Is this a good deal? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good deal?

I signed up on the forum last week and have been researching info on vn750's. There is a bike I'm considering and would like some input from the experienced owners. It's a 2001, garaged and stock I think exept for a windshield. The bike only has 4600 miles and can be bought for $2200. I've only seen pictures but it looks good from what I can tell. It's a couple of hours drive away, is it worth it?
What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
It is worth it if it runs. You need to check the charging system out and make sure the bike starts and runs without problems.

Bikes with low mileage are nice but it says to me the owner did not ride it alot,and it might have sat around for along time....which is bad for carbs, batteries and even tires.

Someone here has a check list of what to look for or at when buying a used bike, hopefully they will show up and post it.

But do check the tires for cracks , flat spots .. if they are the original tires it might be a good idea to replace them anyway.

If the bike starts easily, and re starts easily after it heats up, the throttle revs smoothly and no weird noises occour...the motor is likely sound along with the carbs being OK.

Ask if they ever lubed the drive splines....but do check the charging system with a voltmeter after the bike has been run.

If they won't let you are some qualified freind ride the bike....not sure I'd buy it. But that is me. There are alot of bikes taken care of very well , you just have to look deeper than how clean it is.......

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds like a fair price if Knifemakers suggestions check out OK. Hope it works out. Oh, welcome to the forum too!
Bronson.

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
It sounds like a fair price if Knifemakers suggestions check out OK. Hope it works out. Oh, welcome to the forum too!
Bronson.
I feel the about same, but I'd be a bit happier if it was a bit cheaper, say $2k...
Here is the way to check the age or born on date of the tires...
If you look closely you will find a four-digit number stamped into the sidewall of your tire. It will read something like 4408 or 2101. What do these numbers mean? Well, a 4408 means the tire was manufactured during the 44th week of 2008. 2101 means the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2001. Years prior to 2000 have a one-digit number to reflect the year, and after 2000, a two-digit number is used. This is a simple and easy way to figure out the age of a tire.
I think most people would replace the tires if they were 5 yrs. old or older, even if they looked good...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM

sounds like a good price. My only concern is driving a couple hours there and back. Isay that's my concern because i too drove hours and hours to look at something to buy. I showed up and they couldnt even start it and then I find a list of things wrong. I would ask a friend that knows mechanical aspects of motorcycles to come with and set up a time with buyer and just ask the seller if the bike needs anything, you could even tell him you are bringing a motorcycle mechanic to look at it with you.. check the fluids, that will usually tell you if the owner took care of it. just my suggestion

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

The owner has serviced the fluids and has changed the air filters.
Looks to have Bridgestone tires, is that what they come with new?
I'll ask about the spline lube. Is it likely to be a problem at 4600 miles?
What is the reason for checking the charging system on a low milage bike, is it to check battery function?
The drive to see it is an issue with gas prices what they are, thanks to you guys I hope to learn what questions to ask the seller before making that drive.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Cool Is It a Good Deal?

I think it sounds pretty good, but you usually can buy a little cheaper than the asking price. When I go to look at something that I intend to buy if things look good I always take cash. After you have looked it over and if you are satisfied just say I"ll give you $2000.00 cash right now. Remember you can always go up but it is hard to go down after you make an offer. Cash right now is hard to turn down with in reason of course and if it doesn't work you can put the money back in the bank.

Good Luck

Enjoy the Ride

Mcneuby
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

hi k9sarky, i noticed your in western ky, i live in Owensboro, if im any closer to the bike, i'll be happy to go look at it for you.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9sarky View Post
The owner has serviced the fluids and has changed the air filters.
Looks to have Bridgestone tires, is that what they come with new?
I'll ask about the spline lube. Is it likely to be a problem at 4600 miles?
What is the reason for checking the charging system on a low milage bike, is it to check battery function?
The drive to see it is an issue with gas prices what they are, thanks to you guys I hope to learn what questions to ask the seller before making that drive.
The Bridgestones probably are OEM tires. Check the date code on the sidewall:
http://blog.unsafemotorcycles.com/20...e-matters.html
As per the link above, if the tires are more than 5 or 6 six years old, don`t ride on them at highway speeds at all, or more than just a short test ride at lower speeds.

Check inflation pressure before riding. Recommended pressure 28 psi front, 32 psi rear.

If needed, new tires will cost from $200-400 installed, depending on what tires you choose and if you are willing and able to do any of the prep work, like taking the wheels off to deliver the the tire shop.

Read fergy`s spline lube procedure and look at the pics to see why we recommend looking after the job ASAP.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Checking the charging system is to determne if the stator (alternator) is functioning properly.
A quick easy voltage check should reveal voltage climbing to ~14.5 volts @ 5K rpm.

Replacing the stator use to require pulling the engine.
(TuxedoSeven`s $20 engine case modification has given a quicker/easier/cheaper option to those who wrench on their own bikes.)
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

If you were to choose to have a shop do the work, they will still pull the engine and the cost will probably exceed $1,000.

Used bike check from the Vulcan Verses:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191

You may be able to use these tips as bargaining points on the price.

Good luck with the hunt. Hope you find a keeper.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Garage
One other question I would ask before driving a long distance is' Do you have a clear title and is it in your hand as we speak'. If he says he can yet it,,, then he would get it before I got there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement