Carrie vs The Vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Carrie vs The Vulcan

Carrie recently expressed interest in learning to ride. My idea is, without her even sitting in the pilot's seat, to show her what lever does what and what the pedals do. That way, she'll at least know what does what when she goes for the MSF. Only AFTER she takes the MSF and has her license will I put her on the 750. That way she won't have technically "learned to ride" on the spunky VN750. She picks stuff up really quick so I'm thinking she should be ok. She's 5' 6" and (oh crap, I hope she doesn't kill me) about a buck 5. I can't remember how much the 750 weighs wet. Can I get a reminder? Here's a pick of my old bike just before sale and a picture of her - most of her anyway. I'm posting this because you guys always think of something I don't. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-25-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Dry weight 483 pounds per Ma Kaw ( 2001 ). Probably around 520 pounds wet.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
might want to drop the bike a couple inches... carrie is apx the same size as my step daughter, and she had problems reaching the ground

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Even tho you'll be having her go through a MSF class my suggestion is to get her a Vino first. I have always had a hard time recommending anything over 150cc as a first ride for anyone let alone someone that weights less than a large dog.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Even tho you'll be having her go through a MSF class my suggestion is to get her a Vino first. I have always had a hard time recommending anything over 150cc as a first ride for anyone let alone someone that weights less than a large dog.
Well, most can do fine on the 250cc bikes. A Honda Rebel, 250 Ninja or whatever is currently available. Many of these get sold after a short time, so they pop up alot in the For Sale lists.

I think the Vulcan is not really a good bike to start out with if you are small to begin with. A Corbin seat can work better than lowering the bike if you insist on going with the 750.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Ron

My daughter-in-law decided she wanted to learn to ride. My son rides a Ducati S4. Since according to her she is five foot nothing maybe 5'1" if she really streatches, I thought she would do better starting out on something like a Yamaha 250 Virago. Son of a gun, I just happened to have one of those. When she gets comfortable with that, then they have a Sportster she will move up to. I rode that 250 for two years until I felt comfortable enough to move up to the 750. Starting out with the MSF course and then staying with a smaller bike for a while is not a bad idea. It just depends on what she feels comfortable with.

Ron
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Did someone just compare my girlfriend to a large dog? And what kind of horse-dogs have you had that weigh more than 105 pounds? You rockin' Mastiffs dude?

Maybe I'll wait and see how confident she's is or isn't after she takes the MSF. If she's ready for a 500 or whatever, that's what I'll get. Of course if she's feelin' saucy and is cool with the 750, I'll pick that up. I'll leave it up to her. If I have to buy another bike before returning to the beloved VN750, so be it. I'd rather do that and know she'll be safe than risk her getting hurt on the 750 just because I'm hasty. That's a better way to go.

Wait, when did this go from me getting a VN750 again, to me buying Carrie a motorcycle!!!? LOL!!!! How does she do that!? Good thing she's cute...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 06-30-2011 at 10:09 AM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM

From all the stories about Carrie, she sounds like a keeper. I'd get her whatever she wanted.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Dawn is 5' 7" or so and goes 115. Like I have said before, she rides a 1200 Sportster and has no problems. Except for backing up on gravel, she has a tendency to slip. But with a "big strapping guy" like me around she manages. Or some of her other 'biker buddies'. Or she avoids gravel, which is usually the case.

So that is another thing to consider. Her manuvering the bike with no power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Wait, when did this go from me getting a VN750 again, to me buying Carrie a motorcycle!!!? LOL!!!! How does she do that!? Good thing she's cute...
Funny how that goes... It has happened to me a couple of times.

Alway do what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemmingway

Last edited by visualj; 06-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM

i agree with most the people on here a 750 is a pretty big bike for a begainer especially weighing only 150 pounds, a good starter would probably be a 250 rebel or so, the once she get comfortable the move her up casue keep in mine the vn 750 is rateed at 60 hp and it a pretty spunky bike i mean i weight like 220 pounds and it has not problem moveing me down the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement