So I have read through much of the forum including much of the verses as well as the 10 things for new 750 riders, or is it 10 things for new riders, or the 15 things for old riders coming back or whatever it is called.
Anyway, here is where I am at and I would like some suggestions.
'91 VN750 21.5K miles
First off - Defenite will do list
1. Once over with torque wrench on all nuts
2. Oil Change & Filter
3. Radiator Fluid change
4. SPLINE LUBE (I finally figured out what this is!!!)
5. Battery (Unfortunately I just put in a brand new battery before I heard about these maintenance free ones, guess that's for next spring)
6. New Plugs and Air Filter
7. Drain Gas and check Tank for Rust. (Replace gas filter)
8. Brake fluid change (is this really necessary)
Secondly (This is where I would like some suggestions / comments)
Bike backfires a bit, also seems to take a second or two to come down to normal idle speeds after throttling up. PO thinks the carbs need to be cleaned. I didn't notice any issues with throttle cable, but I will admit I don't entirely know what to look for.
So, having said that, I read somewhere on here, easy first, hard second.
Initially I was just planning on pulling and cleaning carbs, now I have ammended this to:
1. SeaFoam treatment (trying to find some more details about exactly how to do this) or GUMOUT in carbs. (preference?)
2. Synch Carbs before trying to clean to see if that helps
3. If all else fails pull carbs and clean.
Finally, question about the tires
Front tire needs to be replaced, too much dry rot for my taste.
Rear tire looks good.
Should I change both? I would rather not since I am working on a limited budget.
Furthermore, I read somewhere about changing tire size, is this a good idea, and can I start this process by only changing the front tire first and the rear at a later date, or do these need to be changed together.