Hard starting when bike has been running a while - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Hard starting when bike has been running a while

Just like the title says. Started it up this morning and rode 4 blocks to the gas station. Filled up and it started right up. Went to the bank about a mile away. Came out about 5 minutes later and again started right up. Rode on the highway for about 15 miles, stopped and came back in about 10 minutes and it would turn over, but not start. After about 15 minutes of randomly trying, it finally kicked over like there was never a problem. Had this problem before, and first thought was something to do with the intake. All lines are good, no cracks on the boots. No big problem when I ride to work as I don't stop till I get there, then come back out 10 hours later.

If it were a 2 stroke, I'd wonder about the top end needing redone. But it's not, and it only has just over 23k on the motor.

Next thought was the valves, but it seems like it would be hard to start all the time if that was it.

I've got fire and spark, so I'm thinking it's the carbs. Really hoping someone knows a simple fix rather than taking the carbs off. Major PITA, and the wife has a to do list about a mile long so the quicker I can fix it, the better.

Thanks!

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 PM

I am thinking POOGS since you jsut got gas and doing some stop and go stuff.. could be your battery is a bit weak as well.
here is the write up on POOGS.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17572
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Been using Sea Foam? Iridium plugs in it? How oid is the battery? Have you driven enough highway miles to keep the battery charged?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure it's not POOGS since it runs fine, never had the out of gas syndrome. Checked the fuel vent line when I check the intake and boots. Been using seafaom in it for the 2 1/2 years I've had it. New iridium plugs last year along with two new air filters and a new battery three weeks ago. Got the gas at the same place I always do, just more expensive now. The ride to work and back everyday is a 40 mile trip, most of that is open road or highway.

Nice moring so when I got out on the highway opened it up to 95. Ran like a top. Stop and go traffic, runs fine. When I try to start it, it gives a little backfire, so I'm almost thinking maybe a stuck needle and it's getting flooded.

Got everything to change over to mcct's, just need the time to install those. Don't think that's the problem though.

Got me scratching my head for sure.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Calif Rider

I would say that you should look up the coil pick-up adjustment in the threads. I always had that problem after the bike get hot, It takes about 10 minutes for the bike to cool down and it will start. Adjusting the pick-ups will give you a hotter spark and a lot easier to start when hot, and you should not get the back fire when starting the bike hot.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
I would say that you should look up the coil pick-up adjustment in the threads. I always had that problem after the bike get hot, It takes about 10 minutes for the bike to cool down and it will start. Adjusting the pick-ups will give you a hotter spark and a lot easier to start when hot, and you should not get the back fire when starting the bike hot.
LINK:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34298778/P...oil-Adjustment

Partial quote from above link.
Quote:
To adjust the clearance, remove the two screws which secure the pick up coils to the stator cover. You will most likely need to slightly elongate or slot the holes in the "ears" of the pick up coil mounting brackets. Gary indicates that a chain saw file works well for this but I used a rotary tool with a small grinding wheel on it.

You will also see that there are 3 small protrusions coming out of the stator cover that each of the mounting "ears" of the pick up coils fit into for proper placement from the factory.

You will most likely have to knock the one closest to the center off to be able to make the necessary adjustment. A sharp chisel works well for this although you may want to cover the holes in the stator cover with something to prevent the little piece from falling inside the engine.
Once the protrusions are knocked off and the holes are elongated, it is time to put the pick up coils back on
Note red highlighted section in quote: One member notched the pickup coil mounting "ears" with a small file to fit around the center protrusion or tab, instead of knocking the protrusion off the stator cover with a chisel as suggested in the writeup.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like I told myself I was going to set the gap on the pick up coils once before. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do that in the next week or so. Extra hours at the second job this week and next, so can't say for sure when. I'll be sure to post the results when I finally do get to that.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement