Suggestion for summer jacket - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Suggestion for summer jacket

Any suggestion on summer jackets? Temps around here hit triple digits so something that is breathable is good. Looking for black leather (because I'm cool like that). Armor or otherwise. Mostly looking for something reasonably priced that won't be deadly hot at stop lights.

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I think anything in leather will be unbearable in triple digit temperatures.
Black is going to be the hottest color you can pick. It may look "cool", but you will cook in it.
I think you will need a mesh jacket, maybe even a cooling vest under it when it is that hot.
Sorry I can`t offer any specific suggestions.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, wearing black leather in 100 degree weather is, well, Uncool. You may think you look badass, but everyone is saying "hey look, some idiot wearing black leather in this heat!..."

I recommend a light grey mesh jacket from Firstgear. Or if you want the best, a Kevlar mesh from cycleport/motoport...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I concur with the motoport suggestion. Expensive but worth it. The cooling vests work awesome when i ride over 100 degrees especially. I also use a Coolin Cloths bandana on my neck...its like a chamois cloth that holds water and cools the arterial blood through evaporation.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, wearing black leather in 100 degree weather is, well, Uncool. You may think you look badass, but everyone is saying "hey look, some idiot wearing black leather in this heat!..."

KM
I went out with my leather jacket last week and people were looking at me exactly like "hey look, some idiot wearing black leather in this heat!..." lol... I was actually cooler than them though, cause the wind was pretty cool and the sun wasn't hitting my skin. I thought I would cook but it was really cool.

However, now the heat is getting worse and the air isn't cool anymore, so I bet if I try that now I'll just cook myself really fast.

If it were me, I'd look for a mesh jacket, preferably in a light color (white if possible). Although I read that in places with extreme heat it's actually better to not have the air hit your skin... so maybe something like a very thin non-mesh jacket might work better upwards of 110 degrees, but I'm not an expert on that theory though.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
I went out with my leather jacket last week and people were looking at me exactly like "hey look, some idiot wearing black leather in this heat!..." lol... I was actually cooler than them though, cause the wind was pretty cool and the sun wasn't hitting my skin. I thought I would cook but it was really cool.

However, now the heat is getting worse and the air isn't cool anymore, so I bet if I try that now I'll just cook myself really fast.

If it were me, I'd look for a mesh jacket, preferably in a light color (white if possible). Although I read that in places with extreme heat it's actually better to not have the air hit your skin... so maybe something like a very thin non-mesh jacket might work better upwards of 110 degrees, but I'm not an expert on that theory though.
I have never read that. I always thought that when you are in a heat situation you need air circulation to aid in the evaporation of sweat from your body. Isn't that how we cool down? of course the main thing is to stay hydrated and pay attention to your body. I tried on my dad's perforated leather jacket and went for a ride and all I thought was wow, what a difference. All I have is the ubiquitous black leather "biker" jacket and even with the vents open it's fricken hot. IMHO airflow is the way to go. Look at something like this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok, it makes sense to not wear black leather. However, I don't want to look like one of those kids who ride the little plastic bikes.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 PM

I have an Xpert black leather jacket that has a snap-in liner so it serves for all seasons. With the liner out, it has a mesh inner and vents all over the place. It's actually cooler than a white nylon windbreaker up into the 90s.

As for the theory of the matter, breeze increases the rate of heat transfer. Up to 98.6 degrees, when you are warmer than the air, this is a good thing. Above 98.6 degrees, increased heat transfer from the air is a bad thing.

The reason it can be bad to have air circulation is that, above 98.6 degrees, it will dramatically increase the rate of perspiration, just asking for dehydration on anything but the shortest of rides. In those conditions, cooling gear is the right answer.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBoring25 View Post
I have an Xpert black leather jacket that has a snap-in liner so it serves for all seasons. With the liner out, it has a mesh inner and vents all over the place. It's actually cooler than a white nylon windbreaker up into the 90s.

As for the theory of the matter, breeze increases the rate of heat transfer. Up to 98.6 degrees, when you are warmer than the air, this is a good thing. Above 98.6 degrees, increased heat transfer from the air is a bad thing.

The reason it can be bad to have air circulation is that, above 98.6 degrees, it will dramatically increase the rate of perspiration, just asking for dehydration on anything but the shortest of rides. In those conditions, cooling gear is the right answer.
X2 to IMB`s explanation of heat transfer when riding in temps above 99*F. You better know what you are about, if you are going to ride more than just a few miles in triple digit temps. To avoid heat exhaustion or heat stroke, you will be wearing insulated gear and a fullface helmet. You will protect your neck from direct exposure to wind flow. You will not look "cool", and other drivers in their a/c cars will look at you like you`re nuts for being dressed like that. You will also have to work at staying hydrated.

Read the section on hot weather riding in David L. Hough`s Book, Proficient Motorcycling, to get a good understanding of what gear and tactics you need to employ to ride long distances in hot weather.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Angell View Post
I have never read that. I always thought that when you are in a heat situation you need air circulation to aid in the evaporation of sweat from your body. Isn't that how we cool down? of course the main thing is to stay hydrated and pay attention to your body. I tried on my dad's perforated leather jacket and went for a ride and all I thought was wow, what a difference. All I have is the ubiquitous black leather "biker" jacket and even with the vents open it's fricken hot. IMHO airflow is the way to go. Look at something like this.
yea, that's supposed to work in other climates but not extreme heat (we get up to 120+ here)... OlHoss just explained it, but I think there's also something about the dry, very hot air not giving enough time for the sweat to give you any evaporative cooling... it's kinda counter-intuitive, but so is counter-steering and we still do it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement