sigh - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
life's a garden, dig it.

sigh

So I bought my bike on june 21st and have been loving it.
Today I get a call from the place I bought it from. They inform me that the mileage is wrong between what I signed for and what was on the title.

I signed and agreed that there was 15k miles on it (2004) and the title shows that there is over 100k on it.

I am lost on what action I should take.

I love the bike, but I do pl;an on getting a new model in a few years and IF I decide to sell, how bad will the mileage being way off hurt the resale....

Also should I let them get away with business tactics like this....

The bike is very clean and does not look like it has 100k miles on it, but there is that chance that it was a daily driver and could possibly have actually that many miles on it. At 15k miles a year its possible to have that many miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sam* View Post
So I bought my bike on june 21st and have been loving it.
Today I get a call from the place I bought it from. They inform me that the mileage is wrong between what I signed for and what was on the title.

I signed and agreed that there was 15k miles on it (2004) and the title shows that there is over 100k on it.

I am lost on what action I should take.

I love the bike, but I do pl;an on getting a new model in a few years and IF I decide to sell, how bad will the mileage being way off hurt the resale....

Also should I let them get away with business tactics like this....

The bike is very clean and does not look like it has 100k miles on it, but there is that chance that it was a daily driver and could possibly have actually that many miles on it. At 15k miles a year its possible to have that many miles.
They have probably broken disclosure laws knowing ly or not and they are trying to CTA(cover their A)you could ask for your money back or at least a good deal of it just to go away,or you cold hire an attorney and let hin sort it out for you.

I would talk to the store manager first and give him an opportunity to make it right first,be polite but firm and then if they don't make you happy. tell them you will seek legal advice.If you like the bike and want to keep it do not ride it there or let them have it back or sign any thing until you have read it thoroughly.

My guess is the mileage on the bike is correct and some moron lost the original title and applied for a duplicate and didn't remember the mileage so the dmv put 100,000 on the title by the same way you arrived at that figure ,JMHO

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Old Truck Junkie

15K is the most realistic miles on this bike. 100k is probably a miss type by the title preparer. I would not worry about it. It is odd to me that they would take time to call you over that.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM

I would ask for the name of the previous owner and check with him/her as to the actual mileage. Then see if the mess up can be corrected. If they won't disclose that info, seek legal advice.

If it wasn't for time, everything would happen at once!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Clint '89

My 89 was used by 'Kevin' and his late Grand father, most of the year even into november. @ 22k

"Someone once told me that watching the birds fly, made them want to go on a journey."
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 AM

That does sound like a typo, but perhaps PO thought he had a Goldwing. If it were me, I'd rethink what I'd be willing to pay for a bike with that many miles on it (not much) and speak nicely to the dealer about him returning the difference. The dealer's put himself in tough spot; pretty much it's your call at the negotiating table.

C
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM

I'd negotiate a discount. It's going to cost them money, anyhow. You might be able to walk away with some serious extra money in your pocket.

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 01:32 PM
The Reanimater

I went through the same thing when I registered my 750. You don't write down the 1/10's but most do. Mine said it had 450,000 miles. Well I said that there was no was no way a 2002(at the time) could have that many miles even if it was ridden 24/7. Anyway I had to take it to the DMV & they got all the numbers off it and sent them to Sacramento to have it fixed.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
life's a garden, dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthill524 View Post
I went through the same thing when I registered my 750. You don't write down the 1/10's but most do. Mine said it had 450,000 miles. Well I said that there was no was no way a 2002(at the time) could have that many miles even if it was ridden 24/7. Anyway I had to take it to the DMV & they got all the numbers off it and sent them to Sacramento to have it fixed.
Sadly they tried to correct it, but I guess the bike hasnt been registered since '08 so they say it can not be changed. In any event after speaking with the G.M. they are giving me a full refund... (I will believe it when cash is in hand)

Now to search for a new bike, hopefully within the week or I'm going to go crazy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Here's the facts as I see them. The title probably should say 10,000 and the bike had 15,000. The bike rides great and so far everything is good. BUT, the value of what you bought is greatly diminished by the document. Not saying that you are going to sell it anytime soon but when you want to exercise that option think of the offers you will receive on a bike that had all that mileage today (according to the title) and how much someone will be willing to pay you in the next few years.

If you love the bike then you should definitely work out a money settlement with the dealer. If things get nasty, remember that as it looks now the dealer has seriously broken the law by misrepresenting the product, akin to bait and switch. I would think that all if not most states have tough laws against that practice. GOOD LUCK!

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement