85 vn700 $500 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Question 85 vn700 $500

All, looking at a 85 vn700 for my son. It looks to be whole and seems to run ok. Tires are hard and dried, but hold air. Bike has been ridden very little in the last few years. Cosmetically, paint ok, decals faded, most crome has some blemishes or minor rust spots. Bike has 9400 miles and I can buy for $500. These bikes forsale on web seem to be minimal. Question, Is the bike worth this and will it be marketable after tires and minor parts if my son decides to size up in a couple years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bj31702
If your good with a wrench possibly a good deal its hard to say tho. It might run great or need an overhaul. I got mine with 10ish K miles on it and spent a little over 1,000 and needed a starter when I bought it and ran it for 2 years before upsizing. It was a great bike to learn on. I personally think the vn700 was the best looking of them all

'09 Nomad e sold
'85 VN700 A1 (needs work)
'11 Voyager
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 PM

It's definitely worth it. If it actually runs, it's a great deal. If it hasn't been ridden much, I would expect to have to clean the fuel system. Not a big deal and you can get all the help you need from this forum.

You can definitely get more for it if you get it running right and with good tires and all, but most people that actually own one have a hard time letting go lol. It's a great bike and packs a lot of power for a cruiser. It's faster than most bigger cruisers as well.

Might want to consider that if your son has never ridden a bike at all. I did learn on it though, so it's possible, just make him remember to respect it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
All, looking at a 85 vn700 for my son. It looks to be whole and seems to run ok. Tires are hard and dried, but hold air. Bike has been ridden very little in the last few years. Cosmetically, paint ok, decals faded, most crome has some blemishes or minor rust spots. Bike has 9400 miles and I can buy for $500. These bikes forsale on web seem to be minimal. Question, Is the bike worth this and will it be marketable after tires and minor parts if my son decides to size up in a couple years?
In my opinion grab it up. For $500 you could part it out and get more than that out of it. Check the inside of the tank for rust. If you find any we can help you clean it out and treat the metal to prevent a reoccurance.

Put on a set of tires, change all the fluids, follow fergy`s instructions for a rear spline lube, polish the chrome and aluminum trim and your son will have a great bike.

Might need a new MF battery and Iridium plugs down the road a bit.

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

If you can ride it home, then it is definitely a great deal.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Hey man, where are you located? If you dont jump on it I might, like I need another bike, already have 4 but at that price you'd be a fool not to buy it.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks all for the info and thoughts. Called the guy tonight and told him I would be to get the bike Wednesday.
I think my son will be ok with bike, he's 17 and routinely saddles WR450. He has also signed up for safety class that's free before his 18th birhtday.
Also, what is recommended source for parts and accessories?
I know that I need some new air filters.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM

it would be a great starter bike. I usually bring a bike to my mechanic to check it out before I buy it, but if it runs. you can't beat that price. I also agree if it takes a total dump you could sell parts off of it for more than 500.00.
good luck!

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Also, what is recommended source for parts and accessories?
I know that I need some new air filters.

Ebay and on here, you'll find everything that you'll ever need with those two sources for that bike.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 PM

cheapcycleparts.com is not a bad source for OEM parts if you're not in a hurry. I've ordered several times from them.

x2 on ebay as well. Depends on whatcha need.

Asking here for specific things is always a good idea. If we don't have it, we know where you can get it.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement