Parting Out Vs. Rebuild - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Parting Out Vs. Rebuild

Hello, Everyone.

A few months ago I posted this thread, where my engine was knocking for a few minutes before it seized up on me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to tear into it yet as I'm away on business, but in a week or so I will be back home and able to start this... project.

However, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of parting the bike out if I tear into it and discover that the engine is beyond my skills or desire to repair. My questions are this: at what point should I cut my loss and try and part this thing out, how much could I hope to get out of the desirable parts, and how fast do used parts sell for typically for this bike? I know there are some people on here with some experience with this.

My bike is a 2002 VN750, 18k miles, and very clean. I only paid $1,400 for it, so I'm hoping to be able to get that out of the spare parts if it came down to it.

Thanks,
Kris

Edit: Inserted hyperlink to previous thread...

Last edited by Kilhoffa; 07-31-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:31 PM

It really depends on your mechanical skill set. As long as you didn't bow anything up parts like new rings bearings and whatnot aren't too expensive if you can do the work yourself. If you blew a rod and smashed the piston into the valve head (see pics in the other thread just posted) it could get pretty expensive. What you have to weigh is the cost of the parts and labor against your financial ability to cut your losses and put the money you would have spent into a new bike. If you're paying for a mechanic to to the re-build it could easily get into the thousands of dollars.
Again you need to at least be able to tear it down and asses the repair before making any decision on scraping it.

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

if you feel you don't have the skills for a complete tear done, you might consider spending 6 or 7 hundred dollars on a replacement motor. and just swapping them. i would think you still be below the value of the bike with what you have already invested. just my opinion though.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4cm5 View Post
if you feel you don't have the skills for a complete tear done, you might consider spending 6 or 7 hundred dollars on a replacement motor. and just swapping them. i would think you still be below the value of the bike with what you have already invested. just my opinion though.
By replacement do you mean used? Or a drop in re-build? Or a brand new replacement motor? I know I wouldn't spend 700 on a used motor. If you're talking re-built or new though where did you find that price?

No more Vulcan
New ride 2012 Victory hammer 8 ball
Stage 1 with Cobra 2 into 1 exhaust.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
The Reanimater

Here is the 2002 VN750 I started out with. Check out the links.
I wanted to rebuild because now I know what was done to it & what was fixed.
Just remember that even if you bought another bike you could get one with worst problems.
You already got $1400.00 in it whats a few 100 more to make it the bike want.

The journey begins:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10466

The journey continues:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10664

The journey ending:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhoffa View Post
Hello, Everyone.

A few months ago I posted this thread, where my engine was knocking for a few minutes before it seized up on me. Unfortunately I haven't been able to tear into it yet as I'm away on business, but in a week or so I will be back home and able to start this... project.

However, I'm not completely opposed to the idea of parting the bike out if I tear into it and discover that the engine is beyond my skills or desire to repair. My questions are this: at what point should I cut my loss and try and part this thing out, how much could I hope to get out of the desirable parts, and how fast do used parts sell for typically for this bike? I know there are some people on here with some experience with this.

My bike is a 2002 VN750, 18k miles, and very clean. I only paid $1,400 for it, so I'm hoping to be able to get that out of the spare parts if it came down to it.

Thanks,
Kris

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix