Need help titling my VN700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Need help titling my VN700

I bought my bike (85 VN700), and it needs an entire rebuild from the floor up (balancer shafts bad, need some electrics redone, need major carb/air intake work).

Before I start into all this, I'd like to know what I'm looking at in getting this thing titled. The guy I bought it from had the title for it when I initially looked at it. When I went back to pick up the bike, he said he washed the title by accident leaving it in his jeans. He never transferred the title to himself so it's in the previous owner's name.

I've looked online and none of the scenarios for getting a new title fit mine. The best chance I probably have is getting a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from.

Do I have any chance of getting a title for this bike, or should I begin parting it out to cut my losses?

BTW, I live in Tennessee. Anyone from TN that has had experience in this issue would be appreciated.

1985 Vulcan 700 (VN700A1) - 18,960 miles - bought for $600 - was told it only needed carb idle screws and fuel lines to run correctly - it used to start

1983 Honda Nighthawk 750 (CB750SC) - 30,000 miles - 95% fully restored
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I had a similar situation. What you will need is a Power of Attorney from the last titled owner, apply for a duplicate title in his name, and have him sign it over to you.

Actually, I've been down this road twice. One went smooth as silk, the other was a royal PITA - all depends on the attitude of the previous owner.

Since you've got a lot of work ahead of you, the wait shouldn't be that big of a deal.

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I found the Power of Attorney form for TN online. Once he signs that and we have it notarized, can I then complete the application for lost title on my own without any signatures from him, and have the duplicate title sent to my home address?

If so, then I basically sign his name on the title back, along with mine, and turn it in to the county clerk, at which point it's sent off per business as usual and I get the new title in my name in appx 10 days?

1985 Vulcan 700 (VN700A1) - 18,960 miles - bought for $600 - was told it only needed carb idle screws and fuel lines to run correctly - it used to start

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Garage
Close... (?) Not sure the diff's between KS & TN laws, but Federal law states that for anything newer than...I honestly don't remember...you can't sign the title over to yourself due to odometer disclosure regulations.

So you need to get the POA signed, apply for the dupe title which can be mailed to you. and then have him sign the title again to transfer it to you. Or sign for him as the POA and transfer to someone else.

In my last little adventure, I signed for him and transferred the title to my wife, which for whatever was perfectly acceptable for the folks behind the counter - go figure!

Now, my wife's the proud owner of a 2006 Yamaha TW200!

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM

Garage
Also don't forget to either get two copies of the POA or get a notarized "certified" copy of the POA. You'll need one for the dupe title and another for the subsequent transfer.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Good point. I'll get 2, maybe 3 just in case.

I've spent the last 90 mins or so looking for online forms for TN and filling them out with as much info (not signing- I know to do that in front of the notary) so that when I present him with this, basically all we have to do is go to the notary and sign the PoA forms (I already have them downloaded for TN vehicles). He can even ride with me so he's not out any gas. I'm paying the fees, so he's only out a little bit of time.

I think in TN that anything over 15 yrs old is exempt from odometer requirements. I know the '86 Honda Shadow I bought after this bike I took the title (already signed by previous owner) to the county clerk, and because the Honda wasn't with me (in my garage waiting to be repaired as well) the odometer reading was left off the title that was turned in. When I got MY title for the shadow in the mail, the odometer reading portion was blank. If TN has a law against me titling the Vulcan to me, my brother will become the owner.

Thanks for all your help in this, and if anyone from TN has been through this and wants to chime in please do. You can never have too much info. Hopefully I can get this taken care of and begin rebuilding the vulcan. I found a thread on here where some guy in Georgia did this and basically ended up with a brand new showroom perfect 88 or 89 Vulcan 750. I'll be using his rebuild thread as a guideline along with the online repair manual. I do plan to replace the fenders with the GL1100 (front) and VN1500 Classic (rear) and might do an ear shave depending on if I can find decent air box boots.

And let me add, you Vulcan guys are way, WAY, WAY more helpful and assisting here than the owners over at shadow.net . Getting repair info on that Shadow has been like pulling teeth. I'm new to all this (building motorcycles- all the work on my Nighthawk was electrical and body- and titling issues) and your help and patience is definitely appreciated.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 AM

Garage
If you have an understanding PO, they you should be home free. It's still a bit of a laborious process, but certainly worth it in the long run. My last debacle was an out of state title (Oklahoma) and the PO was in Ok. and not particularly helpful.

I want to say the odo req't was 10 years, but it might have been 15, either way you're likely set in that regard. I just found it interesting that it was the odo req't that kept me from signing the title over to me. Took me two duplicates before I could finally manage to legally tag the TW. Wouldn't have been so bad if they'd spelled out these ridiculous rules somewhere...but they didn't...

In any case, sounds like you're pretty much set. Just need to hurry up & wait...

And you're right - this is a great group of folks on this forum, one of the best I've had the pleasure of keeping online company with in a long time!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

One last question- where is the engine number located?

I need it for one of the forms I'm filling out. I've looked on the engine and cannot find anything. I'm obviously not looking in the right place(s).

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post

And let me add, you Vulcan guys are way, WAY, WAY more helpful and assisting here than the owners over at shadow.net . Getting repair info on that Shadow has been like pulling teeth. I'm new to all this (building motorcycles- all the work on my Nighthawk was electrical and body- and titling issues) and your help and patience is definitely appreciated.
I dealt with Shadow.net for quite a while when I first got my 02 shadow sabre. You're right about that site. I've only been on here a couple of days and already see the difference. Good luck with your situation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

Go to DMV and tell them your scenerio and they will give you the proper paperwork to fill out.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement