Looking at a getting a bike - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Looking at a getting a bike

I am new here and new to the biking world. I am looking into purchasing a 93 750. I looked at the bike today and there is some good, some bad and some that I just dont know. The bike has 18,000 miles on it, but it started right up and idled real smooth. This guy bought it and the head gasket went so he replaced that, put in a new battery ect. The bike seems to be really dry as far as leaks go and stuff like that. He replaced all the fluids and fork seals. It is not 100% cosmetically, there are some scratches and rust forming on some of the chrome and such. He wants 1500 for it. What do you guys think, and what should I look for next time I go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:28 AM

Garage
Sounds about average, I've seen them go for more. Especially now that the riding season is coming for us in the Northern parts of the Country. Did he let you take it out for a spin?

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Take a digital volt meter and a 10mm socket wrench with a 3" extention and ratchet handle with you to take the seat off and check the battery and charging system.

Unlock the toolbox on the seatback to get to two 10mm bolts holding the seat on.
Hopefully the new battery is a Maintenance Free-Absorbed Glass Mat (MF-AGM) style with a "sealed" top, (looks like this)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

not an old style wet cell (like this one), with 6 removable caps to add distilled water regularly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UB14L...item1c0e106a3f

Battery voltage at the terminals should be 12.5-13.2v with the engine off.
Watch the voltage as owner starts the engine and slowly revs it up to 5,000 rpm.
Voltage should gradually climb starting at ~2500 rpm to about 14.5v at 5k rpm.
If it does, the stator/alternator and regulator/rectifier are probably in good shape.

Ask if the rear splines between the diveshaft and final drive were lubricated when the rear tire was replaced the last time. Unless he is a member of this forum, he probably won`t know. Many/most dealership shop "mechanics" don`t even know which splines to lube, how to do it or which lube to use, (Honda Moly60). Don`t worry though, we can teach you to do it yourself. Even if you have no wrenching experience. Honest, we really can!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Check the tires for wear and cupping on the tread along with any checking/cracking on the sidewalls.
Also check the manufacturing date code on the sidewall.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Even if the tires look brand new, if the code indicates tires are 5 years old or more, consider they should probably be replaced at a cost of $2-300. Others may consider they should be changed before they get even that old.

Open the tank cap and take a look inside with a flashlight. Look to see if it is clean or rusty. Sniff it to determine if the gas is fresh or old and rancid. You said the bike idled well, so the tank and gas are probably fine.

The owners asking price sounds fairly reasonable to me at the beginning of the riding season. See what others closer to you think is a fair price. Where do you live?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I am from albany, ny
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Have a mechanic look at it. That's what I would do. 18,000 miles is not alot at all. I bought my 94 vulcan 750 for 1,000.00 and it had 23,000 miles on it. If mechanic says it runs good. See if you can knock it down to $1200.00. Bring cash and have all fifty dollar bills. wave it in front of him and say would you take 1200.00 cash! The owner of my bike wanted 1500.00 and after my mechanic checked it out. I waved a grand in front of him and he took it without hesitation. My bike is near mint condition.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM

buy it run like hell and then we can go from there... the vn750 is a mighty beast that few know of!..if you ask all those questions the guys is just gonna look at you like you are speaking another langage cause he isn't on this site...get it and go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement