Motorcycle died today, could use some help please! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle died today, could use some help please!

Sorry this is a little long, just wanted to get it all in.

Today I was on a ride for 45 minutes, I went to a turn around area and as soon as I got the back down to not moving and in neutral the bike died. I started it right back up and it was fine.
I then drove for 5 minutes, parked it and turned it off for 30 minutes. When I got back to start it the bike just made a clicking noise. I tried to jump it, which was unsuccessful a few times.
After a couple hours I went back to it and fuel was leaking from the bike. It leaked on a couple yellow wires and the was an uncapped hose leaking fuel where the battery was. There was also a lot of fuel on the outside of the carb. The bolt on the left of the fuel tank was a little loose and the fuel tank could move a little.
Also, the headlight doesn't turn on, but the all the other lights can come on. Any suggestions?? Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
headlight wont come on till it is running I believe. take your battery to autozone and have it load tested. someone else will chime in on the fuel1

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce34 View Post
Sorry this is a little long, just wanted to get it all in.

Today I was on a ride for 45 minutes, I went to a turn around area and as soon as I got the back down to not moving and in neutral the bike died. I started it right back up and it was fine.
I then drove for 5 minutes, parked it and turned it off for 30 minutes. When I got back to start it the bike just made a clicking noise. I tried to jump it, which was unsuccessful a few times.
After a couple hours I went back to it and fuel was leaking from the bike. It leaked on a couple yellow wires and the was an uncapped hose leaking fuel where the battery was. There was also a lot of fuel on the outside of the carb. The bolt on the left of the fuel tank was a little loose and the fuel tank could move a little.
Also, the headlight doesn't turn on, but the all the other lights can come on. Any suggestions?? Thanks for any help
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Pierce.

First thing is don`t try to start the bike if gas is leaking all over the engine.

Give us a little background friend.
Model year and mileage on the bike?
How long have you been riding it? (Is it just new-to-you lately, or do you have some experience?)
How many miles have you ridden it?

An uncapped hose back by the battery sounds like a fuel return line on the emmissions control crap, which I don`t have on my bike. Can you see and describe where it came unplugged from?

How much gas is in the tank?
The Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome is a possibility.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572

If the clicking noise is coming from under the right side cover it is probably the starter relay/solenoid.
Your battery voltage is probably low. Check it with a digital voltmeter.
If it is not at least 12.5 vdc, charge the battery with a 1.5 to 2 amp charger.
You can boost the battery with any 12 v car battery as well. Just shut the car engine off prior to jumpering the bike battery.
But fix the fuel leak first.

Do you have a conventional wet cell battery with 6 caps on top that you have to add distilled water to?

If so, change out to a MF-AGM asap. This is a good one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

Installing a set of NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 plugs, along with the MF battery, has been known to cure many hard starting problems.

The loose tank mounting bolt should be tightened up, but I don`t think it has anything to do with the problem at hand.

wib is right, the headlight doesn`t come on with the key, only after the engine starts. It does keep burning until the key is turned off though.

Post back with some answers and we will work from there.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-27-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add poogs link

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

The bike is a 97, it has 12,000 miles on it. I personally just got the bike and have put about 180 miles on it. The tank was about 3/4 full, but its down to about 1/3 of a tank now. I'll check for the phantom out of gas syndrome tomorrow morning, but the clicking was coming from the right side behind the cover, so its a good possibility it is the starter relay. As far as the hose goes, I cannot see where it is suppose to connect to at all, and can't really see where it starts either. Appreciate all the help
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

deleted

1988 VN750[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by FlacoLove; 03-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Worked on the bike the past week and have a few updates and an unresolved hose:

-First, I was able to charge the battery and get the engine to turnover, although, the battery is pretty new so not sure why it was low.

-Also, the fuel line running from the tank to the rear carb had a minor hole that was leaking fuel, which i swopped out today.

-I was able to find where the other hose that was free was connected to. It is to the right of the rear carb when looking in from the clutch side of the bike. I believe it may be a vent hose but not sure. As i said before, it is currently running all the way to the battery. It had fuel leaking from it as well. Its a long, thin hose.

Now the bike runs when i have it on the 'fuel res' setting, however, when i adjust it to just fuel 'on' the bike sputters for a min then cuts out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I was able to find where the other hose that was free was connected to. It is to the right of the rear carb when looking in from the clutch side of the bike. I believe it may be a vent hose but not sure. As i said before, it is currently running all the way to the battery. It had fuel leaking from it as well. Its a long, thin hose.
That sounds like the carb float chamber vent hose, and someone routed it out over or around the rear cylinder instead of to the right ear. It should be connected to a tee between the carbs, and if there's fuel coming out of the other end, you've likely got a stuck or sticking float needle. "Long, thin hose" has me puzzled, tho; if it's the vent hose, that's usually about 1/2"-9/16" o.d. (1/4" or 5/16" i.d.), unless it's a clear hose.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok i took some pictures and since I have no clue where this hose goes hopefully, and most likely this will be a fast response from someone a little more knowledgeable on the subject then myself.

In the first picture it is the hose to the right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-12_14-15-31_134.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	3813   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-12_14-15-47_499.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	3814   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-06-12_14-16-13_718.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	3815  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM

I think it is the vent hose, but it's a little different on my carbs, so someone else should confirm it.

I would suggest looking at the petcock as well. From what you said it sounds like it's leaking on the "ON" position. It's easy to check... just take off both fuel lines and do NOT apply vacuum to the vacuum hose... don't try to crank the bike or anything, and just turn the petcock from "res" to "on" there should be no fuel flow at all but be prepared cause if it's not working right, there will be fuel coming out of the two fuel outlets on it.

If you also wanna test if it's working right when vacuum is applied, just suck on the vacuum hose (gently) and there should be a nice stream of gas coming out (again, be ready to catch it with something). As soon as you stop applying vacuum the fuel should stop coming out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
In the first picture it is the hose to the right
And in the second picture, you can see the tee behind the top of the carb; yeah, it's a carb vent hose. The other one is on the shoet leg of the tee. The longer hose with the white connector in it is the leg that goes to the right ear. Looks like it comes up a bit short to make the trip; I'd get another piece long enuff to go from that white connector to the slot in the right ear, or even better, a piece long enuff to go from the tee and eliminate the connector.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
Sponsored Links