tank painting?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
knees in the breeze!!!

tank painting??

well im getting ideas for my tins for the winter tear down and i think i want a 50s style pin up down both sides with some tribal flames in the background. a mix of old school and new but i cant find any that fit down the sides right and im sure having it painted will cost me more than my bikes worth or at least im sure it will blow an engine or something right after cuz thats my luck.
anyone got any better ideas??

http://map.vulcan750.net/

VROC# 33976
1994 VN750

MODS SO FAR:
honda shadow 750 sissybar
ear shaved, K&N pods
142/42 jets, Cobra pipes
oversized tires, vn800 seat
vn750 rad cover, Tank bib
custom mirrors, gel battery
led dash lights, led tail light
led plate light, chrome levers
horn relocation, custom voltmeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Jack of all trades

Try going to a place that does vinyl graphics and get some decals done. Most places around here are pretty reasonable. Then just apply them before the clear coat and go over them. Other than that, painting them on is the way to go. I know I am going to hear from more experienced paint guys about this too, but hey really it boils down to what you want done not anyone else.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:08 AM

I'm in the middle of painting an '86 VN750 for a friend of mine. I just got it into primer last night. I'm going to give it muscle car stripes similar to Eleanor from "Gone in 60 Seconds". I did this on a Warrior I used to own and it looked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	3950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	3951  

2003 Ducati ST4s
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Although an added expense , you could pick up another tank to paint. So if you end up selling the bike, you can keep the artwork as a souvenir.

I had a friend that did this, he had a local artist paint a reproduction of Boschs "Garden of Earthly Delights" on an extra tank.(freaking awesome) He sold the bike later with the unpainted stock tank, and kept the other one, which hangs on the wall in his home.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
knees in the breeze!!!

I plan on picking up a second tank as mine is all dented up from the PO just trying to get ideas

http://map.vulcan750.net/

VROC# 33976
1994 VN750

MODS SO FAR:
honda shadow 750 sissybar
ear shaved, K&N pods
142/42 jets, Cobra pipes
oversized tires, vn800 seat
vn750 rad cover, Tank bib
custom mirrors, gel battery
led dash lights, led tail light
led plate light, chrome levers
horn relocation, custom voltmeter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Although an added expense , you could pick up another tank to paint. So if you end up selling the bike, you can keep the artwork as a souvenir.

I had a friend that did this, he had a local artist paint a reproduction of Boschs "Garden of Earthly Delights" on an extra tank.(freaking awesome) He sold the bike later with the unpainted stock tank, and kept the other one, which hangs on the wall in his home.
That's a cool idea for sure. I think I'd be too worried about scratching a custom paint job. Knowing my luck, the gas nozzle would puke all over it for some unknown "it's never done that before reason", ha ha.

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-04-2011 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
Try going to a place that does vinyl graphics and get some decals done. Most places around here are pretty reasonable. Then just apply them before the clear coat and go over them. Other than that, painting them on is the way to go. I know I am going to hear from more experienced paint guys about this too, but hey really it boils down to what you want done not anyone else.
If you're looking to keep cost down, the vinyl stickers are probably your best option. Make sure the basecoat is well cured and properly preped to make sure the decals don't peel or bubble. If you want a smooth feel, you can 'bury' the stickers in clear coat, but it takes a lot of patience and a lot of clear.

I've done a lot of paint, but know the limits to my abilities (and bank account), and would go this route myself for something intricate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement