Quick Tubeless Tire Repair--- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quick Tubeless Tire Repair---

Something I picked up cheap near a year ago that seems good, is this 12V Slime Top Off tire inflator...
http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html
It is only for 50 psi, but that is plenty for our tires, also at china-mart it was only $9.94, so that and a good tubeless tire repair kit should be say $15 bucks, and maybe get you home in a bad situation... I have used it a couple of times to top off on the bike just to make sure it is workin and it has done great... I have always mounted a cigar lighter recepticle on my bikes for that and my cell phone, netbook, GPS, and trickle charger etc. ...
I even mounted a cigar lighter recepticle on my mower for the trickle charger...lol...
I love these tubeless tires on everything except my zero turn lawn mower that I only run 6 psi in the rear and 12 psi in the front...lol...
The little compact compressor is just something that I thought might be worth mentioning since it is small, light wt., and very easy to store in most any bag ... Check it out and if you have a negative or positive review let us know...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:16 AM

ride-on tire sealer is better than hauling a tire inflator around.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
I guess I started out too early with the tire sealants and got burned by ruining too much stuff (Rims/wheels etc.) so I just put air in mine anymore...lol... And when I need to have a new tire installed and the shop asks, do you have any $hit in it, I can say just air... Although the same happened with Syn. (bean) oils, I remember when so many 2 stroke bikes were blown with Syn. oil., which I think is great now... So there are several options, and the inflator is just another cheap & handy one IMHO... BTW-It is very light & compact as is the tubless tire repair kit...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Even with Ride On your tires lose air. Also when you do get a puncture, you can still lose some pressure before the sealant takes hold.

Around town I usually do not carry my pump and repair kit, but on any lengthy trip it comes along...even if just to help out another biker. (which is has done more , because I have yet to have a flat on a motorcycle in my 40 years riding..knock on wood.)

I carry the "sticky string" type repair kit..under 10 bucks at Wally World.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
Something I picked up cheap near a year ago that seems good, is this 12V Slime Top Off tire inflator...
Thanks for the tip OD.
I recently bought two bottles of Ride-On tire sealant and balancer. Just before I was going to put it in, I asked my buddy whose cousin is a Harley mechanic to ask him about it. He said it was crap. Then I looked in to it a little deeper on the net. Seems the biggest complaints are that after a year, the sealant sometimes turns to a crusty mess that has to be removed (with difficulty) at the next tire change. Or; the sealant fowled the stem. OR; the sealant interfered with rubber adhesion for a required sticky rope repair. There were also some complaints that in some instances, the inside surface of aluminum alloy wheels were pitted. One other annoyance was a lack of customer service.
I guess after that, I was a little gun shy, and I still have not put it in my tires. I have decided to go with the sticky rope repair kit and a mini-compressor like you have recommended here.

Thanks again OD,

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Ride-On Sealant review by Daniel Meyer, author of the "Life Is a Road" series:
http://lifeisaroad.com/forum/index.p...sg2738#msg2738

STOP&GO Mushroom Head plugger kits and inflation devices:
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Even with Ride On your tires lose air. Also when you do get a puncture, you can still lose some pressure before the sealant takes hold.

Around town I usually do not carry my pump and repair kit, but on any lengthy trip it comes along...even if just to help out another biker. (which is has done more , because I have yet to have a flat on a motorcycle in my 40 years riding..knock on wood.)

I carry the "sticky string" type repair kit..under 10 bucks at Wally World.

KM
X2... always have back up!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've had Ride On in both tires for about two years. After 15,000 miles, I replaced the rear. The Ride On was just in the tire, not on the rim, and there was no pitting or excess that messed up anything. The Ride On rinsed right off with a water hose.

I suspect your friend confused Ride On with Slime or some other product, or used more than the recommended amount of Ride On. That, or he's repeating what he's heard from others and has no personal experience. BTW, if you're still afraid to use the Ride On, I'll buy it.

At a discount of course.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCraggRatt View Post
Thanks for the tip OD.
I recently bought two bottles of Ride-On tire sealant and balancer. Just before I was going to put it in, I asked my buddy whose cousin is a Harley mechanic to ask him about it. He said it was crap.
Why does that not surprise me?

I do know of a few reports of problems with the stuff. From what I gathered the problems seemed to be caused by water that got in the tire and mixed with the Ride On...making it less effective, causing corrosion on some wheels.

Compressed air usually contains moisture. Most larger compressors should have water traps...but some don't or some do not work. Two years of topping off your air at gas stations can introduce water into the tire... so my thinking is this is what happened.

When I got my tire installed, the guy said it did take a several minutes to clean off the wheel, but it was not that bad compared to other stuff he has seem. The "fix a flat" stuff being the worst. Slime taking alot longer...The extra time to clean off the wheel of course can be seen as a pain to many mechanics..many do not even clean the wheel off when nothing is used...

You need to clean off the rim no matter what, so some just are lazy or just bitch about it. If it takes the guy a few more minutes to do , I'll tip him a few bucks and all is well....the added security of having Ride On in there in the first place nullifies any complaints in my book....

Do not know how many times I have read here about some wrench saying something that is completely opposite of our collective knowledge. Many wrenches are full of crap it seems, but there are some that do know their stuff.

Most folks here reccomend Ride On as well as stuff like Seafoam, and Rotella oil...these have all passed the test of the folks that actually use the stuff daily and have for some time...so I would tend to follow that before believing one opinion or a few internet reports. You always hear the bad about things and rarely the good. How many riders made it home because Ride On sealed that hole in their tire?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-01-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement