Doing splines - lifting bike question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Doing splines - lifting bike question

Well, I can't even get past the very first step - putting the bike on a 2" piece of wood under the center stand. Since I am all alone I am worried about losing balance and tipping the bike over and to the ground. So, I was thinking about buying a low-end motorcycle lift - thing is, the engine is the lowest point on the bike - will that work?

I was looking at this:

http://www.discountramps.com/discoun...ycle-jacks.htm

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Banned

yes, but be careful about trapping the center stand. With the center stand in the up position, you may have difficulty getting the tire back in position.....
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm sure someone posted a "how to" video describing an effortless way to get the bike onto the center stand. I wasn't able to do it until viewing the video. I'm 140lbs and I have no problem getting the bike onto it's stand... I'd imagine the same technique would be effective in getting the bike on a 2 inch piece of plywood.

EDIT: Here's the link - https://www.vn750.com/video/Bike_stand.mpg

I'm not trying to come off as facetious but utilizing the proper technique really does help.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
that woul work i would think but if you can find help a 2" piece of wood is pretty cheap. I just did mine and used a piece of decking which is like one inch.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

That's just it, I'm all alone. Getting someone over is like murder. Ok so if that lift will work for me, and the engine is the lowest point on the bike, where do I position the lift under the bike? I feel like an idiot.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What I did was to put the bike on the centerstand and have a piece of 2X6 longer than the stand legs next to it. I carefully pushed the bike away from me and used a foot to slide one end of the board uner the nearest "foot". Then I repeated it on the other side, which took a little more effort due to the opposite foot being on the board.

If you get a lift, it goes under the frame where the engine is located, just as in the pictures. You may have to use blocks to ensure the lift doesn't hit the exhaust.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wib714 View Post
that woul work i would think but if you can find help a 2" piece of wood is pretty cheap. I just did mine and used a piece of decking which is like one inch.
One inch was high enough to get your 27mm socket in there? The free wood that Home Depot gave me was one and a half inches. So if you say that will work then maybe I'll try harder. Hell, I'll PAY someone to come over! LOL
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACataldo View Post
One inch was high enough to get your 27mm socket in there? The free wood that Home Depot gave me was one and a half inches. So if you say that will work then maybe I'll try harder. Hell, I'll PAY someone to come over! LOL
You're only 6 hours away, but it's too flippin' hot to ride! Pay a neighborhood kid a buck or two to move the board under the stand.

Old Blue

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
What I did was to put the bike on the centerstand and have a piece of 2X6 longer than the stand legs next to it. I carefully pushed the bike away from me and used a foot to slide one end of the board uner the nearest "foot". Then I repeated it on the other side, which took a little more effort due to the opposite foot being on the board.

If you get a lift, it goes under the frame where the engine is located, just as in the pictures. You may have to use blocks to ensure the lift doesn't hit the exhaust.
I'm gonna try this. So I guess you are saying that when one side is 2" higher the bike doesn't fall over while you walk around and do the other side? I still don't get the lift thing - the first thing the lift hits is the engine, I just looked at it again. I will google around and get some closeups. Thank you.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Well, the 2"X6" is actually 1.5" X 5.5", and no, mine didn't fall over while walking from one side to the other. But I kept my hand on it just in case.

Some lifts have adjustable adapters so the lift just contacts the frame. Otherwise, use wooden blocks strategically placed.

Old Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement