High Mileage - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

High Mileage

What is considered high mileage on a watercooled bike.If I were to buy a used bike how high of miles should I stay away from?I would think an air cooled motor would pass away before a watercooled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
46,000 on mine and many others here with quite a few reported the 100,000 mark or more. and then again a lot depends on the maintenance the bike really recieved!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Depending on how well cared for, with all maintenance records ....I'd stay away from bikes with over 60,000 miles on them. Air-cooled bikes I'd stay under 40,000.

As there are bikes with less miles out there, that's where I'd put my money.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Glenn C.

Mileage and size is the thing.

Let's say its a 90 VN750 with 50K miles, thats not too bad,
or let's say a 88 Goldwing 1100 with 167K miles, that's alot.

But consider the goldwing probably went across country and long trips, while the 750 was probably used as a town cruiser and weekend warrior.

The guys i know that work at LMTRIKE, where they do trike conversions, said they had an old 80s something goldwing with over 200K miles on it and still ran great.
And they've seen smaller bikes with less miles run like crap.

But like wib714 said "a lot depends on the maintenance the bike really recieved!"

My gf's bro, bought a 84 honda shadow 700 with 28K miles on it, my 01 vn750 has 19K. He asked if 28K was alot, i told him, no not really.
Sometimes its better to have an older bike with high miles, cuz hey you know it runs and hasn't been sitting for years and years. If you get an older bike with low low miles, i hope it was taken care of and not just sitting and sitting.

Also it depends on your area. The riding season here in Minnesota is way shorter than that of Florida. I do good to put on 6 to 8 K a year here in MN, while people living in Florida, can ride and put on way way more.

Also, its a big difference, if the bike has been sitting/stored out in the HEAT and RAIN, or the COLD and the SNOW.

So all in all, it's not easy to determine what is high miles. The smaller the motor, or the larger the motor, makes a difference.
I wouldn't want to buy a 1990's 400cc bike that has 50K miles on it, but I would buy a 90's 1100 with 50K on it.

Hope that helps.

I would say assume the average rider about 6K a year, so if the bike is a 1990, it may have 126,000 miles. Wow!! That's 21 years, and 6K miles a year!

Now 6K a year is an average, it may be high or low, depending on where you live.

My 2001 vn750 has 19K on it, I bought it with 6k on it about 3 years ago.
So my bike is now 10yrs old, so you would think, assuming 6k a year, it would have 60K miles on it, not 19K.

My first bike was a 78 Suzuki gs750, bought it with 14K miles on it back in 2006. Paid $300 for it, fixed it up, rode it.
So it was 28 years old. So assuming 6k a year is 168K miles!! So it had really low miles. I sold it 2 years later with 21K on it for $1K.

Maybe my average of 6K is way off??!! Last year I put on 5.5K, and guys I ride with say they can easily do 9K a year!! So like I said, 6K is an average.

Hope this helps some
Peace

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all.The reason I asked is a buddy of mine just bought a 2001 Harley springer1450cc it has 30,000 miles on it he asked if I thought that was high mileage.I had no Idea what to tell him.He paid $8,900 for it. beautiful bike not a mark on it. THX again now we both know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Glenn C.

A 2001 Harley 1450cc with 30K miles on it.
That is almost double what my 01 VN750 has. But still, being 10 years old with 30K on it, that's only an average of 3k a year. So not really bad. And since its a much bigger bike, like i said, it probably got rode on much longer trips.
If its a beautiful bike with no marks on it, and rides great, that's all that really matters though.

I'm not sure what the going price on such a Harley is, so as far as paying $8900, i haven't a clue if he got a good deal or not.

Just tell him to ride safe and try to keep up with the VN's. LOL

Peace

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcextreme View Post
A 2001 Harley 1450cc with 30K miles on it.
That is almost double what my 01 VN750 has. But still, being 10 years old with 30K on it, that's only an average of 3k a year. So not really bad. And since its a much bigger bike, like i said, it probably got rode on much longer trips.
If its a beautiful bike with no marks on it, and rides great, that's all that really matters though.

I'm not sure what the going price on such a Harley is, so as far as paying $8900, i haven't a clue if he got a good deal or not.

Just tell him to ride safe and try to keep up with the VN's. LOL

Peace
As far as I can tell the bike runs great when he pulls next to me the mirrors on my bike vibrates Its loud but great sound I wouldnt want to take a trip on it without earplugs and nice apehangers.Later this year when he gets more miles under his belt with it I am going to try him out in a little race.Before he told me I didnt know harley made a 1450 cc bike I know what our bikes will do with a 1200 now we will try one a little bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement