Need Advice on Refurbish (big question) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Need Advice on Refurbish (big question)

Hey guys, got a few questions. I recently bought an 88 vn750 as my first bike, and it needs a bit of work.

Here is a list of things that I want or need to do with the bike, I just don't know where to start. So...

Question:

Which of these are the easiest and/or cheapest to do, and which are the most expensive and/or most difficult?

> Replace stock bars with 14" apes. Possibly with internal wiring.
> Replace seat upholstery
(or)
> Replace dual seat with low-profile solo seat
> Replace and/or chop rear fender
> Install larger gas tank (possibly from a larger Vulcan? Don't know if this is possible)
> Repaint fenders and tank (solid black)
> Replace speedometer (or perhaps the entire electronics cluster)
> Replace pipes (nothing fancy, just something with a little more power and a deeper, throatier sound)
> Install highway pegs and new grips

*Assume that everything mechanical is already dealt with and in good working order*

I would very much appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Danke

Last edited by thebeginning; 05-26-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeginning View Post
Hey guys, got a few questions. I recently bought an 88 vn750 as my first bike, and it needs a bit of work.

Here is a list of things that I want or need to do with the bike, I just don't know where to start. So...

Question:

Which of these are the easiest and/or cheapest to do, and which are the most expensive and/or most difficult?

> Replace stock bars with 14" apes. Possibly with internal wiring.
> Replace seat upholstery
(or)
> Replace dual seat with low-profile solo seat
> Replace and/or chop rear fender
> Install larger gas tank (possibly from a larger Vulcan? Don't know if this is possible)
> Repaint fenders and tank (solid black)
> Replace speedometer (or perhaps the entire electronics cluster)
> Replace pipes (nothing fancy, just something with a little more power and a deeper, throatier sound)
> Install highway pegs and new grips

*Assume that everything mechanical is already dealt with and in good working order*

I would very much appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Danke
Within this hallowed cyberspace, there is about 100 threads per item you can search. Start there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Within this hallowed cyberspace, there is about 100 threads per item you can search. Start there.
That's exactly the problem. I've already searched for almost all of those things individually, I'm looking for someone to compare them from a more experienced standpoint. I don't want to waste my time digging deep into one thing to find out that it's past my level, hence why I need someone to tell me which things I should consider tackling first.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Dual Sport idiot

My suggestion would be:

Install highway pegs and new grips - pretty much bolt on
Replace pipes (nothing fancy, just something with a little more power and a deeper, throatier sound) - this can also be a bolt on, not too hard assuming you don't break any studs and you get a set that don't require rejetting the carbs
Replace and/or chop rear fender
Repaint fenders and tank (solid black) - paint is pretty easy, and easy to fix if you screw it up, of course if you're going to chop your fender you don't want to paint first
Replace seat upholstery - this can be cheap and easy
(or)
Replace dual seat with low-profile solo seat - this can require quite a bit of fab work
Replace speedometer (or perhaps the entire electronics cluster) - this can be easy or hard, depends on what you want to put in it's place. Drop a Vapor in there and it's pretty simple but you probably wont like the look. Think brackets, mounting cups, cables, wiring...
Install larger gas tank (possibly from a larger Vulcan? Don't know if this is possible) - cutting, welding, relocating other components

Replace stock bars with 14" apes. Possibly with internal wiring. - not too hard if you can get the longer cables you'll need. Not much work here just money. This one's last simply because I don't like apes.

Ryan

"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead" Thomas Paine

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
2009 Kawasaki KLR650

2005 Audi allroad
1989 Jeep YJ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Town View Post
My suggestion would be:

Install highway pegs and new grips - pretty much bolt on
Replace pipes (nothing fancy, just something with a little more power and a deeper, throatier sound) - this can also be a bolt on, not too hard assuming you don't break any studs and you get a set that don't require rejetting the carbs
Replace and/or chop rear fender
Repaint fenders and tank (solid black) - paint is pretty easy, and easy to fix if you screw it up, of course if you're going to chop your fender you don't want to paint first
Replace seat upholstery - this can be cheap and easy
(or)
Replace dual seat with low-profile solo seat - this can require quite a bit of fab work
Replace speedometer (or perhaps the entire electronics cluster) - this can be easy or hard, depends on what you want to put in it's place. Drop a Vapor in there and it's pretty simple but you probably wont like the look. Think brackets, mounting cups, cables, wiring...
Install larger gas tank (possibly from a larger Vulcan? Don't know if this is possible) - cutting, welding, relocating other components

Replace stock bars with 14" apes. Possibly with internal wiring. - not too hard if you can get the longer cables you'll need. Not much work here just money. This one's last simply because I don't like apes.

Ryan

Great, thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

More gas:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17254

Aftermarket pipes won`t require rejetting.
Only an earshave and putting pod filters directly on the carbs will lean the fuel mixture out to where rejetting is necessary.

jr`s earshave link:
http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/Ear_Removal.htm

Phils earshave link:
http://06vn750.blogspot.com/

Link to Chad/Ccspinners mods on his 750. Look around, he builds footboards and brackets for highway pegs.
http://www.chadsbike.com/bikemods.htm

There is a thread here from a year or two ago, of a dash replacement with an electronic speedo, tach, clock, thermometer, temp, oil, coolant, gas gauges etc. Don`t recall the brand.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
More gas:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17254

Aftermarket pipes won`t require rejetting.
Only an earshave and putting pod filters directly on the carbs will lean the fuel mixture out to where rejetting is necessary.

jr`s earshave link:
http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/Ear_Removal.htm

Phils earshave link:
http://06vn750.blogspot.com/

Link to Chad/Ccspinners mods on his 750. Look around, he builds footboards and brackets for highway pegs.
http://www.chadsbike.com/bikemods.htm

There is a thread here from a year or two ago, of a dash replacement with an electronic speedo, tach, clock, thermometer, temp, oil, coolant, gas gauges etc. Don`t recall the brand.

Do some require rejetting (earshave then rejetting), or are they all pretty easy? I'm looking at Jardine Rumblers, but I'm still ignorant when it comes to what's good.

I'll definitely check out those links. I'm hoping to old school bob/chop it out though, so I doubt I'd go with anything too electronic looking.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeginning View Post
Do some require rejetting (earshave then rejetting), or are they all pretty easy? I'm looking at Jardine Rumblers, but I'm still ignorant when it comes to what's good.

I'll definitely check out those links. I'm hoping to old school bob/chop it out though, so I doubt I'd go with anything too electronic looking.
I think any earshave/ pod filter replacement will require rejetting.
Aftermarket pipes are an individual taste thing IMHO.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 AM

Hey, first thing I did to my new 95 vn750 was to drill out the baffles in the stock exhaust. had to reset the air/fuel mixture to cut out the popping but no rejetting needed. Once I find the right aftermarket exhaust, I'll replace it but for now, this is very cheap and does give a better sound and feel to the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement