Took a spill this afternoon. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Took a spill this afternoon.

Well, after picking the bike up from the dealer yesterday evening it finally quit raining so I decided to take a quick ride to town. I rode the 12 miles of 65 mph highway to town, and the bike ran wonderful I was a happy Vulcan owner.

Once I got into town and down to 25 mph I felt the bike have an unusual drag so I backed off the throttle and bam I hit the ground. I had on all my gear so I only ended up with a sore and scuffed knee.

It appears the right front caliper locked up against the rotor and locked the front wheel throwing me to the left and to the ground. Bike took some scuffs but does not look too bad. Shattered my windshield and I will have to find a replacement, broke the left side air cleaner cover.

After I collected my thoughts and got the bike back to the wheels the brake was still locked solid so I opened the bleeder screw to bleed off pressure and it released.

I was able ride the bike back home very cautiously.

I should count my blessings that I had my gear on and this happened a 25 and not 65.

Well if anyone has idea's on where to get the windshield, and the air cleaner cover I would appreciate it.

I also noticed with the front wheel pointed dead on strait the bars are turned slightly left.The bars do not appear to be bent, it looks like the whole assembly is turned towards the left.
Is this something I should be able to fix?

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Wow, bad luck on the brakes locking up. Glad you were not badly injured.
Find out why that happened and fix it before riding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85GT View Post
Well if anyone has idea's on where to get the windshield, and the air cleaner cover I would appreciate it.

I also noticed with the front wheel pointed dead on strait the bars are turned slightly left.The bars do not appear to be bent, it looks like the whole assembly is turned towards the left.
Is this something I should be able to fix?
Bob
Put a WTB notice in the Swap and Sell forum for the filter cover and identify what windshield you are looking for.
Ebay usually has quite a few of both items to choose from. (BTW when shopping, left and right filter covers are identical).

The fork tubes are just twisted/turned in the fork clamps. I had the same situation after my accident in`08.

Put the bike on the centerstand, get someone to sit on the bike and lean back to raise the front tire off the ground.
Put a block and a piece of wood under the engine to keep the front tire up.

Loosen the four head clamp pinch bolts, and while your helper holds the handlebars, you grab the fork tubes and twist them back until everything looks straight and true.

Clymer manual calls the pinch bolts "Fork Bridge Bolts".
Torque the upper bolts to 14.5 ft-lb
Torque the lower bolts to 18 ft-lb

Take test ride to determine if bars and forks are straight.
Repeat adjustment if neccesary.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-30-2011 at 05:46 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Git-R-Done!

Glad to hear that - for the most part - you are ok. You say you just picked the bike up from the dealer - does that mean you bought ot from them, or that they serviced it? In either case, it sounds like you might have some recourse against them eh?

Perhaps I am not understanding completely...

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to RaisingCain
If you bent the upper tree let me know! I have one! Free + shipping!

Mike "CoolMan" Cain

'96 750 "Able"
New Handlebars
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn levers
Kuryakyn offset highway pegs
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Bag stays
Cheap soft bags
Ear shave
Coastered
MF Battery w/ tender
R/R
12V Outlet
Tank Bag
Sport Style tinted windshield
V&H Cruisers
Luggage Rack

To Do List:
New Tires next year
Hid lights
Front Brakes
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Years ago I had an 86 Yamaha Maxim with the same problem - From caliper locking up. Fortunately for me I noticed it and got a discount - bought the bike from an ad in the paper. Rode home extremely carefully after bleeding the caliper just like you did. I was even less experienced at turning a wrench at that time than I am now. Long story short, after trying to rebuild the caliper myself, and failing, I took the caliper to a bike shop, had it rebuilt, and then reinstalled and lines bled. Worked perfect after that. I do remember trying some other things, not exactly sure what they were, but until I had the caliper serviced the problem remained.

Hope this story that makes little sense can at least help a little.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Fire Axe Man

i have the air cleaner covers free plus shipping, but have basicly new k and n filters for them as well 25 plus shipping if interested... did an ear shave now so there just layin around...

Just can't leave well enough alone...

86 vn750
Ears Shaved
Custom Exhaust
Custom Seat
Hardtail 3 1/2" drop rear
Custom turn signals
15" apes
Custom grips
Custom forward controls
Custom paint
many more mods to come
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I went out to survey the damage closely and my pride is what is hurt the most.

Mike23Impala, I could really use at least one of the covers. (Just bought new filters yesterday) Can paypal you shipping $ or send you out the$ just PM me your details.

I managed to straighten out the front end, nothing looks bent.

BTW, I just had it serviced and the carbs rebuilt, dealer had nothing to do with this. I had this happen once before and changed out the brake fluid and cleaned everything up and it had been behaving. Guess I better replace that caliper.

I really appreciate the parts offers, what a great bunch of folks on here!!!

I will post up a WTB with what I need.

Thanks,

Bob
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 PM

no one seem to be saying this.. but if you picked it up from the dealer and this happened...then I would be kicking the dealer square in the nuts!.. it should have been fully checked out before it left his so called shop!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85GT View Post
Thanks guys. I went out to survey the damage closely and my pride is what is hurt the most.

Mike23Impala, I could really use at least one of the covers. (Just bought new filters yesterday) Can paypal you shipping $ or send you out the$ just PM me your details.

I managed to straighten out the front end, nothing looks bent.

BTW, I just had it serviced and the carbs rebuilt, dealer had nothing to do with this. I had this happen once before and changed out the brake fluid and cleaned everything up and it had been behaving. Guess I better replace that caliper.

I really appreciate the parts offers, what a great bunch of folks on here!!!

I will post up a WTB with what I need.

Thanks,

Bob
I had this same problem even after cleaning ang rebuilding one caliper (minus the spill) I would notice it pulling harder and the brake lever would be almost solid,I kept bleeding it, I carried a wrench in my pocket for a month and it eventually quit doing it. There must be some moisture in the system and as it heats up it expands and causes the problem was my guess.
If you haven't ,I would clean and rebuild both calipers and flush the system from an unopened bottle of brake fluid.JMO

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
no one seem to be saying this.. but if you picked it up from the dealer and this happened...then I would be kicking the dealer square in the nuts!.. it should have been fully checked out before it left his so called shop!

I just had it in to get it running good, so they didn't have any reason to check into the brake systems. My fault I should have had them go through those too when it was there.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement