Toasted Saleen - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Talking Toasted Saleen

left work, got to the light that i turn right onto the main 4 lane road which goes slightly uphill into the foothills. i was in 1st about halfway thru my turn when the light goes from yellow to red. at the front of the pack of cars waiting to go straight was a black car that must have saw a 'V-Twin' turning in front of him and he decided to floor it and show that slow Harley what his car could do. but i had just decided i didn't want a pack of cars right behind me, so i hit the gas harder than i've yet done... shifted around 8,000-8,500 up thru 4th and then leveled off since i was already doing about 75 in a 50 zone. 2 seconds later the black car finally catches up and pulls alongside to see what kind of Harley could blow him away. His surprise was that it was an old Kawasaki, my surprise is that it was a Saleen Mustang.
A satisfying start to the weekend

96 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
left work, got to the light that i turn right onto the main 4 lane road which goes slightly uphill into the foothills. i was in 1st about halfway thru my turn when the light goes from yellow to red. at the front of the pack of cars waiting to go straight was a black car that must have saw a 'V-Twin' turning in front of him and he decided to floor it and show that slow Harley what his car could do. but i had just decided i didn't want a pack of cars right behind me, so i hit the gas harder than i've yet done... shifted around 8,000-8,500 up thru 4th and then leveled off since i was already doing about 75 in a 50 zone. 2 seconds later the black car finally catches up and pulls alongside to see what kind of Harley could blow him away. His surprise was that it was an old Kawasaki, my surprise is that it was a Saleen Mustang.
A satisfying start to the weekend
No doubt, a pretty fair kicker up to & beyond the 75 mph you ran, and the R's don't stop at 8.5K either...lol... But you can't expect a street cage to get you on a hole shot, if he does you are not doin your part or the bike isn't one...
Good job anyway, you gave the Ah what he had comin...lol...
Do be careful about the red lights though, and remember you are the little guy, and the bigger guys think you will be the only one to hurt if they hit you...
And they just want to be Ahs......
PS-BTW-Thats why I'm on the puter now, I usually do most of my ridin during the week, but for sure not on big week end holidays like Memorial day...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 05-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
And that is one of the reasons motorcycles are fun. Physics..... Simple power to weight ratios. A 250 ninja can get through an intersection quicker than any street legal car.

From 0-60 not much out there quicker than a bike. Even race cars just can't accelerate as fast as most large engined bikes.

Blowing away some fool in their high priced uber cars is always satisfying......as long as it is done safely and legally of course

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Brings a smile to my face. Have fun and stay safe.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Haven't ran 4th up to redline yet, but 2nd @ 8k is 70 mph for me...?

Related smile - on the edge of town, we have these 2 lane roads that are 4 way stops at each mile, but open up to 4 lane at the intersection for about a 100 yds and then the right lane ends, back to two lane. The right hand lane is not a turn only lane, so I was in the habit of switching the right lane at the sign and passing however many cars were backed up at each intersection to speed along the commute.

After just finishing up a Mikuni VM34 carb transplant onto the wifes KZ440 LTD and getting the carbs dialed in nicely, I pull up next to a new GTO. He sees me on the clutch looks away with one of those "whatever, I'll show you" scoffs and starts revving the Goat. (Granted 6'5" me on a lowered 440 is probably an entertaining sight...) We take off and the 440 has him by about 10 feet when the lane ended. I had to back off to merge, but I still remember the day I took the Goat!

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement