Spline Lube Cost - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Spline Lube Cost

Ok, I just bought a 2004 vn740 with just over 11k miles. Got a great deal I think. paid $2925 for it and it is VERY clean.

I have a question on the spline lube thing. I am not very mechanically inclined and would feel better if my local Kawi dealer did the lube job on the spline. (The bike has to be formally inspected anyway).

How much am I looking at for the lube job? And how long should it take? Is it something I can wait for or should I plan on leaving it there for the day?

Thanks for all your help. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Where are you located? (go to your profile and edit your info so we can maybe help you regionally) If there's someone in your area maybe they'll be kind enough to help you do the lube job. It is an easy job to do, and would be a great introduction into the maintenance of these bike for you as a new owner, kind of get your feet wet and take ownership, so to speak.

It's always a crap shoot when you pay a dealership to do the lube job, unless they'll let you watch (supervise) which most won't. (that's the only way I'd ever agree to let someone else do it for me!) You'll read enough stories on here where the dealership didn't even know what we were asking them to do and in my case, they changed the final drive oil, and in the process, broke the front flange off my left muffler (which didn't even need to be removed to do the job!) and didn't lube the splines! so I caution you ahead of time. If you insist on having them do it, print the instructions with photos so you'll have something to go by while you watch them do the job. Whatever they charge you will be too much in my opinion, but I'm heavily biased in my opinion as you can imagine. The procedure is below in my sig. If you are in my area, I'll gladly help you, teach you, while we get it done right and save you a wad of cash! It might cost you a cold glass of iced tea.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm1031 View Post
Ok, I just bought a 2004 vn740 with just over 11k miles. Got a great deal I think. paid $2925 for it and it is VERY clean.

I have a question on the spline lube thing. I am not very mechanically inclined and would feel better if my local Kawi dealer did the lube job on the spline. (The bike has to be formally inspected anyway).

How much am I looking at for the lube job? And how long should it take? Is it something I can wait for or should I plan on leaving it there for the day?

Thanks for all your help. I will post pictures as soon as I can.
If the tires on your 2004 tire are original or 5 or more years old, then they need to be replaced, regardless of thread and condition. Mounting new tires is the best time to spline lube because removing the rear tire is most of the work. My dealer did the spline lube on my '06 when I had my tires mounted last spring. Charged for grease and orings, but not the labor since I payed a flat rate of $90 for the tire mount and balance.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Giggity!

Garage
Definitly a procedure you'll want to do your self. It might take an hour with questions lol. Fergy said it well. Heck, if your central ohio area I'd help you out. Welcome to the group!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM

If you want it done right, do it yourself. Fergy's how-to makes it simple. Fixing to do my second lube soon.

If you are absolutely, positively going to have it done, bring your bike and your money here. I'll do it for less than the shop, and use the proper lubricant!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the input. I know you folks think I should do it myself, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the right end of a hammer.

I would feel better having a pro do it. The local Kawi dealer is very good and has an excellent reputation. I work a block from them and do some other business with them Never heard a bad word about them.

So it shouldnt be alot is what I am gathering from these posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
If the tires on your 2004 tire are original or 5 or more years old, then they need to be replaced, regardless of thread and condition. Mounting new tires is the best time to spline lube because removing the rear tire is most of the work. My dealer did the spline lube on my '06 when I had my tires mounted last spring. Charged for grease and orings, but not the labor since I payed a flat rate of $90 for the tire mount and balance.
Yep, if you need to let the dealer do it, also if you need a new rear tire do both at the same time...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcm1031 View Post
I appreciate the input. I know you folks think I should do it myself, but sometimes I have a hard time finding the right end of a hammer.

I would feel better having a pro do it. The local Kawi dealer is very good and has an excellent reputation. I work a block from them and do some other business with them Never heard a bad word about them.

So it shouldnt be alot is what I am gathering from these posts.
If you must go this way, I would recommend at the least that you pick up a 3 oz tube of Honda Moly 60 and insist they use it on your splines. I can almost guarantee they will not have Moly grease in their shop and will use regular axle grease otherwise.

The most overlooked scheduled maintenance item in a shaft drive motorcycle manual is the drive shaft spline lube. There are plenty of techs in motorcycle shops that have never done this procedure and wouldn't know what you are even talking about. I took my bike the day after I bought it to the shop in Conroe that everyone recommended, the shop that had the great reputation, and you saw my original post in this thread and know what they did, so I'm just emphasizing that you proceed with caution!

Not to beat a dead horse, but this would be a great time for you to learn which end of the hammer is the business end! Where are you located?

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I know I know, my wife tells me that all the time. But I work alot of hours and I prefer to be just mechanically inclined enough to get me out of jams. The rest I will gladly pay for - besides it stimulates the economy!

I am in the Albany NY area where winter has planned on staying right through the Fourth of July this year! Snow and rain predicted for the weekend.

Where can I get this Honda Moly 60 stuff? Local Honda dealers have it?

This forum is great! The posts have answered most of my questions. I am sure I will have more.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Most Honda shops stock it. You might call ahead so they can get it if they're out. Make sure you get it back after they do the job as it only takes about half or less of the tube to do the job. No use in wasting or "donating" the unused portion!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement