VN750 vs EN500 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Arrow VN750 vs EN500

I am trying to decide on my first bike and after month's of research I decided on EN 500 but it just occurred to me I never looked at VN 750. As stated, this would be my first bike BUT I am also 6'5" tall.

Purpose: mainly, daily 40 mile commute on motorway, occasional trips.
Things that matter to me:
- fit (I am quite tall)
- mpg (It looks like VN 750 manages 60 imperial mpg which is almost as good as EN 500)
- looks
- boots for overtaking and ability to long-time cruise at +80mph

So, what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed View Post
I am trying to decide on my first bike and after month's of research I decided on EN 500 but it just occurred to me I never looked at VN 750. As stated, this would be my first bike BUT I am also 6'5" tall.

Purpose: mainly, daily 40 mile commute on motorway, occasional trips.
Things that matter to me:
- fit (I am quite tall)
- mpg (It looks like VN 750 manages 60 imperial mpg which is almost as good as EN 500)
- looks
- boots for overtaking and ability to long-time cruise at +80mph

So, what do you think?
hello Lockheed and welcome to the Madness!
OK, down to business. I own the VN750 and my wife owns the EN500 Vulcan.
so I can tell you about both.
first thing I will say to you is this, go find one of each bike and sit on each one! like you said, 'fit (I am quite tall)', for that reason alone you may like the VN750 a little bit better.
now for the rest of it? first are you talking about the EN500 from '90-'96 or or you talking about the newer (LTD) '96-'09 models of the EN500's?

the mpg on the VN750 is around the 45-50 range, on the EN500 its around the 50-55 range.

as for 'boots for overtaking and ability to long-time cruise at +80mph'? trust me both will kick ass! been there done that! remember that the EN500 is a SIX SPEED!

so you really can't go wrong with either bike! you just need to see which one "fits" you better. I would say it you'd like the VN750 a little bit more in size, only because it is a little bit bigger and you would have a little bit more leg room. that is just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Drive less, ride more...

You don't tell us what city/state/country you are in, nor what your inseam is.

But at 6'5" tall, I would otherwise think that both bikes you've suggested will feel too small for you, especially on longer rides.

To make the motorcycling experience as initially pleasant as possible, I'm going to assume that your inseam is well past 30", and suggest that you get a bigger bike than either of the two you are considering.

A larger bike that is still mild mannered enough to be a good beginner bike would be something like the Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100 (do not get the VT1100 Shadow Sabre--it is a different machine; also, avoid the Yamaha V-Star 1100, as well--the Shadow Spirit is a better bike!). This bike will be comfy enough for someone your size. The VT1100 Spirits were built for a really long time without any real changes, and so spare parts shouldn't be a problem....if and when you may need them. There are plenty of aftermarket accessories availble for the Shadow Spirit--not so, with both the Vulcan 500 and 750.

Also....if properly cared for by a previous owner, the Shadow Spirit is as reliable as anything else out there.

The Spirit has plenty of power to cruise at speeds of 80 mph, and beyond.

I should know--I've been on more than one of them. The Shadow Spirit is a very good long-distance touring bike, too.

Hope this helps....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:02 AM

In my opinion, However ive never rode a an EN 500. Good looking bike though. My first bike was a 1983 Suzuki GS550. I got use to it in just a few months and I almost wished I would have gotten a bigger bike. Im only 5'9" so im sure you have a few more pounds on me. I was a bit lighter back in 83 also. I would think the 500 could be a little small for you. On the other hand you need to get a bike that fits your size so its comfortable to ride even if its not a EN500 or a VN750. A bike that fits you would be safer due to it would be easier and more comfortable to handle. Be safe no matter what you choose, take a good safety course and have fun.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 AM

I'm not as tall as you are, and when I rode the 500 at the MSF course, I found the close-in foot pegs very distracting. The 750 also has a much better set of equipment; Cast wheels, shaft drive, center stand, tach, instruments not mounted on the tank...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

I am only 5' 11" with a 30" inseam and I find the VN750 a wee bit small.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DEUCE View Post
I am only 5' 11" with a 30" inseam and I find the VN750 a wee bit small.
I`m about the same size, and echo the same opinion about the size of the 750.
I need to put highway pegs to stretch out on, if I`m in the saddle for more than 15-20 minutes.

I took a ride on an 1100 Shadow Spirit a year before I got my 750. As I recall, it was more spacious and comfortable for bigger guys. Theauhawk makes some good points for it as a starter bike for a tall fellow like yourself.

BTW, welcome to two wheel madness, Vulcan or otherwise.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Ooops. A few things about the Honda Spirit I forgot to mention earlier...

This bike is a low-maintenance machine (much like the VN750). No drive chains to lube or clean, and no belts to adjust.

Instead, the bike is shaft driven, like the other top-end touring bikes.

Also: the valves are self-adjusting. Thus, no valve adjust intervals to worry about.

Another thing--the Shadow Spirit has more available lean angle clearance on both sides (i.e., with the stock footpegs) than the VN750. This gives you more room to work with if you find yourself needing to lean the bike more, if you go into a turn too hot (a typical rookie problem). Most other cruisers have skimpy lean angle clearances, especially those with floorboards.

As a newbie to the sport, the above may not seem like that big a deal. But for some of us with a lot of riding time, the above makes a real difference in how good an experience you can have with a bike over time.

Also: if you have not had the beginner MSF course yet, please take it (and pass it) before you throw a leg over any VT1100. Trust me--you'll be glad you waited!....

For the MSF class nearest you, visit:

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercours...rCourse%20Info

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I am not as tall as you are lockheed, I am average size and I have owned both the EN500 and now the VN750. Both of them are great bikes. My 500 was my first real bike and I learned how to ride on it. It was a 94 and had belt drive which is very smooth and reliable. The new LTD has chain. Why they did that makes no sense to me. The VN750 is a much more sophisticated bike with instrumentation and a shaft drive and seemingly more powerful. On mine I have the engine guard bars on which I mounted highway pegs which allow me to fully stretch my legs but I am shorter than you. Sit on the bikes and see how comfortably they fit you and then decide. If you decide after that to get either of them you will have an excellent machine whichever you pick. Good luck.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement