Breakdown surprise - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Breakdown surprise

Two weeks ago when it was 93 degrees out I went for smokes on my bike.I grabbed my half helmet and for the first time did not wear my leather because I wasnt going far and it was hot as hell.Also did not have my cell phone.Pretty stupid HUH!!Well when I got my smokes the wind was feeling so good I decided to take a little ride on the country roads a few miles from where I live so off I went about ten miles from my house is a state park The road to enter it has a little creek running under it so I stopped and sat by the creek and had a smoke and listened to the water and nature and generally got a real calm feeling inside.Getting ready to go I throw on my brain bucket and wouldnt ya know it my bike would not start.I tried every few minutes until the battery started dying now i figure I will push it to start it so I set out pushing it up the hill so I could get a good start.Did this three times and no good Now I am out of power sweatin like a hog and pissed.I went and sat on a wall and wondered what the hell to do now.Well I heard a bike coming out of the park and toward me It was a beautiful gold with big metal flake paint Harley chopper.Riding it was a man older then me with long hair and a lot of old faded tatoos.Well he stopped and asked me if I was ok (aint that something A Harley Rider)I told him my misery and he said how about I push you around and see if we could start it.I told him no thank you if it doesnt start soon I will flag someone down and call the wife.I was blown away that this rider wanted to help me being he owned a harley and a fantastic one at that.I had a real warm feeling for that guy.I think we both would have died pushing the bike around in the heat.OK so I went back and sat for about a half hour and finally decided to give it one more try before I flagged someone down And wouldnt ya know it started right up with a nearly dead battery.New plugs and a complete checkup for the bike coming.Damn I hate breaking down.That was the first and hopefully the last on the vulcan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 PM
life's a garden, dig it.

Cool story even though it to a breakdown to experence the kindness of people and harley owners

My father in law owns a harley, he is cool about helping others too. ( but he wont help honda owner lol)

he says back in the day at sturgis they would burn hondas...,..ouch how mean!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Harley riders are not bad, there are bad riders riding all types of bikes.
Glad you got it started.
I own a Harley and stop to make sure any bike on the side of the road is ok.
Some people are just A$$ Holes no mater what they ride.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Harley Owners

There are a lot of Harley owners that started out on a metric. Our own "Old Dog" for one. Some Harley owners will wave some won't. Be careful and be the kind of person you want others to be.

Mcneuby

PS I just got my VN750 last year and I like it better everyday

Last edited by Mcneuby; 07-16-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Grammer
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

There is something else that really don't get mentioned much at all that might make a lot of younger folks understand old Harley riders...
There are still a few WWII Vets still living, and a lot of us that remember WWII and those lives lost, the nearest kin I lost was a cousin, and had an uncle that returned in not so good shape...
Also you should remember how we rebuilt their factories with the new & modern equipment that actually put them in a more modern state than our own factories, which a lot were converted to build war supplies & equipment... Things were even tough here at home during the war with all the rations & short supplies... You had to have stamps to buy a lot of things, and they were not S&H green stamps either... I remember wanting a cap pistol & holster for Christmas, what I got was a card board holster and a pistol made from compressed saw dust and painted black, things were just hard to come by, either finding or affording... A lot of folks on the forum use the term, "back in the day" when they don't know about back in the day...
Then there were the early imports that were nothing more than cheap imitations or as we called them beer can products... Remember the earlier Honda cars that had to be recalled due to the fenders falling off...??? Look out for that fender layin in the road...lol... A lot of cheap junk in those days, the better ones being the VW & Volvo and for those that could afford them the Mercedes...
BTW-I'm on my first (owned) Harley, but have owned Simplex, Cushman, Hondas, Bultacos, Ossas, Kawasakis etc. ...
Just a reminder from an older fart, about where some of the old soldiers, & older folks feelings might come from......
PS-And as Mcneuby said, be the kind of person you want others to be......

Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 07-16-2011 at 10:02 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
There is something else that really don't get mentioned much at all that might make a lot of younger folks understand old Harley riders...
There are still a few WWII Vets still living, and a lot of us that remember WWII and those lives lost, the nearest kin I lost was a cousin, and had an uncle that returned in not so good shape...
Also you should remember how we rebuilt their factories with the new & modern equipment that actually put them in a more modern state than our own factories, which a lot were converted to build war supplies & equipment... Things were even tough here at home during the war with all the rations & short supplies... You had to have stamps to buy a lot of things, and they were not S&H green stamps either... I remember wanting a cap pistol & holster for Christmas, what I got was a card board holster and a pistol made from compressed saw dust and painted black, things were just hard to come by, either finding or affording... A lot of folks on the forum use the term, "back in the day" when they don't know about back in the day...
Then there were the early imports that were nothing more than cheap imitations or as we called them beer can products... Remember the earlier Honda cars that had to be recalled due to the fenders falling off...??? Look out for that fender layin in the road...lol... A lot of cheap junk in those days, the better ones being the VW & Volvo and for those that could afford them the Mercedes...
BTW-I'm on my first (owned) Harley, but have owned Simplex, Cushman, Hondas, Bultacos, Ossas, Kawasakis etc. ...
Just a reminder from an older fart, about where some of the old soldiers, & older folks feelings might come from......

Well said OD,I lost an uncle earlier this year that was a WWII combat vet and he was one that lived it, with five battle stars Including the battle of the bulge and normandy beach .

My younger days we were dirt poor too and i understand what it is to do without and i am Thankful every day that i can live in relative ease compared to what my parents went through trying to raise a family and i do remember cheap Jap Junk and some pretty crappy stuff being built here too trying to keep up with the flood of imports.

Now everybody has to build a quality product or they won't stay in business long,including the major bike manufacturers.Now when we go for a ride and our bike breaks down it is a major event.

Back when i started you expected something to happen and figured out real fast how to take care of yourself,as there weren't a lot of bikes on the road and most cars didn't stop to see what that idiot on the motorcycle was doing unless they knew you personally.

It boils down to ,People are just people .There are good ones and bad ones and some in between .No matter what the ride or drive

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
The Reanimater

Here's a Link that might take ya back. In fact I have a couple around here that I found in my GrandMothers stuff after she Pasted Away.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytrave...7612984409328/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
There is something else that really don't get mentioned much at all that might make a lot of younger folks understand

hings were even tough here at home during the war with all the rations & short supplies... You had to have stamps to buy a lot of things, and they were not S&H green stamps either...

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Thanks JT, everyone should go to the link in your posted dite and see how things were "back in the day"...
Click this URL to go streight to it... http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
I think it would be a good history lesson as well as a reminder of what folks went through during WWII... About another generation and it will be lost to most folks, if it is not already...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds to me like you need an AGM battery................

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Sounds to me like you need an AGM battery................
^Yep, higher crankin amps really help, also when you start, especially when cold, you should put the bike in neutral as well as pull in the clutch to reduce starting effort as much as possible...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement