Waiting for spring... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Talking Waiting for spring...

Well, I took the cover off the "other woman" the other day. It's that time again, well for me it's the first time anyway, of taking my bike out of storage and getting her ready for my first full season of riding. I went ahead and bought an AGM battery, full synthetic 10-40 Amsoil, and some new air filters. Installed the new battery and fired her up. Took a couple of tries but she finally kicked over. Ah the sound and the smell got me fired up to ride right then! But I was only doing the oil change, so I had to pace myself. So I let it run, brought it out of the garage so as not to kill myself before I got to ride, parked it on the driveway and threw a ball or two with our dog while it was warming up the oil. 10 minutes or so and I shut her down and wheeled it back in the garage to change the oil. Pulled the plug, let it drain, didn't forget to pull off the filler cap, installed new filter (K&N), cleaned it up a bit then put 4 quarts of oil in. I bought 5 because the manual says it holds 4.2 but when I put the 4 in and ran it again and shut it off, the oil in the window came up to the top with the slightest of a bubble so I figured she was good to go with 4. Then I proceeded to check everything else. Coolant was topped off. Lights all worked. Tire pressure was brought up to spec's. Brake fluid checked. So I figured it was time for a ride around the block. Told the wife I was going out, jumped on the bike, and headed out. About halfway through the trip I noticed that when shifting through the gears, it was a lot smoother. Last year it was a bit of an effort to get it through the gears, but with the synthetic, it is really smooth now. Clicks right into gear. I had read it somewhere about using synthetic for a smoother shift so that's why I went with that. Well I'll be if it wasn't right. So the trip ended and I put her back in her spot in the garage. Went inside and thanked the wife for letting me get the bike last year. Now I'm waiting for some warmer weather here in Illinois. The day I took her out of storage it was about 55 degrees and the day after it dropped to a high of about 30 for the next week. So I'm sitting here writing this because the feeling I had when doing the work on the bike is one I hope everyone feels. Of winter being over, warm weather just around the corner and wanting to throw a leg over and hit the road. It's a good feeling to have and not soon to be missed...

1994 Vulcan 750
Purchased 10/07/10
Memphis Windshield
Saddlebags (maker unknown)
11,117 miles on it when bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 06:57 AM

I hear ya, bro. We've had a sporadic warm, dry day intermixed with a lot of cold, snow and general rainy mess. But on the good days, when I get to take the beast out for a run...well, there's nothing like it. Just makes me more anxious for the riding season to come full swing. Still have some maintenance to do...mount new tires, spline lube, new fork seals, etc. But all that prep just makes me wanna get on and ride 'til there's no more road.

Here's to the new riding season when we'll all get to fly in the wind. Ride safe, bro.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
same here, we had 70 last week and snow this week, I was ready to start riding to work but it needs to be at least 55 degrees constant as its an hour trip

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
Sponsored Links
Advertisement