My VN750 "A-Mod" chop - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

My VN750 "A-Mod" chop

Totally new here to this forum and new to riding. This is my first bike. A 1994 vn750. But like everything ells I get I was not happy with it the way it was "Stock". I had to do something about it. Like I said I don't know much about bikes but am pretty damn handy when it comes to pretty much anything.

Here is what I started with.

Pretty standard I guess. But not for long. Im almost done with this project but neglected to post anything until now. Please let me know what you guys think, suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

First thing i had to do was clean the carbs. I picked this bike up for $1100 off criagslist. It was running when I looked at it but was not running well. Would only idle died as soon as you tried to give it any amount of gas. Once I cleaned the carbs it seemed to run..... almost fine. Still some little issues with it.

Carb was gunked up. Main jets where completely clogged.

Here it it a little more cleaned up. Seat off (duh) running much better here. Also have the new handle bars on it. Those mini apes had to go. I decided to use clubman handlebars turned upside down as Ive seen many other do before. I initially installed some standard drag bars but did not have enough clearance over the tank so I had to scrap em.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

the next order of business was to chop that damn tail off!!!! what year is it now anyway...? No more 1980's "Purple Rain" banana seat on my bike!

U used a scrap of pine I had laying around in the garage as a guide to make my cut on the frame. I ripped the pine into a strip anout 1 1/2" by 1" by like 3 feet. I then clamped one end to the far rear bolt ear on the frame and another clamp up where the frame Y's together. This was a perfect line for me and a perfect guide for my sawzall!!! Did the same on both sides.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I wished I would have taken more pictures of the frame after I cut it to show how great my cuts came out haaa

But here is the bike right after the cut. I also took somewhere between 6" and 8" off from the front end of teh rear fender. (the portion under the seat) This allowed me to move the fender forward and re-mount it using the exisintg fender bolt holes. I just moved my mounting bolts up to the threaded holes just behind the rear shocks.

I also wished I would have gotten more pictures of the seat mods. I tore apart the seat and cut the seat pan into a nice solo seat shape. Once I was happy with it I placed the foam back on to the seat and shaved the back off. I also decided to take about 1" - 1 1/2" of foam off the top of the cushion to lower the seating position a little bit.

Here is what it looks like with the fender and seat mocked up

After this I had to figure out a way to mount the seat to the bike. What I came up with was to remove the existing seat bolt mounts at the rear of the old seat. I drilled out the rivets and the relocated them up underneath the seat pan, I mounted them on the underside of the pan were the left and right sides fold down the side of the bike. (Sorry I don't have any good pics of this right now).

From here I took some stock aluminum I think it was 1/2" x 1/8" stock and fabricated a couple of mounting brackets that then extend out from the existing mounting brackets (that are now in there new position) to just behind the rear shocks. I then just used the same bolts I am using to mount the fender to hold these brackets to the frame which in turn holds the seat in place. I did end up buying some longer bolts to run through the brackets and into the fender. about 1/4" longer than the stock ones, and in black rather than chrome.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Nice job. I like how the rear fender looks.
Jim

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I went round and round on the seat whether to reupholster or to just modify the existing cover. In the end I chopped and re used the existing seat cover and re fastened it.

Here you can kinda see the cuts I made on the frame. the aluminum seat brakes are not on the seat in these pics.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Nice job. I like how the rear fender looks.
Jim
Thanks!!!! Making the cut to the fender was not much fun was hard to get nice straight lines. however that portion is kinda hidden below the seat in the frame anyway so after sanding it down and straightening up the lines as much as possible I think it came out pretty good. I do think I maybe took about 1/2" too much but it still works out just fine.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Now is where I really went round and round... I knew there was no whay I could re use or would want to re use the stock tailight. So I searched for some time for a light that I liked. I wanted a stock light from a stock bike. I want my bike to look totally custom but almost stock at the same time (im thinking less hassle from the 5-0 the better) SO If I got a stock light from anotehr bike then the light is techincally "DOT Approved"

the light I found that I liked the most was off a 2008 honda VTX 1800.

Thank you E-bay I picked one up for $50.

There really was no good way to test fit without cutting since about 1/3 of the tailight is designed to be recessed. so I busted out the saw and went to town on the fender.

I used bondo to fill in all the old mounting holes from the old lights. You can also see my seat brackets in these pics.

Here is the first actual "test fit" of the taillight transplant

You can also see I started sanding the tins.

The problem I ran into with the taillight is that the fender for a VTX is really very flat and has very little curve to it at all. So in order to get it to fit the contours of the Vulcan fender I used a belt sander to grind up the edges of the light right in the middle and basically ground the curve I needed into the taillight housing to fit the fender.

This was good but not good enough, I still had about a 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the fender and the rear most point of the taillight. I ended up using bondo to build up and form the fender into the shape of the light at the back. I feel it came out pretty good and got rid of the gap.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
what are you doing for rear turn signals? BTW I really dig where you are going with this
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Young Gun

Killin it man! I dig it. What's the plan on mounting the license plate?

1990 VN 750
First (hopefully last) time in the shop:
Carb rebuild New brakes front and back New radiator fan
I've done:
Spline Lube New (used - non-leaky) Gas Tank New Fork Seals New Pirelli tires New Yuasa Maintenance Free Battery
Fresh Dexcool coolant Upgraded Shunt-type R/R (Relocated) Headlight Bypass Stator tested - PASSED
Clutch Swap - EBC Street Racer Frictions with new eBayed steels ACCT to MCCT conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement