I ****ing hate this bike. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

I ****ing hate this bike.

Many of you read my story about the mechanic who had my bike for 3 weeks and did nothing. I said I was going to do the work myself.

So after doing EVERYTHING right, sinking hundreds of dollars into the bike, meticulously rebuilding the carburetor, I go to reinstall it today and the carburetor is stuck between the cylinders. I kicked it out of frustration and broke the air cut off valve cap on the right side. Why did the Japanese make the area so small? I want to roll the bike 40 miles back to the guy's house I bought it from and blow it up his lawn.

I'm contemplating selling it and taking a huge loss. Any takers? It's relatively mint, but I'm so frustrated and I've just about had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Sucks man. Just push it all to the side for a few weeks. All the little details sink in after a few days because you'll be subconsciously thinking about it. Next time you touch it, itll be your bitch.

If you can afford to take a huge loss, buy a cheap beatercycle and tinker with the VN here and there. You'll recover much more if its running and out of your frustration will inevitably screw yourself more.

Also, make no mistake. Those carbs are the biggest pain in the ass I have ever seen on anything mechanical that I have worked on. If you are able to get them back in there, youve done more than most. I even took the sissy route and ripped all the ears and airboxes off.

Hang in there.

(edit)
Hopefully some more encouragement. I have found that knowing the ins and outs of my vehicles, and getting pissed off while fighting some problem really helps them last longer. You become more in tune with every sound, sputter, squeak, and squeal. Understanding how these things (cars included) work also makes you a better driver because you can think at a more fundamental level when making quick, subconscious decisions. My 95 ford pickup has 285k on the original motor and the air still blows arctic cold air. I have tangled with that beast many a weekend and thrown a wrench or two off in the woods.
(/edit)

1995 VN750 - 10K

Last edited by bigbluezuk; 05-11-2011 at 09:44 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm so defeated. I've spent days working on this project and picking up parts, countless weeks thinking about it, and I can't get the carb where it's supposed to go. It's immensely frustrating. I'm sure I'll get it in the near future but I'll surely remain obsessed and unable to focus on anything else until I finish.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Where in New York are you? I am no expert, but am great at working my way through problems, and I find it is much easier if I got someone else's eyes looking at things too.

If you aren't far maybe I could ride up one day and give you some moral support.

Also, not sure what the air cutoff valve cap is, but if you mean the reed valve cover, I got two of those from when I did my Coastering I can send your way if you need em.

Last edited by KidChaos; 05-11-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Addition
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM

did you read in the manual were you have to remove the rear boot and attache to rear carb while leaving forward boot attached to cylinder? I just did mine it is a pain just make sure your clamps stay on top. If you did not read it here is what it says (i wont make you look it up) the rear boot must be installed with the angle facing down and tighten to carb. then insert carb through the right side and place boot onto the rear head then apply downward forward for to seat the front carb into boot that was left on the head. hope this helps

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidChaos View Post
Where in New York are you? I am no expert, but am great at working my way through problems, and I find it is much easier if I got someone else's eyes looking at things too.

If you aren't far maybe I could ride up one day and give you some moral support.

Also, not sure what the air cutoff valve cap is, but if you mean the reed valve cover, I got two of those from when I did my Coastering I can send your way if you need em.
I'm 45 minutes east of NYC on Long Island. I have to get through finals but if I don't get this done in a week or so I'd consider taking you up on that offer.

hzhardy, yes, I've read the manual. Actually, I've done this before and didn't run into problems of this magnitude.

The broken air cut off valve cap is a name I made up for the piece on the left side of the left carb and right side of the right carb. Inside is the coasting enrichener diaphragm, I think.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
I sure remember the struggle Vulcanpower. Everyone here can relate.
After I finally got the damn things back on, I was reading the forum. Someone mentioned lubricating the rubber boots to slip them on easier. I think that would have helped me a great deal. I did not think of it in my frustration at the time.

Good luck ...

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Man, I feel your pain! This bike is like having a stripper for a girlfriend. You hate it when YOUR not on her. You know she's complicated and hard to manage, high maintenance and pisses you off to no end. BUT when your on her it feels so dang good! I'm still sellin' mine and soon LOL.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:34 PM

hang in there bud. I take everything to a mechanic, well use to. until I bought the clymer repair book. I read it every night. I learned how to do fix a lot of things and saved some good money. I have the worse temper when I am trying to do something and it just doesn't work the first second or third time. I have learned a little patience is all that is needed.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

I was able to get the carburetor out from it's "stuck" spot by disassembling it INSIDE the bike. If anyone thinks they've had had frustrations with this bike, I suggest they try this and then tell me.

I'll post pictures/videos once it's all rebuilt. If it's all rebuilt. I'm still deciding whether or not I'm going to sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement