So why the Vulcan? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wants forward controls...

So why the Vulcan?

Seeing some of these threads on folks looking forward to future bike purchases got me thinking. I'm wondering what made folks on the forum choose to buy the VN750? What sold you on it? Performance? Cosmetics? The name?

I know for me it was cost. Being able to get on a bike for the price I picked mine up for was a no brainer. I've thought several times about moving on to a bigger bike, just because I'm a bigger guy, but it seems crazy to invest so much more money into a bigger bike when I love riding this one so much.

Anyway, what made you choose your VN750?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonabikewv View Post
I know for me it was cost. Being able to get on a bike for the price I picked mine up for was a no brainer.
x2

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

For me it was price for a running bike that I knew I would be able to improve/maintain.

Also having been 6 years since I last rode I thought a 750 would make for a good starter bike, or restarter bike so to speak, but turns out I think its great.

Was only planning on keeping for one season, but now I plan on keeping it forever, probably will get a 2nd bike in a couple years or so, but I absolutely love this one.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM

I picked up my VN700 as a cheap starter bike (MSF class in three weeks!). My buddy had a VN700 already, so I knew that I could get some assistance from him if I ran into any issues with it. I had been watching Craigslist for bikes similar to what I was wanting, and this VN700 just worked out for me.

My buddy moved up to a Meanie this year and sold the VN700 to another friend. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my VN700, but I'll probably have it for a while unless it meets some horrible death or I decide that I absolutely need a new bike for some reason.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

I was actually looking for a Shadow 1100. The Vulcan I bought was owned by the mother of a friend of I guy I know at work..... The story goes that she got the bike as a present from her uncle after she got her license. She dropped the bike in a parking lot and I guess it scared her. Anyway, the guy I know was going to get the bike from his friend (who's mom owns it) for cheap. But once he found out it wasn't a crotch rocket, he didn't want it anymore. He was telling me the story one day at work and I half joking said, "I'll take it." The rest is, as they say, history.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:34 PM

It does have a lot of things newer bikes don't.
Centerstand
Tach/Speedo on handlebars where you can see them
Tubeless Aluminum Wheels
Shaft Drive
Hydraulic Valve Adjusters
Basic Design

Most bikes nowadays don't have those features. You won't find a centerstand on pretty much anything. No tachs. Spoke wheels. Chain drive. etc.

Plus, newer cruisers all look exactly the same. They don't have much ground clearance, so they scrape the pegs easily, and have a lot of useless 'bling' type features that don't do anything useful. They are all made to look like the exact same styled Harley.

If I were going to invest serious money into a motorcycle, it would be something like Knifemaker has... a Yamaha FJ, or something with a more upright seating position and a LOT more power! 2nd choice just for blasting around would probably be a Yamaha V-Max. New style, blinged out copycat cruiser??? No Thanks!

The Vulcan is a great, feature ridden, low maintenance, cost effective bike to ride around town. I put saddlebags and a $69 piece of luggage on the rear rack, and I can haul all kinds of stuff on the thing. Taking it to the store is no problem! Heck, a full face helmet and jacket will fit in the rear luggage pack, alone! (vinyl luggage sits on an aluminum plate with U-bolts tieing it all together. It has a strap that goes around the sissy bar, and it's all very solid.

This is the luggage. I don't use the round part.
http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Sa...ck/188193.html

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

I took the bags off the bike and went with the Saddlemen BR1800: Fits on the passenger seat.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
price at the time,It was good for what it was a midweight cruiser with a lot of spunk,but if I am going to ride a cruiser,i wanted one i could haul all my stuff on with out being crowded. I miss the centerstand and the cast wheels,but i am getting ready to remedy that with a set of bubf wheels,this winter,since this is the only bike I ever owned with a centerstand that I didn't take off, I have lived without that for years,the bigger vulcans also have self adjusting valve adjusters.

I would like to have mine back as a second bike just to rip around on,but for traveling the 1500 is a much more comfy ride.Add to the package ,I just like a big old motorcycle with factory floorboards and the Old school looks,that some don't.I wouldn't trade back,but thats what makes the world what it is we all like different things.PS,I also got the 1500 dirt cheap too,Size matters,LOL Price too!!!!

I guess that let the cat out of the bag about what I was wanting to chrome this winter,if you have been paying attention

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM

When I was looking to buy a bike I narrowed it down to a 2010 Dinamo 250 (chinese cruiser type POS) and the Vulcan. I was thinking that the Dinamo is chinese crap, but at least it was new, so it should hold together for a while. The Vulcan was definitely a better bike but it was old (85). In the end I called the guy and got him down to $700 so I just got the Vulcan. I didn't really know anything about bikes, so I was lucky I got such a nice bike for my first bike It isn't in perfect condition but I can ride it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I lucked into mine. I knew I wanted an older mid sized V-twin cruiser for learning on. I`ve had a mc licence since I was 14, but only bought my first mc at age 55. My next door neighbor is a lifelong motocrosser and now rides a 950 sportbike too. Jerry told me to look for a 20 year old Honda Shadow. Said I should be able to find one for $2500, ride it for a year or two,and sell it again for close to the same price if I wanted a bigger bike.

I test rode an old Honda CB750 and a Suzi Marauder 800, but did not like either one. Rode a friend`s 1100 Shadow and liked it, lots of power and feels more "substantial" at 80+ mph than my vn750 does, but it is not for sale.

Found the Vulcan on Kijiji at 8:30 am, the first time I ever looked at the site. It was 3 miles away and the guy rode it home for lunch so I could test ride it. By 2:30 pm it was registered and insured in my name. It has lots of power even to haul my #300 pounds around, but I do need to put highway pegs on so I can stretch out my 5' 11" frame a bit.

Some others say it looks dated, but I like the look. I like the seatback for taking my grandkids riding, or for tying a backpack on to carry stuff to work.

I really did not do any research before buying, had never heard of or seen a vn750 prior to buying mine. As I say, I just basicly lucked into buying the best used mid sized cruiser out there. It will probably be the only mc I ever own.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement