Recent dirt bikin' saved my a** on Saturday! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool Recent dirt bikin' saved my a** on Saturday!

I had the 1500 out on Saturday and ended up in some heavy traffic, with about 15 or so cars in front of me all heading towards a light about a block ahead. I had about 3 car-lengths in between me and the car I was following. I was in the left lane needing to turn right. I glanced right looking for space to shift over and when I looked back it was brake light city. I hit the brakes and locked em'up and in my earlier days I would probably have hit him dead center. Fortunately, I think my recent dirt biking experiences helped me keep my cool. My friend riding behind me said he saw my tires lock up and release at least 4 times while I managed to redirect my skidding bike around theback left. He said each time I stopped skidding I yanked the bike to the left and hit 'em again. All this was of course in about a second and a half, not time to think, just do.

After I had a chance to think about it I realized that it had felt very much like riding/sliding the dirtbike down a steep hill, on both brakes, trying to keep in control, on the trail and out of the trees. I guess the reason I am posting this happy non-event is to say that very different riding experiences can help make you a better overall rider. If you get used to riding where skidding and losing traction are a normal occurrance you will be less likely to panic when it happens on the pavement.

So get out and play in the dirt!

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
So get out and play in the dirt!
Yep, been there and done that a bunch, too danged old now to take the bruises...lol... Still I must say for myself, and I'll bet others too, we should practice a panic stop every once and again, I know I don't enough anyway... Auto instinct reactions will save your bacon a lot of times...
Glad you came out fine......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Yep, been there and done that a bunch, too danged old now to take the bruises...lol...

I'm 52 and too fat to be doing it, but I am anyway. Most fun I've had since I first learned how to ride. And damned if I don't bleed almost every time I go!

Still I must say for myself, and I'll bet others too, we should practice a panic stop every once and again, I know I don't enough anyway... Auto instinct reactions will save your bacon a lot of times...
Glad you came out fine......
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Agreed, not that I've done it many times. It takes some balls to get up to speed in some parking lot and slam on the brakes, but it sure is good to already know how that feels when it happens the first time for real. Unfortunately I've had to smoke 'em several times before.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM

I had about the same experience with cars. Where I live there are way too many loose dirt roads, so power sliding on the dirt is way too easy... in high school we used to find empty streets to do it on.

When I was actually in a situation that involved my car getting hit by an idiot and losing traction and heading directly towards some house, previous experience kicked in and I just slid a few feet but didn't lose control and didn't hit anything.

I'd love to get a dirt bike and practice on it... there's definitely enough dirt around here to ride on lol. Also some dunes nearby and a few beaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement