Really need help now with my throttle cables... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wareagle1970

Really need help now with my throttle cables...

Well, now I have a bigger problem... After KM told me that the throttle grip eyelets should be positioned below the handlebars when you go to reattach the throttle cables to the grip, I just went out and noticed that the grip was positioned with the eyelets below the handlebars, but I still could not get the throttle to turn freely. Removed the assembly cover and now the front plastic eyelet as you are sitting on the bike has broken... What the heck am I doing wrong? I did notice the rear throttle cable had a fair amount of slack in it. Tried manually moving the throttle assembly on the right side of the carbs forward and backward, but all that did was tighten and loosen the front throttle cable at the handle bars...

Unfortunately, I do not have our camera with me. I am in NC and my family is still back in MS trying to sell our house...

I really, really need help now. Figured this was going to be a relatively easy task, but has turned into a nightmare... With the bike shop being closed tomorrow, I'm not sure what I can do from here...

** Note. Is the front cable the pull cable and the one closest to you as you are sitting on the bike the push cable, or do I have them backwards?

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC

Last edited by carolesteven; 03-27-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:39 PM

you have them right.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM

fyi.. stick with one thread.. it gets hard to follow when you have more than 1 for the same issue.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wareagle1970

Sorry again for the multiple threads... Just really need some help on this. Last night I thought my first post didn't go through, so I reposted...

Is there anyway possible that you or anyone else could take some pictures of the throttle cables at full deceleration and as they are installed within the
starter switch assembly (i.e., with the top part of that starter switch assembly removed)?

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 PM

I wish!.. I am stuck in a a hotel 180 miles away... ment to work on the bike yesterday but biz ran over..UGH...search thru some of the members pics.. I seem to recall some good pics on there.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Wareagle1970

will look for some pictures on here. Have been trying to google for some pictures, but haven't been successful so far...

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:10 PM

do you have the PDF manual? or the Clymer manual?.. I belive they have some good pics of them.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
do you have the PDF manual? or the Clymer manual?.. I belive they have some good pics of them.
Have the Clymer physical manual. Could not find a picture throughout the manual of how the cables are mounted at full throttle resting position.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I'm really not sure what 'throttle grip eyelets' are or what being asked for or done with these cables, but I'll try to answer based on what I think is going on. By 'throttle grip eyelets' I will assume that these are the connection eyelets for the deceleration and acceleration cables. If that is true, then the rest of this post will also be true.

I just lubed my cables a few weeks ago and on my '06 the cable attachment eyelets face UP. That allows both deceleration and acceleration cables to be pulled up and over the top of the throttle tube as the throttle is rolled on and off.

I don't have pictures, but I'll attempt to paint one;

When standing on the right side of the bike, throttle cables properly installed and the top switch pod cover off (exposing the throttle cables);
Consider the throttle as a clock face:
  • The connection eyelets are at 2 o'clock in normal position.
  • Deceleration cable wraps up over the throttle tube from the left and is clearly visible from about 7 o'clock to 2 o'clock (where the throttle tube connection eyelet is).
  • Acceleration cable is not visible. The acceleration cable connector is visible in the throttle tube connection eyelet.
  • Roll the throttle on and the throttle tube connection eyelets move counterclockwise as the acceleration cable comes into view rolling over the top of the throttle tube.
When sitting on the bike, throttle cables properly installed and the top switch pod cover off (exposing the throttle cables);
  • The deceleration cable is closest to the rider and clearly visible as it runs up and over the throttle tube to the connection eyelet.
  • The acceleration farthest away and not visible.
  • The cable connection eyelets face up and forward, away from the rider, resting on the front portion of the bottom switch pod cover.
  • Roll the throttle on and the deceleration cable will shorten as it is pulled back toward the carbs, the throttle cable connection eyelets move toward the rider and the acceleration cable will come into view as it is pulled up and over the throttle tube.

Not sure if this helps.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 03-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Wareagle1970

pretty good picture you painted. I assume in your next to last bullet that by considering the throttle as a clock you are talking about looking at the throttle from the end of the throttle itself.

As you are sitting on the bike, the acceleration cable goes into the hole on the bottom of the switch assembly closest to the rider, correct? The push or deceleration cable goes in the other hole furthest from the rider?

Sorry for all the rookie questions.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC