Anyone have experience with Honda CB350 twins? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have experience with Honda CB350 twins?

anyone have any info about the dowl seal that goes between the head and cylinder of a 1972 CB350? since finishing my VN750 bobber ive been working on a CB350 cafe racer. the dowl seal are a giant mystery tho, manual says they r required but no part diagrams show them and i dont remember seeing any when i disassembled it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by board917 View Post
anyone have any info about the dowl seal that goes between the head and cylinder of a 1972 CB350? since finishing my VN750 bobber ive been working on a CB350 cafe racer. the dowl seal are a giant mystery tho, manual says they r required but no part diagrams show them and i dont remember seeing any when i disassembled it.
What manual are you using, and what page is it on? Reason I ask, I've got a factory manual in front of me right now, and I don't see any mention of a dowel seal, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I've got a '70 CL350, and a '73 CB350, mine and my brother's first bikes from way back when; both mine now, and both awaiting restoration---or a two-into-one mini metric chopper build...

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Clymer manual pg.72 under "caution"
mine is a 72'

DONT chopper or bob a CB350!!! its not the right geometry. Its a 100% cafe bike! they r gettin expensive. If they r in good shape u can prob easily pull $1500 for both or more. Then buy an yamaha XS650 to chop or bob.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Clymer manual pg.72 under "caution"
mine is a 72'
Thanks; I'll check it out when I get around to looking for where I stuck my Clymer's for those bikes...

Quote:
DONT chopper or bob a CB350!!! its not the right geometry. Its a 100% cafe bike! they r gettin expensive. If they r in good shape u can prob easily pull $1500 for both or more. Then buy an yamaha XS650 to chop or bob.
They're both locked up basket cases, and excuse me, but they're also 100% mine; I'll damn well do what I want with them when I do decide.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I had a neighbor with a couple '74 CB360 that we fiddled with some years ago. Believe the dowel seal may simple be an O-ring that goes around the indexing pins or "dowels" sealing up the joint between the two for oil passage.

My TW200 has the same arrangement, for whatever that's worth.

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssdncr View Post
I had a neighbor with a couple '74 CB360 that we fiddled with some years ago. Believe the dowel seal may simple be an O-ring that goes around the indexing pins or "dowels" sealing up the joint between the two for oil passage.

I understand the idea of it but the rebuild kit didnt come with anything that looks like it would fit and i dont remember seeing any seals when i took it apart. The rebuild kit also came with valve stem seal but turns out the early CBs didnt use valve stem seals, u can see where the confusion is building.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssdncr View Post

That could well be. I don't recall them on the last CB350 I had apart, but that was 30+ years ago. IIRC, that manual covers the 250 and 350 twins; the seal(s) _might_ be specific to one, and not the other. Also, if they do require a seal/o-ring, I'd think there would be a groove or recess around the dowel for it to seat in. Dunno without taking one apart again, and it'll be quite a while before I get around to working on mine.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
That could well be. I don't recall them on the last CB350 I had apart, but that was 30+ years ago. IIRC, that manual covers the 250 and 350 twins; the seal(s) _might_ be specific to one, and not the other. Also, if they do require a seal/o-ring, I'd think there would be a groove or recess around the dowel for it to seat in. Dunno without taking one apart again, and it'll be quite a while before I get around to working on mine.
there is no recess for a seal to sit down into, and the hole in the head gasket for the dowel is just big enough for the dowel to fit through. Is seems that if any seal was put on there then it would sit on top of the gasket and cause a gap between the head and the cylinder. even if the gasket hole was larger, the seal would have to be about the same thickness as the head gasket so everything would sit flush. I dont see why the head gasket wouldnt seal the dowel... it goes all the way around it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
there is no recess for a seal to sit down into, and the hole in the head gasket for the dowel is just big enough for the dowel to fit through. Is seems that if any seal was put on there then it would sit on top of the gasket and cause a gap between the head and the cylinder. even if the gasket hole was larger, the seal would have to be about the same thickness as the head gasket so everything would sit flush. I dont see why the head gasket wouldnt seal the dowel... it goes all the way around it.
I wouldn't worry about it, then. FWIW, I've seen quite a bit in other than factory manuals for motorcycles, especially Haynes, that has had me scratching my head for awhile wondering what the heck they're talking about. Hasn't happened with Clymer's as often, but it has happened.

Lemme know if you want a copy of the Honda manual; I've got it in *.pdf. I've got two of the Clymer manuals in hardcopy, and can't find either one right now; go figger...

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

im just gonna put some super tack around the area and if it leaks then ill have to keep researching. That cam is a pain to remove tho so id rather not have to take it out again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement