Part out? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Part out?

Is there any money to be made parting out this bike? I don't know what to do with it. It will not stay running right. Everyday is a new adventure. Sometimes it runs great, others it is dangerous to ride because it won't run well and could cause an accident. I have 1500 in it give or take...and a lot of work. Nobody is buying used bikes right now, or they are just looking for really cheap stuff cause people are tightening their belts. I can't sell my bike for $700 it seems. Not that I could blame anyone for not wanting it, it's 20 yrs old and ANYTHING could break anytime. Sorry, just frustrated, wish I would have just saved up for something worth while.

Bike is sold, thanks for the help guys. Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Sorry to hear it, I don't speak for everyone, it would be difficult for me to give $700 for a parts bike... maybe only for someone who knows the potential value in it. You'll get more through parting it...

85 VN700 Project Bike
Earshave
R/R Relocate
Mustang Seat
Custom grill cover
Busted Engine... removed, split, waiting on parts
Cleaning up & painting the rest

Parts still needed... wanted...
11" shocks, or one stock
Aftermarket exhaust... eventually
Extended forward controls or custom hwy peg mounts for my cramped legs...

Last edited by G3P0; 08-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've bought several bikes, some for rebuilding, some for parting. If most of the bike is in pretty good shape (e.g., it's not all rusty, the tank looks pretty good, most of the pieces are there....), you could indeed get a fairly good price for it. Parting it out yourself is another option, but folks aren't buying much in the way of parts right now, either. And it's a PITA dealing with payment, mailing, etc., etc.

Let me go back through your threads and see if I see anything that maybe someone else missed. Not very likely, 'cause the folks on the Forum are *awesome*, but it doesn't hurt to have one more pair of eyes on the problem.

Ok, just looked through all your posts - not sure what's going on now, but it sounds like the original problem was some very dirty carbs. Seems like the bike was running ok for awhile after you did that. What's happened now that's got you frustrated?

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-01-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Scanned previous threads and posts

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

It seems to only run on 1 cylinder at idle. If I can get it going off the idle jets, and that's a big if, it runs good. But then it dies every time I stop. I did run it low on gas and maybe some junk from the tank got in the carbs. Maybe I should try some seafoam in the tank. Also, I notice there is a little fuel in the vacuum line to the petcock. Just like a drop, but I don't think any gas is supposed to get in there. Not sure, but it's not really ridable cuz it is not idling right at all. Thanks

It's just frustrating because it ran great for 3 weeks, and I bought a new battery, and that day it goes back to running like crap. I need a bike I can trust or I don't need a bike at all I guess. Also, I don't know much about carbs. I can pull them off and install them, but beyond that I don't know much. They were rebuilt and cleaned a couple months ago. I need a new bike w/fuel injection but until the cars are paid off, another payment is out of the question. Sorry for the rant, I appreciate the people on this site, I've done quite a bit to my pos bike I couldn't have done, but it's just old and I don't think it was maintained very well.

Bike is sold, thanks for the help guys. Ride safe.

Last edited by Freedom; 08-02-2011 at 07:12 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
It seems to only run on 1 cylinder at idle. If I can get it going off the idle jets, and that's a big if, it runs good. But then it dies every time I stop. I did run it low on gas and maybe some junk from the tank got in the carbs. Maybe I should try some seafoam in the tank. Also, I notice there is a little fuel in the vacuum line to the petcock. Just like a drop, but I don't think any gas is supposed to get in there. Not sure, but it's not really ridable cuz it is not idling right at all. Thanks

It's just frustrating because it ran great for 3 weeks, and I bought a new battery, and that day it goes back to running like crap. I need a bike I can trust or I don't need a bike at all I guess. Also, I don't know much about carbs. I can pull them off and install them, but beyond that I don't know much. They were rebuilt and cleaned a couple months ago. I need a new bike w/fuel injection but until the cars are paid off, another payment is out of the question. Sorry for the rant, I appreciate the people on this site, I've done quite a bit to my pos bike I couldn't have done, but it's just old and I don't think it was maintained very well.
really hate to hear that but if you think about it there are new bikes out there in the shop all the time, I'm no master wrencher either but in the same boat as you, if I wanna ride I gotta wrench on the ol 86, I've put a good bit of money in it since I've had it but when I consider the gas savings as it is my daily commuter and saves me almost a hundred a week in gas the repairs usually pay for themselves and then some in no time, even the stator replacement. I'm on my second or third battery, 4th rear tire, 3rd front. its needed plugs changed, acct springs till the conversion and just always seems like something, right now its cutting out again and I'm hoping a few vacuum lines will fix that, I'll see tomorrow! and although its aggravating as hell, I STILL LOVE THE BIKE. but understand your frustration. if its not costing you to keep it do like I do, try to troubleshoot the cheap things first and ask a lot of questions here! wish you luck!

And on the otherhand I had a buddy that had a baitcaster and another with a riding mower and they both got frustrated with them and gave them to me, if you get to that point I'm always here and michigan isnt far. LOL, no really good luck!!!!!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm sorry, that sounds really, really frustrating. There shouldn't be any gas at all in the vacuum line; and if only one cyl is working at idle, there's still something wrong with the carbs. I can't remember now, but did you say a friend cleaned them or someone at a shop? Either way, it sounds like maybe they weren't broken down all the way. Or, as you say, running the tank low pulled some more crud into them. Do try the Seafoam - I haven't found it to be the miracle worker that others have, but it's never done my bikes any harm, either! You can also shoot some Gumout up through the drain on each carb - fill it up, let it sit, drain it; do the other one. Maybe a little more direct than the Seafoam.

C
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Hey man I feel for ya. A month ago I thought I was going to sell my v to the first person that showed a hint of interest. Doesn't look like the same bike now after blood (literally) sweat and cursing. Both of the floats in my carbs were stuck open and it flooded so badly that after I fixed them I couldn't start the engine till I changed the oil. Must have been two quarts of gas in the crank case! Then I had no lights, then no speedo, then, and still no gas gauge, needed a petcock but it's such a fun and quick bike that looking back, I'm so glad I didn't write it off. I really hope things turn around for you. If you can get the carbs off and clean the floats I think you'll have a better chance at getting it resolved. I farted around with seafoam (it is a good product) and carb cleaner but nothing lasted till I ripped them off the engine and kicked their asses on the work bench. Anyway, I wish ya the best with it.
Dave

Oh, just a note: I had never dealt with this type of carb assembly but found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did have an auto shop crack the screws to the float chambers though so I wouldn't strip them. If yours have been off b4 you will probably not have that problem. Peace.

Last edited by DavesVulster; 08-02-2011 at 10:33 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Ok. I am not a pro at wrenching on bikes, work on mine and on my buddies.

If you have the time and don't mind getting dirty, I would say yank the carbs and tear them down. use the manual, and talk to the carb guys here....Think you need to rebuild the petcock as well...

Just out of curiosity, have you tried raising the idle using the black knob on the carbs?

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Hoser

Quote:
You have plugged pilot jets and idle circuits. And probably some dirt/rust in the tank. Replace the pilot jets, don't clean them. Also, use a small inline fuel filter until it runs clean. The factory petcock is a piece of ****, replace it with a pingle if you have the skills/cash.

Don't give up, it can be done.

1986 VN750A(2) 12224 miles.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Old Truck Junkie

If you are getting fuel from the vac line, I would fix that problem first. It may be that extra fuel may be getting in the front cylinder and causing a flooding effect. Once you reve up the fuel ratio evens out and runs better with more air. Just a possibility.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement