Any feedback on "vented" goggles? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Any feedback on "vented" goggles?

I find that even just wearing motorcycle goggles, I don't feel the "freedom" of the ride; likely because the fog in my goggles makes me feel somewhat disconnected from the "balls out" aspect of the ride.
I saw these on eBay. Has anyone tried something like this???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Choppers-Vented-...17021445035770

-Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I guess they would work. I wore Scott MX goggles for years and they never fogged up.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have worn clear and tinted lens safety glasses to ride with. Just make sure they are ANSI safety rated and you will be fine. They help much with the direct wind in eyes, plus offer adequate impact protection for your eyes, but still allow the feel of the open road.

I have many different pairs, ordered them through work since I work in a lab full-time and also am on the technical rescues squad. My favorite pair is actually a standard pair from a brand I can't even remember at the moment. Perhaps Uvex.

OCC makes a pretty good pair, but they are pricey.

Stay away from Smith & Wesson shooting glasses. They provide adequate impact protection, but the lens material scratches/scars rather easily. Mine look like they have been rubbed down with steel wool.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned

Those are nice. I think I'm going to order a pair of them to wear with my helmet.
I have a full faced helmet, and when I try to wear my sunglasses they fit the sides of my head weird, and I don't like the feel of them.
A pair of goggles would work pretty well as they have straps.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Daily rider

Garage
I have these (top ones), but only paid $25 for them. They've never fogged on me.

I never used to wear goggles, but lately (as of last Summer) I've gotten a lot of tiny gravel and such thrown up in my face, and often into my eyes. I wear glasses, and the flight goggles fit right over them.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM

I got the Global Vision Boss 6-in-1 Kit, as a friend loves his and suggested it to me. It has interchangeable clear, amber, and tinted lenses, plus they can be used as sunglasses or goggles with the swappable temples/strap. http://www.bikoniconline.com/motorcy...in_1_p/158.htm has some more pics of the kit.

As the review states, the lenses can sometimes pop out easily (though my friend and I don't seem to have nearly the trouble that guy does). They pop out toward the back, so it shouldn't ever be an issue while you're wearing them at least. The latches seem to slide easily to a point where they're holding the lens in, but not fully locked, so that might be part of his problem.

You may want to see if you can find these in stock locally to try on first. You may or may not like the way they fit against your eye sockets.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
Those are nice. I think I'm going to order a pair of them to wear with my helmet.
I have a full faced helmet, and when I try to wear my sunglasses they fit the sides of my head weird, and I don't like the feel of them.
A pair of goggles would work pretty well as they have straps.

The problem there is you will have to take your helmet off to remove the shades.

I just wore my helmet while picking out sunglasses until I found a pair that did not fit weird.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

At least I know that if I'm ever lost in the desert dying of thirst I can simply put on goggles and have lots and lots of moisture to consume. I have the same problem with ski goggles despite having "fog free" goggles.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

I bought the goggles and went for a short ride around town.
Pro: They really do vent! For the first time in my life my goggles were not fogged up before I got to the end of the driveway. Very nice. They are also very easy to wear, aren't big on your face etc.
Con: About 55mph the airflow through them is so much my eyes were watering. Probably not good for freeway. Also, they feel inexpensive. The plastic is cheap and not very flexible.

Overall they are worth a try.
-Robert
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 AM

I wear a pair of vented sunglasses and as Robert stated, the eyes take a beating on the highway. nothing like a windshield and a good full face helmet. For around town driving, they are worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement