Still having carb issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Still having carb issues

When I bought my bike a several months ago it had been sitting with California gas in it. I had the carbs cleaned out after having some issues. I should have done it myself but it was a momentary bit of laziness for which I'll regret. They reported that they found lots of goey gunk in them. I asked them if they cleaned the tank and they just said they drained it down and it looked clear. The bike ran ok for a bit. Then the idle started varying wildly. Sometimes I'd come to a stop and it would idle at 2000 RPMs, sometimes 1500, 800, 300. Sometimes it will only idle with throttle left in. Sometimes I could pull the front plugs and it wouldn't make any difference, sometimes the rear would not. The carbs seemed to come and go. I've been running seafoam through the system for about the last 50 miles. At times everything clears up and it great, then it will no longer idle. At one point I thought a couple long rides with seafoam had cleared them up. Then the next day it was worse. Also, my choke has been odd since the overhaul. I can start it with the choke on but I can never advance the throttle, even after warming up. I have to kill the engine and restart it, then it runs great (not even touching the choke or throttle, just stop and restart).

So I'm thinking I need to redo the carb overhaul and clean out the tank. I'm going to use carbworx.com to do the overhaul. (I'll mail them to them).

However, before doing that is there anything else I should do? I've heard some people say to drain the float and see if that clears stuff up. I've read about people pulling injectors with the carbs still on and cleaning them. Is any of this worth the time???

Thanks!
-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
However, before doing that is there anything else I should do? I've heard some people say to drain the float and see if that clears stuff up. I've read about people pulling injectors with the carbs still on and cleaning them. Is any of this worth the time???

Thanks!
-Robert
You could get a painters cup and drain the carbs into it and check the fuel in there...

Anything is worth your time if youre willing to do it in my opinion... if youre going to pull the carb to ship it, you could pull the bowls off and remove the jets and the transition bowl and check to see if its gummed up...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestjd View Post
You could get a painters cup and drain the carbs into it and check the fuel in there...

Anything is worth your time if youre willing to do it in my opinion... if youre going to pull the carb to ship it, you could pull the bowls off and remove the jets and the transition bowl and check to see if its gummed up...
Can any of this be done with the cars on the bike?
-Robert

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Ba dum dum, ching...

Robert,
This sound similar to what happened to me when i first bought my bike. After trying everything else in the end I would up having the carbs pulled and cleaned. It sounds to me like your float is stuck (sounds just like the problem i had which was caused by stuck floats.)

R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement