*** New & Improved Repair Manual *** - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM

What exactly is different in this? I opened up yours and TOC's, and everything looked exactly the same to me, other than the extra advertising at the beginning. I didn't go through the whole thing, but I searched and clicked on the bookmarks, and everything looked the same. I switched between two tabs in the same window, and I couldn't tell them apart for anything I looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Is there a copyright infringement issue with the downloadable Kaw manual on the TOC site, this new manual link, OR the PDF that kanuck proposes above?
I don't know all the details of TOC's file, but I'm guessing that they're all in violation of copyright law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I'm not to concerned about it. What I posted is not for proffit & it's a better version of something that already exsisted. Now for the possibility of creating a "new" one with better images. I'm sure there is some possiblity of something. If I was to do it I would simply post it on my same online storage site & if you guy's happened to know of my site aka link, well I can't stop you from downloading it as it's set to a public share. Absolutly anyone could down load it. Besides, who here would complain about it? lol I am curious how you ended up getting warnings when so many of us freely shared that link to anyone who needed it. We weren't hosting it & TOC offered it free of charge. You don't even have to register with them to down load it. That seems pretty open domain to me. But I'm not legal expert by any means.
Taking someone else's work (the manual in this case) and redistributing it violates copyright laws. It doesn't matter whether or not you're doing it for profit. It's their work, and they get to determine what sort of distribution they want to allow for it. If you don't have their permission, you're doing it illegally. Most situations like this one are generally overlooked, since you're not really hurting their sales of anything (and might actually be helping their bike sales by having the manual available), but it is still technically illegal.

Public domain means nothing if you're getting it from a source who doesn't have rights to distribute it. You can't simply steal something, then say it's public domain. Only the entity that actually holds the rights to the work can choose to relinquish those rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidChaos View Post
I must say, just got the Haynes manual in the mail today, hardcover and clear pics. Gonna try to figure out a way to digitize it to post on here b/c I have seen a few complaints about difficulty to see pictures.
Again, this is exactly what copyright law is designed to prevent. Why should anyone buy a Haynes manual (which they obviously spent time and money producing) when you're giving away copies of their work for free?

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I like these PDF manuals. I'm just trying to explain copyright law, since a lot of people don't really understand it. If you wanted to write your own service manual with your own instructions and illustrations, go right ahead. However, anything that redistributes Kaw's manual or is a modified version of it requires Kaw's permission, because it belongs to them. And if you did go to all the trouble of making your own service manual, copyright laws would protect your rights to your work, so that others couldn't distribute it against your wishes.

Whether or not these copyright laws are still appropriate for this day and age is a completely different matter, but this is what the law currently says.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Thanks Bill. Your explaination is about what I already believed to be true.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Love My Baby

I went to download this manual using the link provided in the first post. Found out that there was a $9.95 monthly subscription that I would be agreeing to if I downloaded it. PLEASE read the "Terms of Service" and scroll to the end. Also you will see the fee on the text message you are sent to verify your cell phone number prior to downloading.

Is this happening to others as well, or was it just me????

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
I just clicked the link & didn't get any of that. I'm not sure what happened for you. It's a simple click to download. Here's a screen capture of what the page should look like. If your seeing something different, I'm not sure what to say. This is what I see every time.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM

"Grease gas and blood" ...... Funniest thing I've heard in a while .... thanks!
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Scratches in the dirt ...

Thanks!! Currently having starting problems (not battery) so I can use the indexing.

GrayFox ~v~ 16511
"Guthrun" 2002 VN750 bought in 04 with 1100 mi.
9000 miles as of Oct 08
Kawasaki F&S: engine guard, turn signal relocation kit, extended passenger backrest, saddlebag supports, V-Force shield.
W&M saddlebags, Beavisí voltmeter,
Gremlin bell, Chrome coolant cover, Chrome radiator frame, Fringe, Westco MF-AGM battery, Iridium plugs.
Photos at:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fox13/Guthrun/
Sub folders: radiator frame install, voltmeter install>
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM

Thank you
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM

KANUCK: Great find. Thank you for ALL of us members that do our own repairs.
Amsoil man

Marbled
Pick ups reset
Splines lubed
Kenda Kruz tires 110Frt. / 170 rear
Custom saddle seat
Backrest
1500 classic rear fender
Cobra slants /Custom Made turndowns
Diamond Plate Buffalo Leather Bags
Throttle lock
Front bearings repacked