A newbie indeed: in over my head with a used Vulcan - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

A newbie indeed: in over my head with a used Vulcan

Hi forum,

What a huge resource this place is. I'm really glad to have found it but figured I'd start a thread to address a few issues I couldn't find answers to.

Ok, so: this 2000 VN750 was left out way too much. Many of the bolts are stuck or rusted but manageable. One, the final drive gear oil fill cap will not come off. It is so stuck that even with the right wrench it began stripping.

Does anyone have a magic solution beyond WD-40 and hope? I've read about using a propane torch to heat it loose but haven't tried. I actually managed to fill the gear oil from the drain cap, keeping an eye on the mL mark on the bottle to get an approximate 150mL but this is, obviously, an inexact science.

Bigger issue: fuel leaking from the carburetor from what I assume to be the overflows. Circular brass colored rings. Doing some basic research it seems likely that the floats may be stuck, and I am reluctant to take the carbs out and do a total cleaning because I'm terrified of screwing it up (my previous bike was a Suzuki GN125...) I have a can of seafoam and some time, so I was wondering what options I have while the carbs are still on the bike.

Last question: recently, after inspecting the spark plugs and replacing one that was corroded, as well as messing around with the carbs and spilling a good amount of gasoline on myself, the bike stopped starting. Listening, the engine doesn't turn over and I'm inclined to believe the battery is dead: only thing is it's a brand new battery on a brand new charge and I really haven't been giving it a lot of use as I go over and do basic maintenance.

When I push the starter I can hear a slight hiss that gradually goes away. It sounds like it's coming from the carbs but I can't be sure. Priming with fuel? Grim omens of a life without a motorcycle? I'd love to know.

Thanks very much in advance for any help with these questions, and as I'm sure there will be more down the road, I'm very glad to have found this forum.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

well, you are no longer in over your head! this is the place to be! these pep's on here know everything there is to know about Vulcan 750's and then some! I bet they could teach ma Kaw a thing or two.
the hard part (finding this forum) is over! you are in good hands now!

oh, by the way, welcome to the Madness!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Welcome to the Forum drizdan (WoW?)

If the bike has been left outside enough to be noticably affected, I would consider all the exposed electrical connections as suspect. I would clean and check all batt(-) to ground connections (frame and motor). I would also follow the fat red wire from batt(+) all the way to the starter in the front of the bike, cleaning all connections along the way. She might even turn over after you have done this zero cost maintenence step.

As far as a gas leak ... not sure seafoam is gonna' help you there. But if your floats are stuck, there could be fuel collecting in your oil. Remove the oil filler cap, and take a sniff. You should have no smell of gasoline.

Good hunting ...

P.S. - There is no fuel pump on the VN750, so ... the hiss is not priming fuel. Have your battery load tested for free at your local auto parts store if you suspect it is not up to the task.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 04-29-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: P.S.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far.

I should have mentioned that the bike used to run fine, but somewhere in the carburetor/spark plug/overflow fiasco it stopped starting up.

I went ahead and drained the float bowls of gasoline and then filled up with a gasoline/seafoam mixture, opened the drain screw and ran gas through until I was happy that the seafoam mixture was in the carbs. Then the sun went down so I'm going to let it sit overnight and then see what I can do.

Also zcragratt: nope, not a WoW person but I do enjoy a game of starcraft from time to time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
Trade the WD-40 for PB Blaster as a penetrating oil on the 27 mm filler plug on the final drive.

If you are using a 12 point wrench or socket that is stripping the corners off the plug head, switch to a 6 point.
(Maybe even a large adjustable *Crescent* wrench would be better than a 12 point wrench.)

There is another oil fill hole with a 6 mm Allen head on the final drive at 2 O`clock on the circumference.

Check the voltage of the battery. Charge it if needed before trying to start again.

X2 to checking/tightening all electrical connections, grounds and using dielectric grease to seal them from future corrosion.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Wow, there is another way to fill it up. Haha, great thank you, I can't believe I missed that.

Checking the electrics, what am I looking for in terms of what's going wrong? Only trouble so far has been the left front blinker lighting but not blinking, but I figured it was just a bulb thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement