backrest for mine (at a great price). If you really don't want yours anymore, I'll give it a good home.
LOL!! That was funny. I don't know why some of you guys get so defensive about these bikes. You'd think you were on the R&D team or the assembly line or something. It really would be interesting to see how many of them are still on the road and how much money has been sunk into them to make them decent. I'm not saying they are junk and no one should buy them. All I'm saying is that it's not the greatest cash and carry daily rider out there. Keep in mind I have almost a thousand dollars in planned upgrades including a teardown and re-build on the engine planned. I know full well it's a total loss when I'm done with it too. This is a fun little bike. What did someone call it? Snotty? It sits pretty high off the ground so it leans way over on the curves, when you peg the throttle it answers happily. It's pretty light and you can get 'em cheap and customize it without spending a fortune. So it has it's pro's and con's. I think it looks retarded stock so I'm making some cosmetic changes too. If I can get $2000 or so out of it when I'm done with it thats fine with me. I promise I'll give all you big time vn750 fans first crack at it too. All I'm saying is for a guy who just wants to buy a bike and ride it without constantly f'ing with it, this is not a good bike.

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoSeven View Post
That would be true for any old bike. The guy you're talking about should buy something with a good warranty, new or old.

As for the vn750, this is a sample of where my YouTube video for the stator mod is being viewed. I'd say that there are still a few people interested in them.

Your channel is most popular in these countries/states.

United States

Poland

Canada

Netherlands

Serbia

Finland

Norway

Guyana

South Africa

United Kingdom
Wow thats allot of bad stators!!

No more Vulcan